SolarCity

Updated August 18, 2014

3.8

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

Pros

Vision of the company, rewarded excellent performance.

Cons

A few growing pains, but not bad.

Believing in a better way!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

As a recruiter at SolarCity I am provided the opportunity to identify talent for a company that is on the leading edge of residential solar power generation. SolarCity has a vision and the drive to be successful with an already proven track record of employee growth, development and is agile enough to make changes on the fly to bridge employment needs.

Cons

Much like any company in it's infancy, change is common place. But the desire to change for the right reasons is amicable and well thought out albeit difficult at times. Although change has a tendency to effect the growth rate negatively, the goal is to increase our ability to provide high level talent to an already tremendously successful sales/operations organization with much success. Change is akin to growing pains that will subside as the company becomes an adult.

Great company, lots of opportunities, and forward thinking environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits and stock options, fun environment to work in. The company offers many opportunities for growth and encourages learning and moving up.

Cons

New company growing fast, so lots of hard work to be done. You must be available even when "off hours" due to the nature of the job, but are only called on in emergency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding Training, all the right tools are provided.

Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Culture, it feels like Apple as far as culture and teamwork. High Energy.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

My experience here is great. The staff is awesome! I love working here.

Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator  in  Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator in Cranbury, NJ

Pros

The best reason to work here are the people. Everyone here is smart. Each staff member knows their role in the company. You won't feel overworked.

Cons

The challenges here are the weather and unhappy customers. You need to be adaptable because things can change at any moment. Also try to be polite to customers because that goes a long way.

My advice to upper management would be to spend a day out of the office. Try doing someone else's job for the day. See what they go through. This way you can be more understanding towards them.

Real Opportunities!

Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant  in  Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Monterey, CA

Pros

This is an amazing company for goal oriented individuals. This is the first time in my professional career that growth opportunities presented to me during my recruitment were more than just carrots that were being dangled to make everyone work harder. Not only was I promoted twice within my first year with the company, but I watched several colleagues move into new roles as well.

Cons

Because the company is growing so quickly, you MUST be open to change. Although there is an each-one-teach-one philosophy, there will not be a lot of hand holding. Make sure you bring your track shoes. You will have to hit the ground running.

LOVE MY JOB!

Current Employee - Site Survey Scheduler  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Site Survey Scheduler in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Training was AMAZING! At first I thought I was wasting time by learning other departments and things that didn't pertain to me but I was wrong, everything goes hand in hand! I love my job, the people I work for and waking up every morning to come to a job that I enjoy being at is one in a million.

Cons

I don't have any at the moment and can't foresee ever having any

Everyone should be offered the training I received! My friend was recently hired but only got 4 hrs of training before she was sent to her department and missed out on shadowing other departments which I feel is very important so that other people understand the full operations of the company.

Doing good can also mean doing well.

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Chico, CA

Pros

Everyone like a win win situation... SolarCity is a win, win, win, win, win, win and so on situation. I win my doing WELL for my family, my customers win becauase they keep money they would otherwise surrender to a monopoly, the monopoly wins because we are helping them achieve a mandate for clean electricity with letting investment on their part AND we reduce stress on the aging grid AND we impose competitive pressure on them so, eventually the monopoly will no longer be a monopoly and will actually have to WORK to keep customers. The local community wins because we create and retain great paying jobs in the community at the same time as freeing our customer's budget to have more money to invest in local businesses. Local non profits win because of partnerships we create that put money in their coffers. And the EARTH wins because we are using the only unexhaustible completely non polluting source of energy thus reducing our dependance on finite and polluting sources of energy.

Cons

When you work for a cause you get caught up in it. Free time gets very limited so learn to make the most of it.

improve internal customer service attitude and communication. Interdepartment communication is very lacking. A problem is sometimes not solved because someone does not prioritize it while I am waiting on an answer that is important to a customer. Other times a problem solved but I am not aware of it because much of my time is spent behind a windshield instead of in front of my computer which means I can't stay on top of everything, a simple e-mail telling me that the situation has progressed or is solved would be very helpful.

Solar soldiers out to save the world from fossil fuels and high prices.

Current Employee - Installer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Installer in Dallas, TX

Pros

The people are the best, everyone in SolarCity is a rock star. We work hard, blood & sweat with no time for tears. The pay can't be beat either, thanks to bonuses and investment benefits.

Cons

Always working in the extremes of all types of weather on the roof. Could be 110° F - 30° F, wet or dry and everything in between.

We should create a design team within Dallas, TX that understand the local codes and designs

Flexible schedule and fantastic boss.

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Compensation is generous and training was a bit of a challenge since I was not accustomed to using Salesforce in the past. The trainers were very patient because they themselves began in the same position.

Great yearly salary and generous bonus structure.
    We are helping the planet by lowering the carbon footprint as well as helping individuals save on their utilities.

Cons

Working with the public is challenging. When we discuss with individuals how we help them to save on their utility bill, some of them keep walking and others politely decline listening.

There is an upside-- when approached by a prospect others gather around to see what's going on and some do sign up for solar power.

Keep doing what you do! You ladies and gentlemen are the best.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!