SolarCity

www.solarcity.com

SolarCity Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
1,000 Reviews

4.1
1,000 Reviews

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

SolarCity is a company with an optimistic future and lots of room to better itself.

Current Employee - Operations  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very talented and well connected executives. Benefits are good. Stock options are especially lucrative for those who have been working for the company since before the IPO. But either way, its nice knowing that everyone is a part owner in the company. Expect to work side by side with positive people who enjoy their jobs. SolarCity is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the solar industry.

The company does a good job of promoting from within, while at the same time bringing in outside talent when necessary.

Cons

Right now, middle management could be stronger. SolarCity grows very rapidly and is forced to hire very quickly. Unfortunately, with the current model, they can not afford to be a company that's slow to hire and quick to fire. At times, the company has no choice but to hire or promote someone that is not quite qualified for the job yet.

We need to stress quality in every position from sales to install, not just speed. The operation moves fast and efficiently, thats great. The problem is that employees are making small mistakes that collectively cost the company a lot of money to fix. The operation is also designed so that employee #2 ends up fixing employee #1's mistakes. Employee #1 may be unaware that they ever make a mistake in the first place, and so is unable to learn from the error. A dedicated and detail oriented quality control manager in each office would pay for itself many times over.

Operating costs are through the roof. Local management needs to do something to curtail overtime hours and wasted materials. If SolarCity wants to survive without incentives, they won't be able to afford to be paying overtime, simple as that. Truth is, not very much is accomplished in the 9th or 10th hour of the work day anyways. Send people home, let them rest and spend time with their families. They will be more effective tomorrow. We have proved that we can grow at an outrageous pace, now lets show the skeptics that we can make a profit.

Amazing company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

SolarCity is a fast paced and incredible company to work for. I've been in many sales jobs and this is the first time in my career I enjoy going to work on a daily basis. Excellant management from top to bottom. You are given all the tools to succeed and are rewarded handsomely for it. I have found the company that I will retire from (hopefully, many years from now!).

Cons

If you're not willing to work hard, this is not the company for you.

Keep up the amazing work changing the world!

A short review on the field energy advisor position

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor  in  Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flagship for nation's largest solar installer, perks (e.g. Ultrabook, smartphone, etc.), company services many regions across the U.S., medical benefits, dental and vision, support alternative energy, great position for income-driven individuals

Cons

Highly stressful work environment, meeting quotas may require 60+ hours a week (including weekends and holidays), closed deals dependent on sales consignment, commission payment takes up to 6 weeks to clear, low retention rate, growth opportunities direct only in sales and management

Set better market metrics for advisor placement, create more structured scheduling for sales team, plan better team meetings, less micro-management, less emphasis on numbers and more on customer relationship

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is an amazing company and has been an incrediable ride.

Current Employee - Field Energey Consultant  in  Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energey Consultant in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting work , helping people and the world. Great compensation and advancement for those that want it and are willing to work ofr it.

Cons

It is intense, demanding, everchanging and evolving . You need to be able to go with the flow.
    Can be long hours and weeks, but where else can you write your own pay check.

While working hard is all well and good, allowances should be set up to allow for vac. and time off without penaltys or ridacule.

Great company for people who are passionate about their work

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

-SolarCity is a company who understands that they have to adapt, evolve and change to stay at the forefront of this industry. They are really responsive to most employee and customer feedback.
    -Promotions are all from within. If you work hard and do well you will be noticed and encouraged.
    -It's an exciting industry to be in that is rapidly growing
    - Whenever I tell people what I do they have a bunch of questions- that always makes me feel cool :-)
    - For people who are workaholics, passionate, detail oriented etc this is the perfect place for you. It will be recognized and rewarded. The bums will also be recognized and outed fairly quickly.
    -Excellent pay structure for outside sales staff. Good mix of salary, commission, bonus etc
    -Excellent health insurance and stock options...company car for outside sales people
    -Knowing that you are actually making a difference in the renewable energy field
    -Great technology

Cons

u- No matching contribution to 401k
    - Training can be a bit nuts...you really have to be motivated and willing to figure things out on your own and give it 100%
    - Having a monthly quota can be stressful at times especially at the beginning
    -Lots of growth is exciting but also means you have to ride the waves, have patience etc.

