SolarCity

SolarCity Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive

Lyndon Rive

Pros:
  • "Great people, interesting company, fun work environment, high growth company"
    in 13 reviews
  • "SolarCity is a fast paced and incredible company to work for"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Like any other company that is growing we have our growing pains"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awe-inspiring company who is making a difference! Co-Founders are so inspirational!!!!

Sales (Current Employee)
    Bridgeport, CT

ProsWe are really, really making a difference and showing America that there really is a better way to get your energy! There is rapid growth, very upbeat, positive people throughout the company, who truly care about the environment and the company, and the company/employees are very customer focused!

ConsLots of nepotism, which isn't always a bad thing, but when it impedes recognition or promotions of deserving people, it creates a sticky environment. Pay is the same no matter where you live in the country, even though the cost of living is much higher in certain geographies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the nepotism. There is even an HR person who handles part of his wife's territories!!
    Also, pay should be associated with the cost of living in the geographical areas.

Flexible schedule and fantastic boss.

Field Energy Specialist (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsCompensation is generous and training was a bit of a challenge since I was not accustomed to using Salesforce in the past. The trainers were very patient because they themselves began in the same position.

Great yearly salary and generous bonus structure.
    We are helping the planet by lowering the carbon footprint as well as helping individuals save on their utilities.

ConsWorking with the public is challenging. When we discuss with individuals how we help them to save on their utility bill, some of them keep walking and others politely decline listening.

There is an upside-- when approached by a prospect others gather around to see what's going on and some do sign up for solar power.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do! You ladies and gentlemen are the best.

Best Job I have had

ProsGreat Benefits which you never appreciate until you work somewhere that is cheap on their insurance brokerage.

ConsAlthough the pay is the best I have had, I feel that starting salaries should be higher and increases should happen yearly because the staff here is definitely worth it. I often hear about people suffering form the high cost of living by long commutes and so on and wouldnt it be better for the environment if we all could easily commute to work by living closer?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and exciting!

ProsSolarCity is by far one of the best companies to work for. Management is very helpful and they spare no expense in helping you succeed.The energy within the company is amazing and they are in tune to the balance needed between work and personal life. Working here is amazing!

ConsIf you like sitting behind a desk this is not the place for you.

Changing the world everyday

Direct Energy Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI wish there was 10 stars, I think the world is about to think a lot smarter, and people will come together with the family and communities all around. Excellent Salesforce, and we're lubing the parts to a machine that has barely turned on yet.

ConsThere really are no cons. This is what I dreamed about my whole life. Just like for the homeowner when making the decision to save money, and the environment without any investment. Solarcity treats their employees with respect, as to the homeowners, and when they sign up the homeowners with solar they have a trusted, well mannered staff through every step of the way. There's a reason we're #1,

Advice to Senior ManagementGotta love the managers, everyone's time will come when we all could possibly be managers. Just work hard. Smart. And different. I work in Chico, and my teams great. People are learning what they're good at everyday. A couple things that would help are not on the managers side, it's on the process.... sometimes interest is coming in so fast it's hard to keep track of everyone you just signed up. Every office needs a personal OA office assistant to call, check emails, write emails, organize a visual agenda. This would lead to at least 20% solid growth. Dashboard style pay tracking system. Because the money needs to be cradled it is motivating for a representative to see daily about how much the kilowatts can add up and multiply, an old alarm company had a simple platform. Commercials eventually, company issued teslas. 1team1dream

Document Generation Specialist

Documentation Specialist (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsEach person is a vital part of the SolarCity family, and makes a difference!!
    Great Team!!
    Great Benefit and Incentive Programs!!
    Growth potential and career advancement opportunities!!

ConsGrowing Pains - workload not always in balance with workforce

Who's got it better than us? Nobody!

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
    Granite Bay, CA

ProsAmazing culture! Management that cares about their employees and their career growth as well as their own. Pay is outstanding for what you get to do all day. Execs really want to change the world and you can feel the passion even in the lower levels.

ConsI can see where if you aren't passionate or ambitious, this would get a bit overwhelming....A+ players only!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep caring and changing the world. Don't loose that inspiration

Freedom in a market I'm passionate about.

Direct Energy Consultant (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsCorporate Culture, Time freedom, Jobs for family and friends, Founder is a billionaire playboy who is also the worlds most recognized "Eco-philanthropist" with Tesla also in his list of companies. Future outlook on the company is extremely good and the market is booming. At the current moment of this review, we are adding a customer every 3 minutes.

ConsWorking in a market where their traditional literature and training doesn't apply some of my training was definitely on the job. The company is extremely well funded and has given us tens of thousands of dollars of software programs to use alone, but in my office I found many people didn't know of or how to use them. A problem that is seemingly an issue of my office not of offices in general as I meet more people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolarCity is extremely vertically integrated, and I would love a forum for those of us out in the field to have a blog (forum) to express issues in a way that upper management and executives and hear and understand the needs of those of us on the front lines fighting the battles they create.

Ever changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood overall mission and value statement. tons of freedom to do what you want as long as you get the job done

Conssalaries have gone down year to year.

Great company.

Operations (Current Employee)
    San Mateo, CA

ProsMost positions have incentive plans to boost income drastically without hitting impossible goals. It's fast paced and everyone works hard, but it's exciting to be a part of a company that is growing so quickly. Seems like only the best of the best are hired, very smart and socially likable people with good work ethics and who care about what we're accomplishing. Tons of job stability with room for career growth, good benefits, very competitive compensation, and a general feeling that everyone is being taken care of by the company. I highly recommend working for SolarCity if you're on the market or interested in making a switch to green energy.

ConsAgain, fast paced environment, but not sure if I'd call that a con as much as it's just part of the job. Not your 9 to 5 type of gig and that's not everyone's cup of tea. Parking is tricky.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!

SolarCity Videos

SolarCity – Why Work for Us?

Elon Musk at TED - 2013: "Solar will be the plurality of power within 20 years" SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to homeowners… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SolarCity reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SolarCity CEO Lyndon Rive. All 278 reviews posted anonymously by SolarCity employees.