SolarCity

Updated December 17, 2014
3.9

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • When you work for Solar City, you are helping to change the world for the better (in 15 reviews)

• Working at SolarCity really makes you feel like you are making a difference in the world (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult, especially in an entry-level sales position (in 13 reviews)

• Long hours and their plan is to make everyone work weekends and that includes Sunday (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

It's hard to overstate how cool it is to work here.

Superior business model; cutting edge technology; elite personnel. People seem genuinely happy, probably because they are invested in the cause of clean energy, and they believe in the business model. There is an incredible culture that encourages teamwork, ambition, and groundbreaking performance.

Cons

A company growing this fast hits some start-up style challenges.

Project Analyst

Current Employee - Project Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing working environment filled with friendly, supportive, and intelligent people. #1team1dream

Cons

On the 3rd floor of HQ, if you don't get to the M&M's before 9:30AM, you're guaranteed an M&M-less day.

Keep up the great work!

Great company goals, growing too fast

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

-Save the environment
    -save people money
    -flexile work schedule

Cons

company seems too big and communication is tough sometimes
    relatively seasonal

quota per month is rough. maybe two month quota would be better.

No Koolaid; SolarCity is ACTUALLY an AMAZING place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair and competative compensation, fast growing, room to grow and move up, extremely talented and respectful management, happy people that care about the environment work here.

Cons

Not as many perks as I would like....sales people get the occasional incentive for their sales goals, but here at HQ we don't get much. The occasional free meal on a holiday and very basic snacks....tea, coffee, and dry cereal.

No complaints here you're doing great!! Just get us some better snacks PLEASE.

A Brief Review From a 5-Year Employee

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SolarCity is the leader of an industry with explosive growth on the horizon. Working for SolarCity gives you accelerated upward mobility opportunities that are rarely found in today's job market.

Cons

Like any fast growing company, there are growing pains that come along with exciting new developments and processes. The best candidates for work with SolarCity are people who can not only adapt to change, but help create the path to success.

Due to our aggressive growth plans, SolarCity leadership has a tendency to marginalize the efforts of lower level position employees. I feel that the company is getting too top heavy.

Great company if you enjoy a challenge and creating tangible goals to achieve

Current Employee - PV Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - PV Designer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a company that is better serving the world by offering green technology and jobs. My coworkers are very much like myself in age and lifestyle.

Cons

The company can sometimes be too dynamic and bite off more than it can chew at a given time often.

Reach out to the lower level employees more often. Everyone working here is the best at what they do and there can be a lot learned from everyone in the company, regardless of their stature.

Loving the new job at SolarCity

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super-friendly people, very interesting work, exciting environment.

Cons

Some of the new job mechanics aren't set up that well.

Keep it up!

Be Prepared to Accept a Low Salary and Little Job Security

Former Employee - Coordinator in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee benefits are very good. You're provided top-notch health and dental insurance, disability pay and life insurance, and you're given the standard two weeks vacation. The people, specifically the entry-level folks, are also great. Aside from the competitiveness and politics (i.e. "rat race"), SolarCity's staff are made up of good people who seek to make a positive impact in their work.

Cons

First, take most of these reviews with a grain of salt. Much of these reviews are inflated by internal staff to increase SolarCity's rating on Glassdoor. This has to due with the company's aggressive hiring and HR tactics to encourage people to apply. You will be able to sense the real from the fake reviews.

Second, each experience is unique and dependent on which department you work in and at what level you enter the company. With that said, here was my experience.

SolarCity has set up a assembly-line approach to the way it operates, so you can expect your position to be very repetitive. There is very little room to challenge the way things are done here. You will be micromanaged and constantly under pressure to perform. You will be left in the dark on where things are going and on issues that directly impact your work. You will rarely be invited to meetings and brought into the discussion on how to improve things. You will be expected to "just do your work" and not complain. Further, people are constantly in fear of their job security. Only time will tell what happens when the federal tax credits for solar expire at the end of 2016...

The pay is below market rate, so you'll be scraping to save money and simply get by in the Bay area. This however is not the case for top-level management, who are receiving millions in stock options and compensation. There is heavy emphasis on growth and sales, so quality has gone out the window. There is very little reward here for providing great customer service. Look up customer reviews on Yelp, BBB and other sites and you'll see what the customer experience has become.

Overall, the people and benefits are good, but SolarCity's management style is stifling and demotivating, and needs to change for the good of the company and the service it provides.

Think less about deepening your pockets and increasing the stock price, and more about the customer experience. Provide more training to your employees and create incentives to reduce employee turnover. Stop treating your staff and operations as an assembly line. Hire and encourage staff to stay, rather than hiring people in waves and focusing on a percentage of who can stay and who has to go.

A return to my dot com days, only better.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people who want to make a change. Ability to make a stamp on a growing organization.

Cons

Health benefits/401K don't start for a month or more after you start. A bit crazy/disorganized. Parking is offsite. They have a shuttle that runs very frequently, but it still adds some extra time to my commute.

Keep doing what you're doing.

What a fantastic experience!

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At SolarCity, we work with the highest caliber of individuals out there. My colleagues are great to work with and learn from. We are all working toward the same goal and feel that we are one big team. I've never had so much fun, nor fet so fulfilled, working as hard as we do. If you can get a job offer with SolarCity, I'd highly recommend that you accept it. I hope to work with this amazing company for another 15-20 years.

Cons

50 - 55 hour work week is standard. Lots of work to be done! I don't necessarily view this as a con, but it can be tougher to balance work and family.

Very pleased with the management.