SolarWinds

SolarWinds Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson

Kevin B. Thompson

Pros
  • Gym, Free lunch twice a week, a job in a tough economy - Looks good on resume(in 17 reviews)

• Catered lunch twice a week is certainly nice(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also very little to be said for work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Thrown in to the job, no training, no help when you are on the phone with customer(in 8 reviews)

Fast growing, successful company - who wouldn't want to work here?

Just Promoted (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Brand new building
    - Great company culture
    - Free lunch 2x a week
    - Supportive and lively CEO
    - Great pay/benefits with 401k matching

Cons- Fast paced
    - Sometimes the view of downtown is obstructed

Ok company for people with little to no sales experience who are looking for an entry into sales

Anonymous Sales (Former Employee)

ProsThere is room for growth and there are lots of leadership opportunities. This being said, the types of leadership opportunities offered are not for everyone. They provide lunches and snacks but this is done only to keep people in the office for more hours.

ConsHaving been in management, I can say that this is a company of extreme micromanagement and if you are on the sales side you will not be allowed to provide your reps with any autonomy. From the time they get into the office in the morning, to the number of dials made, you will be watching their every move. Management emails reps accounts and pushes incredibly hard to get deals in on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Customer relationships are less important than turning in deals and I was told multiple times, 'a dollar day is worth more than 2 tomorrow'. This is difficult if you are a sales person who sells based on relationships and quality of product.

There is also very little to be said for work/life balance. If you are a seasoned salesperson who is used to being able to sneak out of the office for doctor's appointments etc. and work from home when needed, that sort of culture does not exist at Solarwinds. Sales can be a rewarding and flexible career and that is not true of this company. Every female rep I spoke to said that she would have to quit once children came along because there is really no flexibility. If you want to work from home for half a day and go to a doctor's appointment, you need to take the day off. Vacation time is limited as well and if you are someone who likes to spend Christmas/New Year's with your family, you will have a hard time doing that here. The end of month, end of quarter, end of year push means extremely long hours even if you are over your number.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrant your tenured reps autonomy. Allow them to utilize their customer relationships to close business and realize that this might take longer than the 'Solarwinds model' desires. Since leaving I've had multiple customers call me to tell me what a terrible experience they've had with the sales pressure they've experienced. These customers will eventually leave unless you take care of them. At some point, some startup will come along and will have an easy time bringing your unhappy customers over if they can provide a similar product with better service.

Never a dull moment...

ProsSWI challenges their employees to continuously strive for the best. Sure, you work hard and the expectations are high, but you're are given the tools to succeed in your job and rewarded for hard work. It's a dynamic, and constantly changing environment due to the innovation of the executive staff. The new location is beautiful, and offers stunning views of the hill country. Employees are given soft perks like catered lunch twice a week, a game room with a pool table, foosball table, TV's, free coffee/water/snacks and other cool company sponsored activities. It's nice to be able to take a break and play a game of shuffleboard with coworkers. Overall, the adage 'work hard, play hard' is alive and well at SolarWinds.

ConsThe commute from North Austin down Mo-Pac can be grueling.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SolarWinds is a JV sales organization with super green leadership

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsNice building to work in...Boulder is a nice place for a Company

ConsIf you are looking for a classy sales organization, SolarWinds is NOT for you. The management team is very green, inexperienced and act childish. There is favoritism to certain reps. Morale is so low...they had over 25 sales reps walk out the door in the past 7 Months...including 2 last week that were here for less than 90 days.

This organization will ruin you as a sales rep as they sell like "Used Car Salesmen" with not class. This is a Junior Varsity sales org with no clue how to "sell". The Managers are young and like to "hook up" their favorites with the hot leads...not a favorite? You get leads with wrong name...no phone...it is stealing...Class Action Lawsuit is in their immediate future.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and wear your big boy pants. Feeding the same people everyday is going to get you in a lot of trouble...there is a lot of evidence of favoritism and stealing from employees to feed another.

If you career objective is anything other than getting paid well, do not work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of great people who work there. They offer freebies such as a catered lunches, snacks, sodas, and quarterly birthday celebrations, meaning free cupcakes. There is access to a gym onsite.

ConsWhere to begin? If you are looking for career growth and development, this is not the place for you. There are a lucky few who have been promoted, but it is few and far-between. Some managers have to go around their supervisors and work solely with HR to get their people promoted. Others are happy to lay off their team members without a second thought.
    Trying to get training to improve yourself for the betterment of the company is an uphill battle. I worked in Marketing where quantity over quality is key and campaigns need only be "good enough". The customers are inundated with emails, mixed branding messages, and there seems to be no end in sight.
    There is no work/life balance. The CEO said repeatedly once employees walk though the door their only thought should be how to grow SolarWinds. On an incredibly bad weather day, when schools were shut down, the CEO emailed the company to say the Austin office would still be open. If employees could not make it into the office, they needed to talk to their managers to make sure they had 8 hours of work to do at home. If they didn't have 8 hours, the CEO said they needed to take vacation time

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your customers are saying. Listen to what your employees want and need. Treat them with the "morals and values" you claim to have in your personal lives, but check at the door in your professional lives.

Fast moving company with a great culture!

Pros- Industry leading product
    - Great culture. Company provides lunches twice a week for the entire company, has a committee that is focused on coming up with quarterly activities for the employees to have fun with, they provide each employee with a membership to our onsite gym, and the CEO promotes an atmosphere that is rewarding.
    - Solarwinds provides the challenge I was seeking when I was looking for a new opportunity. It's fast paced, challenging, and a fun place to work. Everything you'd expect from an industry leader!
    - I recently completed a training course that was sponsored by the company. It was a great course that I was able to put into play immediately.
    - Upper management is committed to being the best and it shows. I wouldn't want to work in an environment that is just trying to stay afloat. Solarwinds is carving new paths and it's an exciting time to be here.

Cons- No cons from my point of view. I've seen some comments that say this company may work too hard but I'd rather be working for a company that strives to be the best rather than settle for mediocrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing to be the best!

Employee morale is VERY low, losing key talent en masse

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Prosrelaxed dress code
    nice new building
    free gym
    free snacks
    catered lunches

Consconsistently changing policies without beneficial results
    top heavy organization (many vps, svps, directors, managers)
    understaffed in key positions
    lack of upward mobility
    Nepotism
    left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees, think before you act. try and retain the base knowledge.

Great work atmosphere!

ProsI worked here for 4 yrs and quite enjoyed my time there. The work culture there is great and it is generally a very relaxed work enviroment. We worked very hard and were quite busy most of the time but the people there were great. There was good benefits from the job too. We got free lunch every wednesday and hot food the last 3 days of each month. There were also free snacks and cereal each day a fully stocked soda fridge and also a leisure room with a ping pong table.

ConsWe were frequently understaffed and the training we were received when joining was not great. It is getting better now though

Meh

Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsStock options and benefits
    Free lunch twice a week

ConsEasy to get stuck in a position and not be able to move up
    Overly metric driven

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on the person and less on the numbers

A great re-entry into Texas Technology

Demand Generation Marketing (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsA fast paced, innovative company

ConsSome times reactive instead of proactive in management style, especially at mid-management level. That is changing as the company grows and leadership matures.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage your knowledge capital first.

Worked for SolarWinds? Contribute to the Community!