SolarWinds Reviews

Reset
2.9
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Pros
  • Gym, Free lunch twice a week, a job in a tough economy - Looks good on resume (in 22 reviews)

• Free Lunch twice a week, great benefits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also very little to be said for work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• No training you have to learn on your own (in 10 reviews)

1. Sr. Program Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Friendly Coworkers, great location,

Cons

Lack of direction and advancement

2. Standard Sales Position

Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SolarWinds (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work on things alone and put your sales twist on it.

Cons

Very upper management heavy. All managers are trying to put a feather in their own cap. No support from sales managers

Advice to Management

Listen.....just listen

3. Maintenance Renewal - Intermediate - Great!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Fast-paced. Decent Pay. The retirement and insurance packages are one of the best I've had. Everyone that works here becomes family.

Cons

Nothing I can see as a downside to working here. The pay could be a little better for renewal reps but its not at all unfair. Catered lunches are sometime a bit unhealthy but I've never complained.

Zzzz...Tiring.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Lehi, UT

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location was great, free food, air conditioning, nice offices.

Cons

Micro managed, numbers driven pushy sales model. Calling customers/potential customers at blinding rates throughout the week was common practice. If you have an opportunity with a company and they agree that they like the software, you will be tasked to basically burn them down via phone and email until they send you a purchase order. Offering insane discounts just to bring a deal in, then at the end of a quarter, hearing from management that they are disappointed in the 'lost revenue' numbers based on how many discounts were handed down in the previous quarter. This makes no sense because they preach that "a dollar today is better than 10 dollars tomorrow". This archaic idea of building and maintaining revenue numbers is the sole reason many quality hires have left the company. They had good software (5 years ago), but when they lost more and more people, you could see that the tech wasn't evolving fast enough. The tech is not lightweight, it runs on SQL Server, and causes plenty of headaches for even the most seasoned IT Engineer. Be prepared to offer SUBSTANTIAL discounts in order to bring in deals, this not only devalues the product, it devalues your paycheck. When you're making ~3.2% commission per deal, knocking $15,000+ off of a quote, just to bring a deal in, makes a big impact on what your paycheck COULD be at this company.

Advice to Management

Nah, you won't take my advice. Which is why I and others continue to leave your company. Until you notice you can't cash out $2,500,000 in stock options per year, you might either sell this company or change something.

6. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun environment, catered lunches, Great pay

Cons

Its a long commute from where I live.

Advice to Management

My manager is AWESOME!

Perspective Is Key

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

I have seen a lot of reviews pop up lately about Solarwinds and feel compelled to share my point of view. I've never worked for a company in the past that I felt truly has my best interests at heart. So, I want to set the record straight and provide you with a more balanced perspective. Yes, it is a hard job, and can feel like a bit of a grind. HOWEVER, Solarwinds pays for performance. You put in the work, you will reap the benefits. I have seen a lot of reviewers complaining about the starting salary of 40/40 for InsideSales Position and that it is too low. My first year at Solarwinds on a 40/40 salary I cleared over $100k, not bad at all! If you hit your month 1 target (25% of quota) you receive a bonus of $1,500, month 2 target (35% of quota) you receive $2,500, and month 3 target (40%) a $1,000 bonus. That is an additional $20,000 just for doing your job! These bonuses are in addition to SPIFFS and accelerators for hitting over 100%. There is a TON of opportunity to make money. Yes, quotas aren't easy to obtain, but they are obtainable. If they were a total lay-up then there would be no need for such a high commission payout structure. I haven't missed quota in over 3 years. Some months/ quarters are a real struggle and others I'm just skating through. It's sales, the job itself is unpredictable. I've also read on here that you will only hit quota if you "kiss butt" and are NOT a girl. The funniest thing is that couldn't be further from the truth! I have never in my life been accused of being an butt kisser. I'm probably one of the most unapproachable, abrasive, and guarded people that you will ever meet. I also happen to be a girl. I have yet to experience the slightest bit of discrimination against myself simply for being female. There is a real open door policy here. I've worked at other companies where the "open door policy" was just something that they said, but didn't really exist. At SWI, I can walk into my Director, VP, and even Sr. VP's office at any given time and they are all happy to see me and will listen to what I have to say. Even more importantly, they will take action on my recommendations/ requests. Persistence and tenacity will get you everything in life. I hit quota because I'm good at my job. End of story. If you do not have a strong work ethic, this is not the place for you. It is not a 8-5 punch in & out job. You are expected to answer emails when you receive them, regardless of what day it is. With that being said, there is also a lot of down-time. For instance, virtually no one works the first day of the month, and if they do it's only for a couple of hours. How about an all expense paid vacation??? Every year there is a "Sales Club" for all employees who average 100% quota over the course of the year. We go on an all expenses paid vacation for you and your significant other. The time off doesn't even count against your PTO. So far I've been to Costa Rica, Florida, and a private island off the coast of Antigua; Jumby Bay. Look it up, my Jumby Bay trip cost SWI around $15k and is one of the top bucket list destinations in the world. So, do I mind answering the occasional email on a Saturday??? Hell no! Not for rewards like this! Lastly, a very recent reviewer made this comment: "Let's not leave out the CEO's company-wide religiously charged emails on holidays. On Easter we were told that 'even if you do not believe in Jesus, you cannot deny that he died to save us.'. Let that sink in for a minute...." Solarwinds is the only company that I have worked for that has designated Good Friday as a holiday. I'm not particularly religious, as a matter of fact I am an atheist. However, it is an actual fact that Jesus did exist and that he did sacrifice himself for humanity. I am 100% certain that our CEO did not send out this email with the intention of converting people. Merely just recognizing why this day is important to him and why he has designated this holiday for us to enjoy with our families. They emails don't happen often and I've never felt that he was trying to force any belief onto us. Regardless, of what your religious beliefs are we need to all respect each other. Other fun random things: - Free Gym - 2 free meals a week - fully stocked break rooms with snacks, soda, coffee, tea, and even aspirin. - Red Bull fridge