-Keep up the promotions from within. Very motivating.
    -Love the high energy on sales calls.
    -Consider making training period 4 mos instead of 3 and making the virtual training more regionalized so that people in the northeast aren't practicing on CA houses and can learn more about their specific area
    - Give some match to 401k, even if it didn't kick in until 1 year of employment

Exciting and at the same time Volitile

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great product
    -Disruptive technology
    -Feels good to help the environment
    -Great coworkers
    -Best software being used in the industry
    -Company is probably the best positioned company in the industry to last. The company is making strong efforts to make sure we can

Cons

-Relatively low pay for the work and for the industry
    -Most poeple feel that the pay scale is very top heavy on the executive level. I'm not talking about CEO level, but all the others.
    -There are so many new Directors, and RVP's and Area managers, it is impossible to keep track of the organization. And from the top view, this is probably fine. But for the underlings, it's not comforting to not know who you are actually working for.
    -The office is pretty drab. This is not your ping pong, free snacks and Odwala company. This is come in to work, sit in a cubicle and grind.
    -No benefits. Seriously, the benefits are really weak. In order to stay a lean, they have trimmed off all the fat. Can we get a gym discount??? Anything?
    -Jobs are cancelled if they aren't cookie cutter. We seem to start ideas and team and change them without giving them the full support necessary.
    -The company will change direction of the company on a dime. This leaves employees out in the cold many times.

You can't get rid of me I'm working hard to stay!!!

Current Employee - Crew Lead  in  Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Crew Lead in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very culture friendly, cherish the fact that promotions are from within-: from Crew Leads to ROM's one just need the proper work ethic coupled with the right workplace character, a lot of work,

Cons

bundle up winter is coming!!!

I'm all about helping the small man however from a business point of view what is best for the company is always first. In this weeks Team meeting I saw/heard where SolarCity will be donating a PV Solar system to selected Schools from any third world Country around the world "kudos to you SolarCity" now let me use this medium to throw my selection in the box (Mitchell's Hill Jr. High Sch. from Mitchells Hill, Clarendon Jamaica. btw maybe in the next quarterly or monthly prize running instead of winning a T-shirt an Employee/installer can win a small PV Solar System for his/her home. just a thought. keep the consistency coming!!!

Fast paced hard work

Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very well managed company with plenty of opportunity to learn and grow if you are a very hard working, workaholic type person and can maintain a positive, can do attitude regardless of whatever curveballs are thrown your way. The company's commitment to safety is first class and appreciated by all.

Cons

The drive for perfection and improvement is relentless. Results that earn you a bonus and an excellent review one year could be deemed inadequate and get your fired next year. Complacency is not tolerated. Nothing is really ever good enough. This is understandable in a highly competitive business. But it stresses employees to the max and makes it hard to maintain morale. Expect to work long hours and forget about being able to take any time off and don't get sick. The term "work life balance" is openly mocked by management. You are expected to make the company your first priority and any family obligations a distant second.

Get more ahead of the curve in working smarter rather than making people work harder. Make sure people aren't pushed so hard they burn out.

Believe in a Better Way and Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Granite Bay, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granite Bay, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a special time in the worlds history. If you want to be a part of something huge look here!

Cons

If you don't like upward mobility and hard work then stay away.

Listen to the boots on the ground we do a good job, but don't stop listening, improve and adapt.

It has been a great experience working for SolarCity

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great salary, awesome commission structure, and they offer fantastic benefits. So far I have worked forSolarCity for about 5 months now and I have never worked for a company as exciting and life changing as this company. Not only does SolarCity help our country here but it is also helping third world countries.

Cons

There are no downsides when you are passionate of what you do. If you like to work and you want to be compensated for your hard work this is the place to be. There is no negative when you are helping earth be a better tomorrow for our future generations.

My advice to management would be that we need to continue expanding to others stores where we can meet more people. It would be great if we can also expand to other states.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!