SolarCity

Updated September 21, 2014
3.8

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Pay, Flexibility required

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist  in  Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Visalia, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, full benefits, employee ownership, feel like part of the team, growth opportunities, making a difference in the world and in peoples daily lives

Cons

Sales team goals are not the same on all levels, specialist goals don't transfer equally to consultant goals. Also because of rapid growth, there is constant change taking place

With all the growth, it feels like sometimes we get lost in the shuffle, and training should be continuous an ongoing. Only real training I received was on how to input opps in salesforce, but not on how to approach customers and get them to sign up, which is the more important part of my job...

Inspiring mission, awesome people, and endless growth opportunities!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked for some of the best and most innovative companies in the world, but SolarCity has been the most exciting and rewarding! Not only do I get to work with amazing people across the company, I also feel like my work is helping make a tangible and positive impact on the world. The energy and passion of the executives is genuine and transparent, and that sets the foundation for a collaborative, team-oriented, and dynamic employee culture. I've seen huge growth in the short time I've been with the company and we're not slowing down. I look forward to going to work each day and I'm excited to grow my career as part of the SolarCity team!

Cons

The only constant at SolarCity is change. Because we are growing so quickly, every day brings something new. While that is exciting and motivating for some people, it is not for everyone.

Continue with the humble and transparent leadership across the company. It makes every employee feel like part of the team and drives us to want to work even harder to achieve our goals. One Team, One Dream!

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Granite Bay, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granite Bay, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

We work hard and we play hard. This company is all about success and helping each other acheive it. I have never been with a company where EVERY single person wants to help you succeed. We get to work with great people, help people save on their electricity rates, and help save the planet. What more could you ask for ?! It's a no brainer...I work in sales for a company where I never have to worry about lying to my customer. When I help a customer go Solar through SolarCity, they literally are doing nothing but saving and getting cleaner energy.

Save the planet one rooftop at a time.

Cons

Honestly, the only con is when a customer doesn't understand what you are doing for them because they think it's too good to be true. It can get a little frustrating when you are just trying to show a customer that this is not only to save them now, but it will help to exponentially save as the years go on... and it doesn't cost them anything out of pocket!!!!
    I just want to help people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Place to work !!

Current Employee - Documentation Specialist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

They Make you feel welcome, all of your peers make themselves available to help you out !! The company cares about your welfare !!

Cons

The Sick time/off time accrual policy is a little funky

SolarCity is the best company in the world, period!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

SolarCity is changing the world for the better and if you are lucky enough to join our team you will soon agree.

Cons

The train moves fast so you have to try and keep up.

Keep on rocking!

Just started working a month and love it so far. The company does a great job at supplying all their employees

Current Employee - Site Surveyor  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Site Surveyor in Albany, NY

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people and awesome work. Get to travel and meet interesting customers and employees

Cons

I haven't seen any so far. The company is expanding a lot

Epic!

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is awesome, everybody has a great positive vibe. The Parties! we play hard, work smart and party hard.

Cons

Solar Energy is still considered new in the US, and we have to educate our self twice as hard so we can educate our customers and so they can share their knowledge with others. But we make it fun!

Excellent place to work!

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, hard working and smart people that are friendly and fun, passionate about energy issues, feels like a small company even though it's growing, lots of resources, benefits are nice

Cons

Vacation days are a bit limited, feel the need to restrict travel

Great company culture! I've really enjoyed my first month at SolarCity-- looking forward to continuing my career here.

Very positive working environment

Current Employee - Senior PV Designer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior PV Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having worked for a number of start up companies as well as Fortune 500 Engineering firms this is the best working environment that I have seen. The avg. age of employees is in mid 20s to mid 30s. It has a very positive vibe. My coworkers and the people around me are genuinly happy to be here. I like the work flexibility as well. As long as I get my projects done my manager doesn't care what times I come in or leave.

Cons

The company is growing very fast, so you should be able to keep up with changes within departments. There is no 401K matching and also no incentives for furthering your education.

The on-board training was not very organized. 401K matching would be a great benefit to add to the compensation package. Continuing education help/incentives would be welcomed.

The work is good and fun.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Visalia, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hard labor that you can be proud of.

Cons

Hot weather and hard work.

We need our warehouse to open in the area to increase productivity.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!