SolarCity

Updated December 17, 2014
3.5

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • When you work for Solar City, you are helping to change the world for the better (in 15 reviews)

• Working at SolarCity really makes you feel like you are making a difference in the world (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult, especially in an entry-level sales position (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours and their plan is to make everyone work weekends and that includes Sunday (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

One Team One Dream!

Former Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Fresno, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Since the day I started with SolarCity everything has been great. My previous job in sales had a good atmosphere but something was missing. I didn't know at the time but that something was a purpose. At SolarCity I found that purpose and for me it's sustainability. Money can't be your only driver in life, although the pay is great and the benefits are amazing, knowing that I'm doing something that is going to change the world for the better is what really drives me. On top of that the company leads the way in the solar industry and has innovators like Elon Musk fueling the fire. In sales reputation is everything so when you've got a good company behind you like SCTY it makes you that much more credible to the customer. I love my job here and am very thankful this opportunity came my way. Very excited to see what the future holds for SolarCity and renewables in general.

Cons

Must have good work ethic and be a people person. Organization is key as well, if your not that person direct sales may not be for you.

Keep up the good work and continue to build the awesome culture that fuels the solar movement.

Treated like a number; better be close friends with management if you wish to go anywhere!

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) Commission is pretty good (when they pay you correctly, every commission statement I've ever received is wrong)
    2) Company car is a nice perk
    3) A lot of really good people work here, management is the issue

Cons

1) When I started there was 6 people doing sales in the area, now there is over 30 with the exact same number of leads. The management team, has flooded the floor with all of their close friends and gives the quality leads to them.
    2) Treated like a number. Does not matter how consistent your numbers are, promotions go to the person who had the hot month. Sold 10-13 every month and missed out on a promotion to a guy 2 months into the job that sold 4 & 17 his 2 months.
    3) Zero help from management, they have WAY too many people to stay on top of so they do not give you the personal help you need.
    4) Culture of dishonesty promoted. During my 2 day training the manager tried to teach me to lower the amount of kw/h the customer uses per month in order to make their SolarCity payment lower. Then customer uses what they use and get a huge bill from the utility. Shady way to do business and it is taught from the Director level on down.
    5) Something like a 35% cancellation rate in Central California, hard to earn a living when you lose 3-4 of the 10 deals you close monthly. (10 is generous nearly everyone sold less than 5 last month; see too many salespeople for the leads provided)

There is a huge issue in Central California and it starts with the Directors on down to the RSM's. You need to take a look at what is going and fix it before you lose some very talented people. Nobody wants to work in an environment where they have to lie and cheat to be successful but that is what is being taught by the management team.

I believe that Lyndon and Pete have good hearts but have some bad people working here. Hopefully they look into it and make the changes that need to be made.

You are a Number

Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Fresno, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by people who really care about what they do. Everyone at Solarcity is motivated and eager to advance in the company. It is a rapidly growing company and an industry leader with undoubtedly the best notoriety in solar. The executive team is very inspiring and cares deeply about the company and the future of energy use.

Cons

Lower Management is often very pressuring on the entry level teams. Numbers in the sales departments and operations departments are everything. Long hours were encouraged and overtime is not awarded, though it is sometimes necessary to succeed. Morale can be low on the team because of turn over and pressure to meet minimum expectations. Often, there is a disconnect between headquarters and regional offices. The culture and enthusiasm of the executive team is not synonymous with lower management. Very cut and dry expectations.

Be very wary of what practices and training is given by lower management. Often, the employee that speaks out against company practices in sales are ostracized and eventually phased out of the company. Turn over remains high because the attitude is If you aren't good enough, we'll find someone to replace you. Compensation and employee benefits change drastically. Far too often, what is promised or announced for the teams are not what comes to fruition. This breaks the spirit of many entry level employees.

I want to help people?

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is only one reason I would consider this position; helping people save on their electric bills. It is truly a gig where you can walk in to 3 family houses every day and honestly bless them financially.

Cons

Company is constantly redefining their metric for what they consider success for most positions. This is common for disruptive technologies and high growth companies. Unfortunately, it means that you will not have any job security for first five years. Everyone's head is always on the block.

As you know, you have an amazing offering... However, you do not have an amazing marketing strategy. Instead of constantly threatening to lop off the heads of your sales teams (who really are on board with your vision), try to help them tell the story of how the average family can truly benefit by signing up. It is only natural for American's to be skeptical when they are offered something so beneficial with absolutely no upfront investment. Use that to our advantage... Uncommon value is your prison, uncommon marketing is your key.

SolarCity has been the best employment experience thus far.

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant (FEC) in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant (FEC) in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working with SolarCity for a couple reasons. One is that the company is set to change the world, one roof top at a time. While doing this they are also making a difference in 3rd world countries, giving power to kids in schools that have never seen a light bulb (amazing). There committment to there employees is 2nd to none when it comes to "taking care of their employees". Compensation is rewarding, benefits are above and beyond, and the family enviorment that can be received is comforting as well. If you see a fit with us, please reach out, we would love to have you as a part of the SolarCity Family.

Cons

My downfall with SolarCity is very simple. I really love my job so I have a tendancy to work to many hours. I always feel like I can make one more call, or knock on one more door, and/or just help one more family anyway possible.

Please help all employees establish a well balanced life with SolarCity Life, Health Life, Family Life, and Social Life. I know that I am not the only person at SolarCity that feels this way. No matter how much we love what we are doing......never forget the simple things in life, always appreciate everyday that is given to you, and always remember where you can go (anywhere) if you set you mind to it. Thank you Elon, The Rive's, and the entire SolarCity Family......ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM BABY!!!!!!!

A very pleasant work enviroment

Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great good work environment

Cons

Very little room for growth (promotion)

Promote those that work hard and take pride in there work

Great Place to work with lost of opportunity for growth! Fun company with an amazing mission

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

you get to be apart of the next big Change

Cons

With change come the need to be willing to adapt quickly

Believe in a better way :-)

Sell solar .

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Sell solar systems to costumers in the greater Fresno area. Sell solar systems to costumers in the greater Fresno area.

Cons

Need more training and mentoring from the management team. Need more training and mentoring from the management team.

This is an amazing company and has been an incrediable ride.

Current Employee - Field Energey Consultant in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energey Consultant in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting work , helping people and the world. Great compensation and advancement for those that want it and are willing to work ofr it.

Cons

It is intense, demanding, everchanging and evolving . You need to be able to go with the flow.
    Can be long hours and weeks, but where else can you write your own pay check.

While working hard is all well and good, allowances should be set up to allow for vac. and time off without penaltys or ridacule.

General Sales Position: Generate leads, in home consultation, contact management, Close Deals.

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of experience in the industry, brand awareness, partner with The Home Depot, have done big name projects and have big name partners.

Cons

Growing incredibly fast...right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, sales team has tripled this year and will double again very soon. Not many company generated leads or marketing, push to have sales reps do door-to-door lead generation. Sales managers try to help but have too many people to manage (for a company that is as fluid as this one is).