SolarCity

Updated September 13, 2014
3.8

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay & Management

Current Employee - Customer Care  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

there are none expect maybe the coffee

Cons

God forbid that your new your supervisors don't ask how your doing, don't even acknowledge most of their own team members no Hi or good morning no face to face contact they will walk by you 6 times, and not say nothing but then email you when something is wrong like your supposed to know better. When nothing is explained to you out of training, this is not how they protrayed it to me in the interview I feel like a bother to management when I need help and they pay per hour to do this job is way below what it should be reading contracts and design blue prints turning on electric panels with the customer all the extra emails and notes and follow up's are worth way more than the base pay especially when you are left on your own to figure it out when there is a issue!!!

Need more seasoned adults to be supervisor's and for scheduling shifts and days the time your open til is riduclous no calls from 7 to 8:30pm! and more personable management I understand email is easy but where is the support where is the "one team one dream" if nobody personally talks to each other especially supervisors to their teams good morning hi how are you are not difffcult

Solar jobs

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

Big company with opportunity for advancment

Cons

hard to apply with phone

make it easier to apply off a smart phone

Growing pains & Favoritism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits including stocks, 401K, health. dental, vacation, sick pay

Cons

High in favoritism & Politics.Volunteering for shift work and on weekends gets you nowhere. So many people moving around in the company nothing is consistent. They like to stick to their 20 something year old employees and get rid of the older people. If you arent in the In crowd you are nothing. Almost Every person who moved from San Mateo to Vegas has been promoted. My boss was hired at a random public event

Go back to your original calling. This is not grade school and we dont like being talked to like we are children. Stop listening to the person voted "most likeable" and decide for yourself who is good for the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough work

Current Employee - Junior PV Installer  in  Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Junior PV Installer in Henderson, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

I look forward to better days

Cons

It's tough starting off with a new office, but we're still getting the jobs done with excellent quality.

Keep up the good work!

Once in a lifetime Company

Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is one of the most exciting organizations that i have ever been around. There are talented and motivated people at every level and because all employees are granted stock options, there are few problems with people working here for the wrong reason. Almost every employee is bonus-ed as well, so top performers succeed and push the business. The business model is absolutely genius and the company is still just a baby compared to where it will be in the next 5, 10 and 20 years. I just completed my year mark here, and my favorite thing about the company is the constant change. In order to be truly innovative and change the world, it requires the whole company to be very flexible. The company has hired almost 5000 employees this year, but still feels like a small company because of its ability to change and grow quickly.

Cons

It is not a place for you if you don't like change, growth and being pushed to reach your maximum potential. This is not a place to just collect a pay check. You will have to give 100% when working, or you will not make it. It is an organization full of A players- if that is intimidating or scary, this is not the place for you,

This company is fast paced, ever changing and on the way up.

Current Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Making a positive change in the world and all the tools needed to do so

Cons

Constant change, not allowing for cause and effect to take place.

lead by example, feels like there is a big disconnect between upper level management and the rest of the employees.

In this ever changing and challenging industry, SolarCity is the #1 company to work for, grow with and thrive.

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

In sales we manager our own schedules, set challenging goals, work as a team, celebrate the wins and take planned time off to renew and relax. It's a culture of growth and we are challenged daily to achieve our best for the BIG picture of a global mission.

Cons

The bar is set fairly high for performance. This isn't a place where you can coast or let off the gas for long. The demand is excellence and those that refuse to grow go away. Expect to be challenged and learn new information quickly.

Get into the minds and daily challenges of those of us in the field, face to face with our customers. Implement changes based on our feedback so that we can deliver better results and happier customer experiences. Consider lowering quota requirement for months when we take paid time off (it would be nice to plan a 2-3 week vacation w/out having to worry about quota).

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Granite Bay, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granite Bay, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

We work hard and we play hard. This company is all about success and helping each other acheive it. I have never been with a company where EVERY single person wants to help you succeed. We get to work with great people, help people save on their electricity rates, and help save the planet. What more could you ask for ?! It's a no brainer...I work in sales for a company where I never have to worry about lying to my customer. When I help a customer go Solar through SolarCity, they literally are doing nothing but saving and getting cleaner energy.

Save the planet one rooftop at a time.

Cons

Honestly, the only con is when a customer doesn't understand what you are doing for them because they think it's too good to be true. It can get a little frustrating when you are just trying to show a customer that this is not only to save them now, but it will help to exponentially save as the years go on... and it doesn't cost them anything out of pocket!!!!
    I just want to help people.

Fast-growing, energetic, modern and forward-thinking

Former Employee - Customer Relations  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Relations in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive environment, open-minded individuals, generous on-site perks (snacks, drinks, coffee, etc.), profit shares for every employee, allowed to be self-sufficient

Cons

Not the greatest starting salary for most positions, so fast-growing that things can be a little hectic, a lot to learn in a short period, fast-paced to the point of craziness sometimes, positions are always changing, opening, being filled, etc.

Ensure that during this period of extremely fast growth you do not lose sight of what makes SolarCity a great place for employees (and customers!) Make sure the vision and values are not lost and that employees can keep up.

SolarCity Response

Sep 8, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our energetic workplace- we care about having an environment that’s conducive to great ... More

The BEST place I have ever worked!!! LOVE to go to work everyday!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company values - everyone likes each other. Not a stuffy corporate environment at all. We have fun at work - we work hard. We are the BEST in the industry and we all take pride saving the planet one panel at a time. Harder you work the more money you make - company is AMAZING!!!!!

Cons

fast paced environment - growing so quick hard to keep up with change at times

communication

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!