SolarCity

Updated December 20, 2014
3.9

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • When you work for Solar City, you are helping to change the world for the better (in 15 reviews)

• Working at SolarCity really makes you feel like you are making a difference in the world (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult, especially in an entry-level sales position (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours and their plan is to make everyone work weekends and that includes Sunday (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Having worked in a multitude of positions and departments, I've realized SolarCity is valuable for career development.

Current Employee - Structural EIT in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Structural EIT in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SolarCity has given me the opportunity to work my way from a 12$/hr grunt to an overpaid engineer capable of making more than my parents. The people who work at this company make the office an experience one that I look forward to being a part of each day. EVERYONE I have worked with is caring, funny, laid back, and always willing to lend a hand.

Cons

SolarCity, like most startups and quickly growing companies, hires eager young employees and asks them to work tirelessly to stretch the compensation provided. By this I mean young people work harder and longer and for less. This is the target employee base for this company. In my opinion, this makes for a better workplace though, as I am one of those people who likes to work hard!

SolarCity Employer Experience

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Why work at SolarCity? Because the solar industry is booming and opportunities for growth are THERE. Don't expect to get anything handed to you, that's not what SolarCity is about. But if you work your tail off and are willing to treat your career like a jungle gym and not like a ladder, you're guaranteed to make some waves and get your foot in the door to some awesome positions! Not to mention, the awesome people you will meet along the way!

Cons

Challenges I've experienced is with particular managers - but what job doesn't have this problem on occassion? SolarCity is huge on culture and hiring A+ players. If you can't keep up with the A players, it's likely you'll be frustrated here.

My advice to management would be to assess the managers you have and ask for feedback on ones you may be "iffy" about. Let's only keep the best at SolarCity. If we want trust, awesome culture, hard workers, we need the same from management. Management needs to be able to keep up with the A players that they are overseeing.

Energy Consultant

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Awesome staff, management, pay potential, benefits. This is the best opportunity I've had in sales. The company seeks to do the right thing in all situations. I've personally seen the company lose money to take care of the customer.
    Also, they have stepped up in my personal compensation structure when they didn't have to. Growth is frenetic and advancement is available to anyone who wants it. I was offered mentor position at 2 months and again at 5 months. Work hard and smart and the sky is the limit

Cons

The only con is if you can't handle change. Promotions are rapid. Communication sometimes loses out in the face of new opportunity. If you're s 'sell it and forget it' type this isn't the company for you. Project management and follow through are critical.

Love the energy and atmosphere. Would like to see our charitable efforts stay in the USA rather than 3rd world countries. Provide sales staff with project managers based on performance.

OM

Current Employee - Office Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

great atmosphere and co-workers in locations

Cons

travel often required at times

Amazing company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

It's hard to overstate how cool it is to work here.

Superior business model; cutting edge technology; elite personnel. People seem genuinely happy, probably because they are invested in the cause of clean energy, and they believe in the business model. There is an incredible culture that encourages teamwork, ambition, and groundbreaking performance.

Cons

A company growing this fast hits some start-up style challenges.

One Team One Dream!

Former Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Fresno, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Since the day I started with SolarCity everything has been great. My previous job in sales had a good atmosphere but something was missing. I didn't know at the time but that something was a purpose. At SolarCity I found that purpose and for me it's sustainability. Money can't be your only driver in life, although the pay is great and the benefits are amazing, knowing that I'm doing something that is going to change the world for the better is what really drives me. On top of that the company leads the way in the solar industry and has innovators like Elon Musk fueling the fire. In sales reputation is everything so when you've got a good company behind you like SCTY it makes you that much more credible to the customer. I love my job here and am very thankful this opportunity came my way. Very excited to see what the future holds for SolarCity and renewables in general.

Cons

Must have good work ethic and be a people person. Organization is key as well, if your not that person direct sales may not be for you.

Keep up the good work and continue to build the awesome culture that fuels the solar movement.

So super everyone seems to support on another and really like what they do. There seems to be alot of pride and kindness

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Elmsford, NY
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Elmsford, NY

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Ther is growth poyenyial and it is cutting edge

Cons

Technology is always improving and it is hard to Kehoe up with

More access to turorials and training

Professional and Polished

Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor
    Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The leading solar energy company with a presence in The Home Depot and Best Buy throughout California. They have three ways for a homeowner to put solar panels on their roof(s) and cut their electric bills. Excellent training. Provide employees with all the tools necessary for the job.

Cons

Standing for 8-10 hours every day.Some locations are very "slow," so there can be a lot of down time.

SolarCity has great Mentors like Arty and Jody, relatable and down to earth boss like Tina. We're all competitive here!

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Beaumont, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Beaumont, CA

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Salary plus commission, great leaders, positive environment, a company that really supports you and just all around great company to work for.

Cons

A few negative Nancys every once and awhile.

Keep it up :) .

Amazing Company to work for

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Energy Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Great training, you control your schedule, lots of potential to make serious $$$$, and the benefits and way above average. They take care of their people and reward you for a job well done. Two thumbs up!

Cons

If you are lazy and like to complain about hard work, this isn't the job for you. This is for hungry and aggressive sales people! Nothing less.

Keep up the good work