SolarWinds

SolarWinds Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson

Kevin B. Thompson

Pros:
  • "Gym, Free lunch twice a week, a job in a tough economy - Looks good on resume"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Catered lunch twice a week is certainly nice"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance not a consideration"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Thrown in to the job, no training, no help when you are on the phone with customer"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok but Need to improve

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
    Chennai (India)

ProsAdaptable work methodology
    Good work environment
    Good company performance
    Average salary hike. Run the life in peaceful manner

ConsHectic work
    Work will be based on the Product / Manager
    No onsite opportunities
    Not easy promotion for Developers but QA
    Unable to get time to learn new technologies

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote all Team in same manner. Partiality in the promotion
    Unnecessary managers
    Inter location relationship not working well [Ex: Ukraine Team]

Fast growing, successful company - who wouldn't want to work here?

Just Promoted (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Brand new building
    - Great company culture
    - Free lunch 2x a week
    - Supportive and lively CEO
    - Great pay/benefits with 401k matching

Cons- Fast paced
    - Sometimes the view of downtown is obstructed

Fast moving company with a great culture!

Pros- Industry leading product
    - Great culture. Company provides lunches twice a week for the entire company, has a committee that is focused on coming up with quarterly activities for the employees to have fun with, they provide each employee with a membership to our onsite gym, and the CEO promotes an atmosphere that is rewarding.
    - Solarwinds provides the challenge I was seeking when I was looking for a new opportunity. It's fast paced, challenging, and a fun place to work. Everything you'd expect from an industry leader!
    - I recently completed a training course that was sponsored by the company. It was a great course that I was able to put into play immediately.
    - Upper management is committed to being the best and it shows. I wouldn't want to work in an environment that is just trying to stay afloat. Solarwinds is carving new paths and it's an exciting time to be here.

Cons- No cons from my point of view. I've seen some comments that say this company may work too hard but I'd rather be working for a company that strives to be the best rather than settle for mediocrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing to be the best!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Never a dull moment...

ProsSWI challenges their employees to continuously strive for the best. Sure, you work hard and the expectations are high, but you're are given the tools to succeed in your job and rewarded for hard work. It's a dynamic, and constantly changing environment due to the innovation of the executive staff. The new location is beautiful, and offers stunning views of the hill country. Employees are given soft perks like catered lunch twice a week, a game room with a pool table, foosball table, TV's, free coffee/water/snacks and other cool company sponsored activities. It's nice to be able to take a break and play a game of shuffleboard with coworkers. Overall, the adage 'work hard, play hard' is alive and well at SolarWinds.

ConsThe commute from North Austin down Mo-Pac can be grueling.

A company only for Yes Men/Women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFree Lunch, decent salary, loyal customers

ConsNYSE company run like family business "GodFather" style. CEO is involved in every decision and cusses out his senior sales people and stuff rolls downhill. Managers are interested to know why you are 5 minutes late and how you have time for lunch???. Limited vision and strong belief that there is only one way, the SolarWinds way. You disagree? There's the door. Attrition is around 50%!!! Oh you brought in a million dollar deal "last week"? What have you done for me today? They'd rather take $10 today than $100 next week-very short sighted and stock price focused company-this is not sustainable. The same group of people keep getting promoted (20 something Directors and 30 something VP's-no, they are not all brilliant, they just toe the line and...) and brilliant people from the outside that joined recently see this and leave-your career is pretty much in the toilet here-the only consolation is money :) Oh, and stop spamming your customers!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like a startup and create a long term strategy. FYI, long term means more than 1 week.

Meh

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsStock options and benefits
    Free lunch twice a week

ConsEasy to get stuck in a position and not be able to move up
    Overly metric driven

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on the person and less on the numbers

Great work atmosphere!

ProsI worked here for 4 yrs and quite enjoyed my time there. The work culture there is great and it is generally a very relaxed work enviroment. We worked very hard and were quite busy most of the time but the people there were great. There was good benefits from the job too. We got free lunch every wednesday and hot food the last 3 days of each month. There were also free snacks and cereal each day a fully stocked soda fridge and also a leisure room with a ping pong table.

ConsWe were frequently understaffed and the training we were received when joining was not great. It is getting better now though

Best company I've worked at so far

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)
    Brno (Czech Republic)

ProsBig opportunities to grow your professional career, friendly people and good atmosphere.

ConsThere are only few hours every day to communicate with the U.S., so sometimes you can end up your working day around 6 PM.

A great re-entry into Texas Technology

Demand Generation Marketing (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsA fast paced, innovative company

ConsSome times reactive instead of proactive in management style, especially at mid-management level. That is changing as the company grows and leadership matures.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeverage your knowledge capital first.

Mesmerizing office domain

ProsDynamic environment.
    BEST PLACE TO WORK IN CORK! Bar nowhere!!!!
    The people, the products, the fun factor... the people!

ConsMeddling from executives in America...an overbearing management style (never happy). HELLO ! THIS IS EUROPE!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementCut us some slack and next time you'll get the five stars!!!!

Worked for SolarWinds? Contribute to the Community!

SolarWinds Videos

SolarWinds – Why Work for Us?

Since our founding in 1999, SolarWinds’ (NYSE: SWI) mission has been to provide purpose-built products that are designed to make IT professionals’ jobs easier. We offer value-driven products and tools that solve a broad… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SolarWinds reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SolarWinds CEO Kevin B. Thompson. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by SolarWinds employees.