SolarCity

Updated September 19, 2014
3.8

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Place to work !!

Current Employee - Documentation Specialist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Documentation Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

They Make you feel welcome, all of your peers make themselves available to help you out !! The company cares about your welfare !!

Cons

The Sick time/off time accrual policy is a little funky

The work is good and fun.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Visalia, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hard labor that you can be proud of.

Cons

Hot weather and hard work.

We need our warehouse to open in the area to increase productivity.

Very positive working environment

Current Employee - Senior PV Designer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior PV Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having worked for a number of start up companies as well as Fortune 500 Engineering firms this is the best working environment that I have seen. The avg. age of employees is in mid 20s to mid 30s. It has a very positive vibe. My coworkers and the people around me are genuinly happy to be here. I like the work flexibility as well. As long as I get my projects done my manager doesn't care what times I come in or leave.

Cons

The company is growing very fast, so you should be able to keep up with changes within departments. There is no 401K matching and also no incentives for furthering your education.

The on-board training was not very organized. 401K matching would be a great benefit to add to the compensation package. Continuing education help/incentives would be welcomed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work!

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, hard working and smart people that are friendly and fun, passionate about energy issues, feels like a small company even though it's growing, lots of resources, benefits are nice

Cons

Vacation days are a bit limited, feel the need to restrict travel

Great company culture! I've really enjoyed my first month at SolarCity-- looking forward to continuing my career here.

Epic!

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is awesome, everybody has a great positive vibe. The Parties! we play hard, work smart and party hard.

Cons

Solar Energy is still considered new in the US, and we have to educate our self twice as hard so we can educate our customers and so they can share their knowledge with others. But we make it fun!

Just started working a month and love it so far. The company does a great job at supplying all their employees

Current Employee - Site Surveyor  in  Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Site Surveyor in Albany, NY

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people and awesome work. Get to travel and meet interesting customers and employees

Cons

I haven't seen any so far. The company is expanding a lot

Solar jobs

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Big company with opportunity for advancment

Cons

hard to apply with phone

make it easier to apply off a smart phone

Once in a lifetime Company

Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is one of the most exciting organizations that i have ever been around. There are talented and motivated people at every level and because all employees are granted stock options, there are few problems with people working here for the wrong reason. Almost every employee is bonus-ed as well, so top performers succeed and push the business. The business model is absolutely genius and the company is still just a baby compared to where it will be in the next 5, 10 and 20 years. I just completed my year mark here, and my favorite thing about the company is the constant change. In order to be truly innovative and change the world, it requires the whole company to be very flexible. The company has hired almost 5000 employees this year, but still feels like a small company because of its ability to change and grow quickly.

Cons

It is not a place for you if you don't like change, growth and being pushed to reach your maximum potential. This is not a place to just collect a pay check. You will have to give 100% when working, or you will not make it. It is an organization full of A players- if that is intimidating or scary, this is not the place for you,

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Granite Bay, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granite Bay, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

We work hard and we play hard. This company is all about success and helping each other acheive it. I have never been with a company where EVERY single person wants to help you succeed. We get to work with great people, help people save on their electricity rates, and help save the planet. What more could you ask for ?! It's a no brainer...I work in sales for a company where I never have to worry about lying to my customer. When I help a customer go Solar through SolarCity, they literally are doing nothing but saving and getting cleaner energy.

Save the planet one rooftop at a time.

Cons

Honestly, the only con is when a customer doesn't understand what you are doing for them because they think it's too good to be true. It can get a little frustrating when you are just trying to show a customer that this is not only to save them now, but it will help to exponentially save as the years go on... and it doesn't cost them anything out of pocket!!!!
    I just want to help people.

Fast-growing, energetic, modern and forward-thinking

Former Employee - Customer Relations  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Relations in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive environment, open-minded individuals, generous on-site perks (snacks, drinks, coffee, etc.), profit shares for every employee, allowed to be self-sufficient

Cons

Not the greatest starting salary for most positions, so fast-growing that things can be a little hectic, a lot to learn in a short period, fast-paced to the point of craziness sometimes, positions are always changing, opening, being filled, etc.

Ensure that during this period of extremely fast growth you do not lose sight of what makes SolarCity a great place for employees (and customers!) Make sure the vision and values are not lost and that employees can keep up.

SolarCity Response

Sep 8, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our energetic workplace- we care about having an environment that’s conducive to great ... More

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!