SolarCity

Updated August 29, 2014

3.8

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families (in 11 reviews)

• Good experience with fast paced high expectations sales (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and sometimes hard work maybe not pay out (in 17 reviews)

• if you are salaried, be prepared for family drama due to work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Its a big farce

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Brentwood, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

It sounded great in the beginning and you get a couple free trips to Vegas. The work balance to me was relaxed but I didn't have a difficult time selling the product.

Cons

It made me a little uncomfortable when I started and nobody on the sales team for the entire Bay Area had been there for more than a year including my Regional Sales Manager. My Director had only been there a year and a half. They bring you in to get your network and then have you set up all your leads as "ambassadors." Once they have your network they don't really need you anymore. If you have an off month or two in a row they will terminate you and not compensate you on any or your sales that have not been completed by the installation team. They owe me over $10,000 and it will cost me that in legal fee's to get it. Huge screw job being financed by the American tax payer. They continue to cut the comp plans for their sales teams in an attempt to fuel unrealistic growth. Shame on SolarCity.

Get sales leadership with ethics and build your business at a rate that you can keep up with operationally. Stop taking advantage of American consumers and your employees. Anyone who invests in this stock long term is out of their mind. My manager once told me the company was "too big to fail." I don't think that is the case.

SolarCity is providing the Opportunity of a Lifetime!!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Orange, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love this place. I am ecstatic to be a part of such a wonderful company. SolarCity is growing at an amazing pace and the opportunity for advancement is huge. I have seen promotions given to SolarCity employees over outside applicants, which is something not all companies practice. If you are looking for a career with a company that promotes from the inside then SolarCity is the place you want to be at. Compensation varies by position all sales positions currently have an uncapped commission structure. SolarCity offers competitive benefits, as well as paid sick and vacation time off. SolarCity provides jobs for thousands of people and has taken action that will enable it to create even more jobs here in the United States. At SolarCity I have found happy friendly smiling colleagues whom are always rooting for each other and willing to help one another. My job is to help people save money and the environment by facilitating their switch to cleaner less expensive Solar Energy. In other words SolarCity is paying me to help make the world a better place for my children and grandchildren, Amazing!

Cons

I have yet to find anything that I am not happy about; I have been with the company a little over a month.

I love this place thanks for the true open door policy.

I'm inspired and excited to work for such an amazing company!

Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to get paid for supplying a service that doesn't cost anything and every day I'm saving people on their energy bills. Not only that, the service that I'm providing is helping save the environment and our planet! I also get to meet great people every day and help them join our movement toward cleaner cheaper energy. I'm can't say how proud I am to work for such an innovative and supportive company that has their head in the right game!

Cons

My position is a Sr. Field Energy Consultant. My job is driving around to different homes to help promote our product. It is a very demanding job. There is hardly a day that I do not function or perform my duties. Although, every day that I am working, I am doing something that I truely believe in and having fun while I do it. As much as I do work, I love my job so I don't feel like I am working.

I don't think everyone has the same fortune I have had when it comes to management. I am on my second manager since we split our team and have doubled our size. My first manager, now promoted and continuing his long streak of success at SolarCity, was amazing. He helped inspire me and mold my abilities into the successful solar consultant that I am. My new manager is also wonderful and always supportive when needed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This place is horrible

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Few cool people work here

Cons

This place is horrible, bunch of liars. Management sucks, training was horrible... management isn't helpful at all. low play. Benefits sucks. everyone seemed to be fake, if you are not in clique with the managers and the little buddies of the manager you are completely out of place.

management needs a lot of improvment

One of the best growing organization to Learn and Dream with many opportunities!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Passion, Growth, Open Communication and Balance of work life

Cons

Still growing at rapid pace so sometimes some deicisions may back fire...

It's more con's than Pro

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

THe people are very nice and they try to take care of you break room wise.

Cons

Health beenfits are to expensive for the rate of pay, training is almost non exisistant, they expanded so quickly they just put who they had in whatever postition they needed them, some of the supervisors are rude and make you feel like your questions are wasting their time.

Better training, better selection on who you put in postions for management

Inside Energy Consultant

Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not much by the time I left.

Cons

Change can be good but now when its chaotic and this place is full of chaos. They react, badly, to everything. Cut pay and make hollow promises. Working in the call center started out great and ended horribly. They hired from outside the company to run all of sales and made a bad choice. Pay is well below industry standard. Was promised 60-65k first year and made less than 35k, and I always meet my goal.

Remember the culture set up when the company was small. Do not let outside people change the culture. The sales department was great when under Pete and Lyndon and results where better.

Great company!

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Vision of the company, rewarded excellent performance.

Cons

A few growing pains, but not bad.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. Great management starts from the top and we are grateful to have such inspiring leaders.

Believing in a better way!

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at SolarCity as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

As a recruiter at SolarCity I am provided the opportunity to identify talent for a company that is on the leading edge of residential solar power generation. SolarCity has a vision and the drive to be successful with an already proven track record of employee growth, development and is agile enough to make changes on the fly to bridge employment needs.

Cons

Much like any company in it's infancy, change is common place. But the desire to change for the right reasons is amicable and well thought out albeit difficult at times. Although change has a tendency to effect the growth rate negatively, the goal is to increase our ability to provide high level talent to an already tremendously successful sales/operations organization with much success. Change is akin to growing pains that will subside as the company becomes an adult.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you not only for your feedback, but for your commitment to SolarCity. You are right, we are a fast-paced company that is always changing. We definitely need top-level talent like you to ... More

Great company, lots of opportunities, and forward thinking environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, great benefits and stock options, fun environment to work in. The company offers many opportunities for growth and encourages learning and moving up.

Cons

New company growing fast, so lots of hard work to be done. You must be available even when "off hours" due to the nature of the job, but are only called on in emergency.

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for outlining the parts of SolarCity you enjoy. We try to make sure we have fun while making the world a better place! Your extra work during our growing phase is greatly appreciated.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!