SolarWinds Reviews

Reset
2.9
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Pros
  • Gym, Free lunch twice a week, a job in a tough economy - Looks good on resume (in 22 reviews)

• Free Lunch twice a week, great benefits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also very little to be said for work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• No training you have to learn on your own (in 10 reviews)

1. Sr. Program Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Friendly Coworkers, great location,

Cons

Lack of direction and advancement

2. Standard Sales Position

Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SolarWinds (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work on things alone and put your sales twist on it.

Cons

Very upper management heavy. All managers are trying to put a feather in their own cap. No support from sales managers

Advice to Management

Listen.....just listen

3. Maintenance Renewal - Intermediate - Great!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Fast-paced. Decent Pay. The retirement and insurance packages are one of the best I've had. Everyone that works here becomes family.

Cons

Nothing I can see as a downside to working here. The pay could be a little better for renewal reps but its not at all unfair. Catered lunches are sometime a bit unhealthy but I've never complained.

Zzzz...Tiring.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Lehi, UT

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location was great, free food, air conditioning, nice offices.

Cons

Micro managed, numbers driven pushy sales model. Calling customers/potential customers at blinding rates throughout the week was common practice. If you have an opportunity with a company and they agree that they like the software, you will be tasked to basically burn them down via phone and email until they send you a purchase order. Offering insane discounts just to bring a deal in, then at the end of a quarter, hearing from management that they are disappointed in the 'lost revenue' numbers based on how many discounts were handed down in the previous quarter. This makes no sense because they preach that "a dollar today is better than 10 dollars tomorrow". This archaic idea of building and maintaining revenue numbers is the sole reason many quality hires have left the company. They had good software (5 years ago), but when they lost more and more people, you could see that the tech wasn't evolving fast enough. The tech is not lightweight, it runs on SQL Server, and causes plenty of headaches for even the most seasoned IT Engineer. Be prepared to offer SUBSTANTIAL discounts in order to bring in deals, this not only devalues the product, it devalues your paycheck. When you're making ~3.2% commission per deal, knocking $15,000+ off of a quote, just to bring a deal in, makes a big impact on what your paycheck COULD be at this company.

Advice to Management

Nah, you won't take my advice. Which is why I and others continue to leave your company. Until you notice you can't cash out $2,500,000 in stock options per year, you might either sell this company or change something.

6. Great place to learn for Application side troubleshooting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Great office culture, fun to work in SolarWinds, learning new technologies, Stock units, free lunches, multiple social clubs, nights out, free lunches on Wednesdays.

Cons

Employees should be sent for external training & career path need to be defined so employee can stay focus and kept thinking that what he is doing is still meaningful for him & for the company, other then that I don't see cons in SolarWinds.

Micromanaged to Death

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Plenty of PTO offered (Although; either you, your team, or the company, is always "behind", so it's hard to use that time), free drinks, snacks, free lunch a couple of times a week, loose schedule when it comes to lunch breaks, good benefits, nice office and an aesthetically pleasing work environment. They do a great job at showing you a glamorous workplace, from afar. (I would actually recommend this company so long as you weren't joining the sales team - but I've only worked in the sales dept so I can't be sure)

Cons

There is a reason they give out free stuff to their employees... The company does everything it can to appear fun and loose as an organization, but behind upper mgmt's closed doors, they push lower management to do their dirty work. Lower level bosses micromanage their reps to the absolute max, while the higher ups walk the floor and make energetic small talk with peon sales reps (that way we say, "it must not be the company who is to blame, it's only my mgr who sucks"). Mgmt has always aggressively hounded "daily metrics" (call stats, opps hit, leads hit, stage duration, etc), which has always been the biggest complaint from sales reps. But now they've gone so far as to strictly base the managers bonuses on metrics, rather than sales. So the managers get paid bonuses based on the "seven daily principles", rather than how much their reps close. This kind of micromanagement essentially says, "we think all of you are completely incompetent and couldn't organize a silverware drawer, let alone an 8 hour work day; So we're going to tell you every little thing you should during the work day (maybe even which hand to wipe with). The hypocrisy of management is extremely difficult to wrap your head around. The lower level managers regularly say, "upper mgmt is making us stay late, yelling at us, and making us come to wknd meetings, but I'm doing everything I can to shield you guys from that pressure." At the same time, upper mgmt tells the sales reps how well the org is doing and how much potential there is for growth from the rep level (even though no SW reps are being hired as managers any more). Upper mgmt also says they want to change the high-pressure culture and invite open honestly from the reps. They don't want honesty, they want a high-fenced maze to separate unhappy employees and those who can do something about it. If you're 22, don't know how to tie your shoes, and get excited over a free redbull, this place may not be that bad. If silly things like: money, loyalty, growth potential, and honesty, interest you - I recommend looking elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Tell your managers to stop promising raises when they know they aren't going to happen. Don't make your managers regulate metrics in a way where your entire sales team wants to quit. Don't do company wide surveys that tell you micromanagement is killing your staff - just to adjust mgr bonus pay structure so that they micromanage even more. From a positive POV - Invest in your sales staff (pay more for better employees), teach/ incentivize sales staff to have at least a slight customer service approach (your sales model has people burning bridges by the dozens and you don't even see it - or you do and just don't care). Invest in your customers, employees, and reputation - they are your future, not next quarter's projections.

Quality & Performance don't matter. If you are not liked, you will be gone.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and a lot of responses from other companies if you have them listed on your resume. There are some nice people that work there, but management is clueless. Good products that sell themselves.

Cons

They will take your ideas, brand them as their own, and throw you out the door without a second thought. They do not care about developing customer relationships. It's all about the number of deals you have closed today, regardless of how you make it happen. The CEO is a religious zealot that sends out offensive e-mails during Christian holidays, and his speeches are full of words that mean nothing and offer non real direction or help to his employees. Everything is broad and general on the surface. If you are on the "inside" of the right clique, I imagine you get the real advice on how to succeed here, like finding call lists with voicemail boxes that have not been set up yet (found this one out literally the day I was let go) and all sorts of other fake methods of "success." This place is a joke and will fail if they stay on the current course.

Advice to Management

Leave and replace yourselves with people who understand how customers want to be treated.

9. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun environment, catered lunches, Great pay

Cons

Its a long commute from where I live.

Advice to Management

My manager is AWESOME!

Place with Zero job security

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chennai (India)

Pros

Nothing can be considered as Pros when there is zero job security.

Cons

Frequent Lay-off with out proper head's up (They call the employees in middle of meeting and make them to leave immediately) Not sure of other locations but Chennai is the worst with unskilled and coward top management who will never question on Austin team's decisions every one is concerned only to keep their seats safe. None of the manager possess technical or managerial skills and no one here is capable enough to take decisions. There is no HR team in Chennai as both the recruiters are laid off back to back.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and try to build a trust .Don't just try to save your jobs because you cannot succeed alone without your team

Good place to work a year or less

I have been working at SolarWinds (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live Austin and can adapt, you can rise quickly. Everything changes, constantly.

Cons

If you don't live in Austin, out of sight out of mind. Career promises are rarely kept either due to the constant shifting or just flat out lies.

RSS Feed </> Embed