SolarCity

Updated August 25, 2014

3.8

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I'm inspired and excited to work for such an amazing company!

Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to get paid for supplying a service that doesn't cost anything and every day I'm saving people on their energy bills. Not only that, the service that I'm providing is helping save the environment and our planet! I also get to meet great people every day and help them join our movement toward cleaner cheaper energy. I'm can't say how proud I am to work for such an innovative and supportive company that has their head in the right game!

Cons

My position is a Sr. Field Energy Consultant. My job is driving around to different homes to help promote our product. It is a very demanding job. There is hardly a day that I do not function or perform my duties. Although, every day that I am working, I am doing something that I truely believe in and having fun while I do it. As much as I do work, I love my job so I don't feel like I am working.

I don't think everyone has the same fortune I have had when it comes to management. I am on my second manager since we split our team and have doubled our size. My first manager, now promoted and continuing his long streak of success at SolarCity, was amazing. He helped inspire me and mold my abilities into the successful solar consultant that I am. My new manager is also wonderful and always supportive when needed.

One of the best growing organization to Learn and Dream with many opportunities!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Passion, Growth, Open Communication and Balance of work life

Cons

Still growing at rapid pace so sometimes some deicisions may back fire...

SolarCity is providing the Opportunity of a Lifetime!!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orange, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love this place. I am ecstatic to be a part of such a wonderful company. SolarCity is growing at an amazing pace and the opportunity for advancement is huge. I have seen promotions given to SolarCity employees over outside applicants, which is something not all companies practice. If you are looking for a career with a company that promotes from the inside then SolarCity is the place you want to be at. Compensation varies by position all sales positions currently have an uncapped commission structure. SolarCity offers competitive benefits, as well as paid sick and vacation time off. SolarCity provides jobs for thousands of people and has taken action that will enable it to create even more jobs here in the United States. At SolarCity I have found happy friendly smiling colleagues whom are always rooting for each other and willing to help one another. My job is to help people save money and the environment by facilitating their switch to cleaner less expensive Solar Energy. In other words SolarCity is paying me to help make the world a better place for my children and grandchildren, Amazing!

Cons

I have yet to find anything that I am not happy about; I have been with the company a little over a month.

I love this place thanks for the true open door policy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Real Opportunities!

Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant  in  Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Monterey, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an amazing company for goal oriented individuals. This is the first time in my professional career that growth opportunities presented to me during my recruitment were more than just carrots that were being dangled to make everyone work harder. Not only was I promoted twice within my first year with the company, but I watched several colleagues move into new roles as well.

Cons

Because the company is growing so quickly, you MUST be open to change. Although there is an each-one-teach-one philosophy, there will not be a lot of hand holding. Make sure you bring your track shoes. You will have to hit the ground running.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Wow, we couldn't have said it better ourselves. We foster an environment where we work hard and reward hard work! Given our extremely fast, ‘fly by the seat of your pants’ culture we’re glad to ... More

Great company, lots of opportunities, and forward thinking environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits and stock options, fun environment to work in. The company offers many opportunities for growth and encourages learning and moving up.

Cons

New company growing fast, so lots of hard work to be done. You must be available even when "off hours" due to the nature of the job, but are only called on in emergency.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for outlining the parts of SolarCity you enjoy. We try to make sure we have fun while making the world a better place! Your extra work during our growing phase is greatly appreciated.

Believing in a better way!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at SolarCity as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

As a recruiter at SolarCity I am provided the opportunity to identify talent for a company that is on the leading edge of residential solar power generation. SolarCity has a vision and the drive to be successful with an already proven track record of employee growth, development and is agile enough to make changes on the fly to bridge employment needs.

Cons

Much like any company in it's infancy, change is common place. But the desire to change for the right reasons is amicable and well thought out albeit difficult at times. Although change has a tendency to effect the growth rate negatively, the goal is to increase our ability to provide high level talent to an already tremendously successful sales/operations organization with much success. Change is akin to growing pains that will subside as the company becomes an adult.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you not only for your feedback, but for your commitment to SolarCity. You are right, we are a fast-paced company that is always changing. We definitely need top-level talent like you to ... More

Outstanding Training, all the right tools are provided.

Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, it feels like Apple as far as culture and teamwork. High Energy.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us-- we feel communication and training are the keys to success! We are happy to know things are going well and we will continue to deliver our employees ... More

My experience here is great. The staff is awesome! I love working here.

Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator  in  Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reason to work here are the people. Everyone here is smart. Each staff member knows their role in the company. You won't feel overworked.

Cons

The challenges here are the weather and unhappy customers. You need to be adaptable because things can change at any moment. Also try to be polite to customers because that goes a long way.

My advice to upper management would be to spend a day out of the office. Try doing someone else's job for the day. See what they go through. This way you can be more understanding towards them.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The company’s success is built on the hard work each employee puts in every day. SolarCity is a machine with many parts and it’s important that we all work ... More

LOVE MY JOB!

Current Employee - Site Survey Scheduler  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Site Survey Scheduler in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training was AMAZING! At first I thought I was wasting time by learning other departments and things that didn't pertain to me but I was wrong, everything goes hand in hand! I love my job, the people I work for and waking up every morning to come to a job that I enjoy being at is one in a million.

Cons

I don't have any at the moment and can't foresee ever having any

Everyone should be offered the training I received! My friend was recently hired but only got 4 hrs of training before she was sent to her department and missed out on shadowing other departments which I feel is very important so that other people understand the full operations of the company.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

We are happy to hear that your first experiences at SolarCity have been insightful and fun! That is exactly how we want our new hires to feel. We will make sure to pass along your feedback on ... More

Great company!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vision of the company, rewarded excellent performance.

Cons

A few growing pains, but not bad.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. Great management starts from the top and we are grateful to have such inspiring leaders.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!