Cons

- long hours at end of month/ quarter end - it is hard to plan family vacations, simply because it kills your pipe build, and run rate. But that is also the nature of the job and is pretty much an issue no matter where you go.

Advice to Management

Raises and lower quotas are always appreciated :)

Micromanaged to Death

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Plenty of PTO offered (Although; either you, your team, or the company, is always "behind", so it's hard to use that time), free drinks, snacks, free lunch a couple of times a week, loose schedule when it comes to lunch breaks, good benefits, nice office and an aesthetically pleasing work environment. They do a great job at showing you a glamorous workplace, from afar. (I would actually recommend this company so long as you weren't joining the sales team - but I've only worked in the sales dept so I can't be sure)

Cons

There is a reason they give out free stuff to their employees... The company does everything it can to appear fun and loose as an organization, but behind upper mgmt's closed doors, they push lower management to do their dirty work. Lower level bosses micromanage their reps to the absolute max, while the higher ups walk the floor and make energetic small talk with peon sales reps (that way we say, "it must not be the company who is to blame, it's only my mgr who sucks"). Mgmt has always aggressively hounded "daily metrics" (call stats, opps hit, leads hit, stage duration, etc), which has always been the biggest complaint from sales reps. But now they've gone so far as to strictly base the managers bonuses on metrics, rather than sales. So the managers get paid bonuses based on the "seven daily principles", rather than how much their reps close. This kind of micromanagement essentially says, "we think all of you are completely incompetent and couldn't organize a silverware drawer, let alone an 8 hour work day; So we're going to tell you every little thing you should during the work day (maybe even which hand to wipe with). The hypocrisy of management is extremely difficult to wrap your head around. The lower level managers regularly say, "upper mgmt is making us stay late, yelling at us, and making us come to wknd meetings, but I'm doing everything I can to shield you guys from that pressure." At the same time, upper mgmt tells the sales reps how well the org is doing and how much potential there is for growth from the rep level (even though no SW reps are being hired as managers any more). Upper mgmt also says they want to change the high-pressure culture and invite open honestly from the reps. They don't want honesty, they want a high-fenced maze to separate unhappy employees and those who can do something about it. If you're 22, don't know how to tie your shoes, and get excited over a free redbull, this place may not be that bad. If silly things like: money, loyalty, growth potential, and honesty, interest you - I recommend looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Tell your managers to stop promising raises when they know they aren't going to happen. Don't make your managers regulate metrics in a way where your entire sales team wants to quit. Don't do company wide surveys that tell you micromanagement is killing your staff - just to adjust mgr bonus pay structure so that they micromanage even more. From a positive POV - Invest in your sales staff (pay more for better employees), teach/ incentivize sales staff to have at least a slight customer service approach (your sales model has people burning bridges by the dozens and you don't even see it - or you do and just don't care). Invest in your customers, employees, and reputation - they are your future, not next quarter's projections.

Solarwinds

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Love it! Great company. Go to work. Work hard and get paid

Cons

Young sales associate culture. Dress very casual

Advice to Management

None management is fine. Everything done is only to help you make money

Good place to work a year or less

I have been working at SolarWinds (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live Austin and can adapt, you can rise quickly. Everything changes, constantly.

Cons

If you don't live in Austin, out of sight out of mind. Career promises are rarely kept either due to the constant shifting or just flat out lies.

Quality & Performance don't matter. If you are not liked, you will be gone.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and a lot of responses from other companies if you have them listed on your resume. There are some nice people that work there, but management is clueless. Good products that sell themselves.

Cons

They will take your ideas, brand them as their own, and throw you out the door without a second thought. They do not care about developing customer relationships. It's all about the number of deals you have closed today, regardless of how you make it happen. The CEO is a religious zealot that sends out offensive e-mails during Christian holidays, and his speeches are full of words that mean nothing and offer non real direction or help to his employees. Everything is broad and general on the surface. If you are on the "inside" of the right clique, I imagine you get the real advice on how to succeed here, like finding call lists with voicemail boxes that have not been set up yet (found this one out literally the day I was let go) and all sorts of other fake methods of "success." This place is a joke and will fail if they stay on the current course.

Advice to Management

Leave and replace yourselves with people who understand how customers want to be treated.

RSS Feed </> Embed