SolarWinds

SolarWinds Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson

Kevin B. Thompson

Pros:
  • "Gym, Free lunch twice a week, a job in a tough economy - Looks good on resume"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Catered lunch twice a week is certainly nice"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance not a consideration"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Thrown in to the job, no training, no help when you are on the phone with customer"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fast growing, successful company - who wouldn't want to work here?

Just Promoted (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Brand new building
    - Great company culture
    - Free lunch 2x a week
    - Supportive and lively CEO
    - Great pay/benefits with 401k matching

Cons- Fast paced
    - Sometimes the view of downtown is obstructed

Never a dull moment...

ProsSWI challenges their employees to continuously strive for the best. Sure, you work hard and the expectations are high, but you're are given the tools to succeed in your job and rewarded for hard work. It's a dynamic, and constantly changing environment due to the innovation of the executive staff. The new location is beautiful, and offers stunning views of the hill country. Employees are given soft perks like catered lunch twice a week, a game room with a pool table, foosball table, TV's, free coffee/water/snacks and other cool company sponsored activities. It's nice to be able to take a break and play a game of shuffleboard with coworkers. Overall, the adage 'work hard, play hard' is alive and well at SolarWinds.

ConsThe commute from North Austin down Mo-Pac can be grueling.

Fast moving company with a great culture!

Pros- Industry leading product
    - Great culture. Company provides lunches twice a week for the entire company, has a committee that is focused on coming up with quarterly activities for the employees to have fun with, they provide each employee with a membership to our onsite gym, and the CEO promotes an atmosphere that is rewarding.
    - Solarwinds provides the challenge I was seeking when I was looking for a new opportunity. It's fast paced, challenging, and a fun place to work. Everything you'd expect from an industry leader!
    - I recently completed a training course that was sponsored by the company. It was a great course that I was able to put into play immediately.
    - Upper management is committed to being the best and it shows. I wouldn't want to work in an environment that is just trying to stay afloat. Solarwinds is carving new paths and it's an exciting time to be here.

Cons- No cons from my point of view. I've seen some comments that say this company may work too hard but I'd rather be working for a company that strives to be the best rather than settle for mediocrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing to be the best!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work atmosphere!

ProsI worked here for 4 yrs and quite enjoyed my time there. The work culture there is great and it is generally a very relaxed work enviroment. We worked very hard and were quite busy most of the time but the people there were great. There was good benefits from the job too. We got free lunch every wednesday and hot food the last 3 days of each month. There were also free snacks and cereal each day a fully stocked soda fridge and also a leisure room with a ping pong table.

ConsWe were frequently understaffed and the training we were received when joining was not great. It is getting better now though

Meh

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsStock options and benefits
    Free lunch twice a week

ConsEasy to get stuck in a position and not be able to move up
    Overly metric driven

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on the person and less on the numbers

A great re-entry into Texas Technology

Demand Generation Marketing (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsA fast paced, innovative company

ConsSome times reactive instead of proactive in management style, especially at mid-management level. That is changing as the company grows and leadership matures.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage your knowledge capital first.

A company only for Yes Men/Women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFree Lunch, decent salary, loyal customers

ConsNYSE company run like family business "GodFather" style. CEO is involved in every decision and cusses out his senior sales people and stuff rolls downhill. Managers are interested to know why you are 5 minutes late and how you have time for lunch???. Limited vision and strong belief that there is only one way, the SolarWinds way. You disagree? There's the door. Attrition is around 50%!!! Oh you brought in a million dollar deal "last week"? What have you done for me today? They'd rather take $10 today than $100 next week-very short sighted and stock price focused company-this is not sustainable. The same group of people keep getting promoted (20 something Directors and 30 something VP's-no, they are not all brilliant, they just toe the line and...) and brilliant people from the outside that joined recently see this and leave-your career is pretty much in the toilet here-the only consolation is money :) Oh, and stop spamming your customers!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like a startup and create a long term strategy. FYI, long term means more than 1 week.

Not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsVery interesting business model: highly transactional and web-based. Profitable company that pays well (base, bonus and stock). Nice perks.

ConsNYSE company run like family business. CEO involved in every decision. Limited vision and strong belief that there is only one way, the SolarWinds way. Only employee motivator is money. High turnaround in most departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge your beliefs and question your leader(ship). Value your employees.

A successful company that could be rewarding or dissatisfying depending on your expectations

Product Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLots of churn, an employee I know left almost every 2 weeks since I joined
    Growing revenue and customer base
    Standard benefits such as health insurance and 401K matching
    Solid business model that just works
    Every second spent is contributing to the bottom line, low wastage
    Job pay is well above industry average
    Very predictable work day and consistent execution
    No work on weekends
    Dependable internal tools and processes to allow for flawless execution

ConsLimited learning opportunity
    Promotion opportunities no longer like a startup
    Low vacation considering no sick leave
    Employees are overpaid but also overworked
    Time off during work day is frowned upon, officially clocked
    Lack of role models or strategic leaders
    No leeway for failure or risk taking
    Motivates employees with one thing - money
    Low recognition for overtime and above and beyond effort
    All decisions are driven top down, low empowerment
    Extremely sales driven and coin operated strategy
    Lack of innovation, purely inorganic growth
    Employees follow process throughout, drone style
    In decision making, employees are treated purely as resources, not people
    No team building, team offsite, team meetings, courses, get work done and leave

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO is emphatic that following are essential characteristics of working at SolarWinds and will never change - 1) the work culture is taxing 2) forget family when you step into work until end of workday, even if it is 2 days to Christmas 3) reins will be tightly held from up top 4) Quit if this is not for you. While the honesty is much appreciated, as you grow the company expect some diversity in operational and strategic thinking. Agreed that this has worked so far and you feel the need to hold the reins tight to continue success and reward shareholders. But it should be okay to loosen reins in some places and trust employees to think for the company. Also consider that inorganic growth is a very hard game to play, by empowering employees and loosening process/control more, you might be surprised with the results. This might in fact become necessary for next level of growth and might be too little too late. Vacation needs to be increased by 25% and managers need to be empowered to lead their team and work priorities without being goaded by CEO. Having paid for a desk is not reason enough for employees to not be allowed to work remote as needed and appropriate. Management also need to learn to listen to employee concerns and act on it as opposed to saying "that's how it works". Interviews should include in large component, communication on how company functions, the rigidity and what daily activities constitute to filter in good fit only.

Fast paced, fun atmosphere. Expects a lot out of you.

ProsChallenging.
    Good money.
    They've instituted training for new employees.

ConsTop employees seem to be fed the best deals.
    Weekly commits.

Worked for SolarWinds? Contribute to the Community!

SolarWinds Videos

SolarWinds – Why Work for Us?

Since our founding in 1999, SolarWinds’ (NYSE: SWI) mission has been to provide purpose-built products that are designed to make IT professionals’ jobs easier. We offer value-driven products and tools that solve a broad… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SolarWinds reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SolarWinds CEO Kevin B. Thompson. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by SolarWinds employees.