SolarCity Reviews

Reset

1. Can't complain.

Current Employee - Site Surveyor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Site Surveyor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a team. Great management. Coworkers always willing to help. The company literally takes care of you.

Cons

Lack of work in Nevada. Not company's fault. It's the utility's fault. (Nvenergy) cough cough

Advice to Management

Improve communication.

2. Solar Energy Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blackwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Blackwood, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

I been employed by SolarCity for 3 weeks and the management is awesome and very helpful and supportive in every aspect of the job. They are doing their best to make us succeed and improve with all it takes. The atmosphere is so friendly you feel like you are among family and friends. The teammates are the best crew and everyone works and helps everyone and are happy when someone succeeds. By far Solarcity is just the right company to work for and the more you produce the faster to get promoted and that's something you hardly see in other companies.

Cons

Our Job as a solar energy consultant is 100% based on commission and it takes time to build a group of customers that bring referrals along the way, I wish the word of solar get spread faster by the company by doing more advertisements and improve on KW rates so we gain more home owners and make tons of people go green.

3. Field Energy Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management are transparent, display so much heart & passion for their mission. Company promotes based on performance. Many incentives and opportunities for growth and development. Part of bigger movement that affect the country and world We are setting the bar and raising it Amazing way to help and see first hand the greater public gaining back more control and protection over their energy usuage Feels good knowing your product and services is part of the solution

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

Regular refreshers for sales department after a certain period of time would be good to keep our wave in tack, connected, rooted and create wider conversion as we continue to overtake, sow, reap, harvest and create the NEW sustainable market

5. Energy Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best job ever! I feel like a superhero.... Helping people save money while saving the environment, ecosystems and economy! Feels great to actually make the world a better place!

Cons

Takes a while to get commission but definitely worth the wait.

6. 1st year

Current Employee - Lead Installer
    Current Employee - Lead Installer

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge opportunity to grow with the company as an installer if you are committed and really put your nose to the grindstone. Very hard job but you can make good money from it.

Cons

Being an installer can take over your life. It's both physically and mentally demanding; so much so that on my weekends, I'm pretty much just recovering and getting ready for the next week. No energy to play/have fun. On the other hand, I realize that this is the time to pay dues and show that I'm in it for the long haul so I can make a career of of it. There's a time and place for everything, I guess.

Advice to Management

By far, the best advice I can give to management is to develop a proper training course for new hires. If you are going to hire individuals that have absolutely no experience in solar system installation, you cannot just throw them into the field without any training. It makes it so much harder on Lead installers/crew leads in the field having to essentially babysit the new guys for the first month or two when this happens. It kills efficiency and puts the whole crew in a bad spot. Please develop a serious training program that lasts at least two weeks; not two days. It will make the new hire's transition into this new position much smoother and result in saved time/minimized frustration for the new guys and experienced guys. Also, it shows that you are committed to their success because you will have invested something in them.

7. Believe in a Better Way

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

Amazing opportunity for growth. Bring results and you will be rewarded. I've been with the company for a year and have been promoted twice. Awesome company culture. We function like a start up. We're always changing for the better and adjusting as we go. Whatever it takes to bring back control for homeowners when it comes to their electricity.

Cons

With constant change means a lot of having to adapt to new ways of process. Anyone who keeps an open mind and stays positive will flourish. Anyone who's not as comfortable with change willmost likely not be a good fit for the company.

Advice to Management

They're doing a great job. Let's keep growing! Let's keep the company focused on the mission

8. Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the open culture. People are generally very helpful and passionate about green energy. They want the team and the company to succeed. C-Level executives are approachable and personable. They acknowledge people who work hard and provide positive contributions/leadership.

Cons

No well established process in place. SW team is constantly fighting fire because of the short development cycle. The executives can be demanding at time and want new features fast to generate revenue instead of quality of the products.

Advice to Management

Invest time and resource to build strong and scalable infrastructure (instead of new features that are related to revenue generation). Strong foundation will help the company grow and in a long run benefit the engineering and financial aspects of the company.

9. Great job, pay and benefits, HORRIBLE management on certain teams

Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Glendora, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Glendora, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, unrivaled growth, excellent benefits that can't be beat for entry level sales positions. Great Channel Partnerships make the job much easier when compared to most similar positions at other companies.

Cons

Worked for a manager that was the absolute worst at properly motivating employees and treating them as humans. Wrongfully terminated multiple people for not bending to her will and will make your life miserable if you actually stand up for yourself.

Advice to Management

Fire the managers that give a bad reputation by how they treat their employees, no matter how great their production is.

10. Happiest in my career

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

Incredible people, amazing mention, tons of potential

Cons

Very fast paced - need to be able to handle that to thrive here

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Could be worse

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Riverside, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

Great teammates, great executive leadership, great product.

Cons

Growing too fast, poor communication, not enough support from the company with leads, proper expectations are not set in terms of compensation and lead volume. Favoritism at the middle management level is blatant.

Advice to Management

Don't allow FHF hires to directly report to their manager. Such an obvious conflict of interest and directors and managers are making decisions that benefit themselves but that harm the company and other employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed