SolarWinds

SolarWinds Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson

Kevin B. Thompson

Pros:
  • "Free Lunch twice a week, great benefits"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Catered lunch twice a week is certainly nice"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance not a consideration"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Thrown in to the job, no training, no help when you are on the phone with customer"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hold on to your seats

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time for more than a year

Prosfast paced, fun, challenging environment. Hard work is definitely rewarded. Catered lunch twice a week is certainly nice.

Conscaliber of sales rep seems to be declining over the years, focus is definitely on driving business, not as much on innovation (which can be good and bad)

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the little guys, both in your customer base and your work force.

All about the stock price

Technical Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent Benefits.
Lunch twice a month.

ConsCompany doesn't care about support, which is a non-revenue generating department. Sales is king. Stock price is king. Senior leadership seems to care more about throwing warm bodies at problems rather than hiring a competent workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ignore your support folks. Moving the office from Post Falls, ID to Salt Lake City, UT was a huge mistake. Nobody wants to work there.

Think of a terrible place to work...okay, work there instead of SolarWinds!!

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at SolarWinds full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree Lunch each week (twice)

ConsNo work/life balance
Merit-based advancement opportunities extremely limited
Narrow-minded upper mgmt
Little to no recognition
Absolutely no reward for loyalty

Advice to Senior ManagementFor starters, just admit that you are no longer a customer-focused organization. What if you're cable company had 3-5 different sales people calling you 3-5 times a week to see if you'd like to upgrade to a movie package or sports package? Get back to your roots - you'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly your customers recognize the shift and begin to reward you with more business.

Also, take care of your employees. My goodness! Each executive sits on 7-figure paydays while the people really getting it done for you are at the lower tier of the payscale when looking across the industry. Additionally, make sure you re-evaluate how much you stress work/life balance. An employee who feels their employer values them, cares about their lives outside of work and allows/fosters that will ultimately have a workforce that wants to do a better job. Weird, huh?

Pay attention to how you promote employees. Just because someone kissed the right cheek, had a few good moments and shows they're willing to abandon their family doesn't mean they're the best suited for advancement.

Challenging and Rewarding

Manager - Strategy (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI believe the best rewards are the ones you’ve worked hard to earn. That’s SolarWinds in a nutshell. Hard work, but great rewards.
- Bright, hard-working co-workers. At many places, I’ve had to work with an underperforming team member. You end up doing much of their work and your own. Under performers are not tolerated here. I personally find that to be a relief, but it does make for a different culture.
- Interesting work. It is fun to see your work ship and customers use it.
- Good compensation, including 401k matching
- Opportunities for career growth. I started as worker bee and I progressed through senior and lead positions. I am now in management.

Cons- Need to be firm on work/life boundaries
- Not having the time to excel on projects

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the core products. And give your employees time to reset - more vacation days and PTO would be helpful.

Dreadful Misleading Inconsistent

IT Support (Former Employee)

I worked at SolarWinds full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Benefits
401k & Market Share
Employee Freedom
Lunch Twice a week

ConsEmployee to Management Relations
Management, based on favoritism not work performance
Business Practices lacks fundamentals
Training is sparse on new/changing materials and products

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acquiring companies if you're not going to take the time to learn their functions, number one complaint is "when this company was run by _______ it was great, since you all took over it has been (negative)." Also when an employee has a complaint or suggestion take it into consideration.

Good company for go-getters

R&D (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place for people who are self-directed
Lots of colleagues who are both smart and bright
Plenty of opportunities to learn new things
Fair compensation
Challenging work
Once you've proven yourself, management does listen to employees here
Exceptional at explaining the vision and the model so that employees understand what they need to do to support the business
Only example I have ever seen of successful offshoring, with great international colleagues

ConsNot a good fit for people who like a lot of structure or need a lot of guidance on how to do their jobs
If you're not working out, they will quickly let you go (BTW to me this is a good thing--this company doesn't carry deadbeats on its back or payroll)
Some normal growing pains given its size and industry
In US, less than standard holidays and poor PTO policies
Draconian legal department interferes with business in ridiculous ways
Sometimes penny wise and pound foolish on spending money for business

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we grow it's going to be difficult to keep the magic that makes us good. I hope you are focusing on that and also on the "penny wise and pound foolish" thing. That approach doesn't scale at some point, and to me, we are at that point.

Most rewarding job I have had in Austin.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Pay... great perks... great hours.
Perfect for someone with a competitive nature.
Successful people are recognized.

ConsIt's a Grind like no other.
Competition amongst internal departments.
Way to many people calling into accounts.

The Worse Working Experience In My Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SolarWinds full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Challenging for those who like a good challenge (like me)
- Pay is decent and bonuses can be good
- Execution is a good thing

Cons- Does not value their employees at all
- You can give 100% and that still won't be good enough
- No work/life balance
- Executive management is bunch of male misogynists who tout themselves as devout christians (laughable)
- A culture that will suck the life out of you
- A "conservative" company that belongs back in Oklahoma. Hey, this is Austin let's care about our people, environment, doing volunteer work and the greater good...not just the bottom line

Advice to Senior ManagementThey've made a mess of this place. The reputation in Austin is horrible. I've had numerous people come up to me and ask me, "Is it as bad as people say it is?". The answer is, "YES!". I would say the board should fire the entire executive team for creating a horrific culture. Sure, they get things done, and I commend them for that; however, I have worked for other companies since and they get things done and have a much more innovative, creative and happier work environment because people feel valued and can see that they can contribute to a successful company. SolarWinds just sees the bottom line, and does so at the expense of their employees. As I stated, other companies are successful and exceed their quarterly revenues beating the Street, but they manage to do so without creating a culture of back-stabbing, arrogance and overall discontent.

High pressure sales to IT professionals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SolarWinds full-time for more than a year

ProsFree lunch twice a week

ConsWork/life balance not a consideration

If you want to make an impact and enjoy the challenges of a growing company, this is the place to be!

Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time for more than a year

ProsFast growth, ability to shape the company (current results and future), global teams, smart team members, promote from within

ConsYou need to draw boundaries yourself (work/life) - there is so much opportunity, you could work 24 hours a day and not grab it all

Advice to Senior ManagementMake hard decisions fast(er)

Worked for SolarWinds? Contribute to the Community!

SolarWinds Videos

SolarWinds – Why Work for Us?

Since our founding in 1999, SolarWinds’ (NYSE: SWI) mission has been to provide purpose-built products that are designed to make IT professionals’ jobs easier. We offer value-driven products and tools that solve a broad… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SolarWinds reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SolarWinds CEO Kevin B. Thompson. All 81 reviews posted anonymously by SolarWinds employees.