SolarCity

Updated October 20, 2014
3.9

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 14 reviews)

• Working at SolarCity really makes you feel like you are making a difference in the world (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and their plan is to make everyone work weekends and that includes Sunday (in 22 reviews)

• This company is growing so rapidly that I sometimes feel unrecognized (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Natures first green is gold

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North East, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North East, MD

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is rare to be able to work for an employer who provides an accessible & money saving product to consumers, an innovative and inspiring investment on the stock exchange, and a growing provider of employment to US citizens. Most importantly, I'm able to consult and sell a product that is clean and green.

Cons

I have no complaints. They have invested in my talents (from the beginning) in a way that has never previously been afforded to me in my 20 years as an employee and independent contractor.

Study, grow and share the tools and workflows that are used by your most successful teams. ie "A day in the field with...."

A Brief Review From a 5-Year Employee

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SolarCity is the leader of an industry with explosive growth on the horizon. Working for SolarCity gives you accelerated upward mobility opportunities that are rarely found in today's job market.

Cons

Like any fast growing company, there are growing pains that come along with exciting new developments and processes. The best candidates for work with SolarCity are people who can not only adapt to change, but help create the path to success.

Due to our aggressive growth plans, SolarCity leadership has a tendency to marginalize the efforts of lower level position employees. I feel that the company is getting too top heavy.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

For the first time, I work for a company that genuinely cares for their employees. It also feels great to be a part of something huge and innovative, that is actively contributing to the greater good of the planet and the population. I absolutely love what I do. The energy is unbelievably positive here- and I mean unbelievably. I thought it was all a facade until I stayed awhile and realized, we're all just actually ecstatic to be here. I love the company values, I love the passion, and the room for growth is definitely a motivator.

Cons

I have no complaints. Really.

I love you guys!!!

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialest in Lancaster, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialest in Lancaster, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good base pay, uncapped bonuses, instant health benefits

Cons

pressure for numbers, you mostly work alone,

working more is FES's and helping them reach quota

SolarCity has been a rush of new technology, growth, and great people

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

If you enjoy fast pace and can keep up with change this is the place for you

Cons

This industry is very competitive and SolarCity strives to be the best so you have to stay open to more efficient ways to get things done

Keep up the good work we understand it takes a certain group of people to become the best and Foster City is doing whatever we can to help keep and get the company there

A financially rewarding career!

Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Granite Bay, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Granite Bay, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture here is amazing. I came from retail and this is night and day. I never thought I would want to go back into sales after working in sales for 5-6 years but this is different. I don't feel like I am selling. I am doing home owners a favor by educating them on this great opportunity to go solar. So the pressure isn't the same as old sales jobs. It feels so good to help a family out, to make a huge difference in their life and the planet. Its rewarding and I make great money doing it. The company is growing so fast so there is a lot of room for growth here. I love that! So many cool changes and they are always for the better. I hope to retire here and continue telling y family and friends about SolarCity!

Cons

It takes a few months to start making money so make sure you have money saved before coming over. I wasn't a phones sales person so it took me a little longer to get it but not I do very well and make great money.

Keep up the great work. We can always get better and I believe here we are very good about giving feedback.

A return to my dot com days, only better.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people who want to make a change. Ability to make a stamp on a growing organization.

Cons

Health benefits/401K don't start for a month or more after you start. A bit crazy/disorganized. Parking is offsite. They have a shuttle that runs very frequently, but it still adds some extra time to my commute.

Keep doing what you're doing.

My experience has been great! It feels good to be a part of something leading edge and green.

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Visalia, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an FES, I enjoy being able to talk to new people every day and having some freedom over my tasks. I feel solar energy is the way of the future and I'm excited to be a part of that. Hours are not rediculous and the compensation is more than fair. I'm also very pleased with the benefits package

Cons

Only con I have that is not to big a deal, is that they do not match your 401k contributions, but maybe that can change in the future

What a fantastic experience!

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At SolarCity, we work with the highest caliber of individuals out there. My colleagues are great to work with and learn from. We are all working toward the same goal and feel that we are one big team. I've never had so much fun, nor fet so fulfilled, working as hard as we do. If you can get a job offer with SolarCity, I'd highly recommend that you accept it. I hope to work with this amazing company for another 15-20 years.

Cons

50 - 55 hour work week is standard. Lots of work to be done! I don't necessarily view this as a con, but it can be tougher to balance work and family.

Very pleased with the management.

I have never worked for a more amazing company!

Current Employee - FEC in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - FEC in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company has a high standard of ethics toward employees. The benefits are amazing! Paid time off! 12 weeks maternity! Stock options! I have been sent to Vegas twice! Once for training and once for an award show that everyone in the entire company got to attend, not just the top producers. They treated us all like we were all top producers that night! There is so much potential for growth within the company. I love that they do not micromanage! They hired me to do a job and they trust that I will do what I was hired too! The sales crew fosters a team environment everyone is here to help each other to succeed and I love it!

Cons

I work hard! Like real hard! Like sometimes 12 -13 hours in a day out of the house - and then there is the stuff that should be done at home. Granted it is by choice and is not required but that is what I have found is neccessary to do exceed quota.

With so many new RSM's and with the companies focus on rapid growth, I don't feel that the newbies get the training or attention that they should. The training procedure is very sink or swim and doesn't seem to follow any course. There is alot to learn in alittle time and it should be alittle more organized than it is.