SolarWinds

Updated January 25, 2015
3.5

SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Pros
  • Free Lunch twice a week, great benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Gym, Free lunch twice a week, a job in a tough economy - Looks good on resume (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no semblance of work/life balance, especially outside of the VP level (in 10 reviews)

• No training you have to learn on your own (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Few opportunities for advancement, hostile work environment

Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Catered lunches, onsite gym, onsite cafeteria and coffee shop, beautiful new facilities.

Cons

Biggest problem: little to no promotion from within. Frequent turnover because of nowhere to go, cultural fit and lowball starting salaries.

Several people I knew in the company moved backwards in their careers (lessened responsibility, lessened influence, and assigned to less complex and engaging work) through reorganizations of the department. Reorganization is frequent. It's one thing to be willing to change, but it feels as if the company is disorganized and has no sense of direction.

Taking the initiative to get things done is almost discouraged due to the highly compartmentalized nature of the marketing department, yet the frequent shuffling or roles often makes it difficult to find the appropriate person who owns a task.

Marketing in particular is extremely cliquish, as another review stated. There is an exclusionary attitude towards members of the company who don't fit a certain image. What is said to a person's face and what is said when they are not around are often two very different things.

Marketing relies too heavily on email (which its audience sees as spam) and is resistant to change their approach to fit the needs of sales or engineering. SolarWinds' technical staff is highly intelligent and a joy to work with, yet they often dread working with marketing.

You are expected to be online or reachable at almost all hours of the day, and vacation/family/emergency time is not respected. If you wait to check email when you get to work after time off, regardless of why, you are behind. There is no semblance of work/life balance, especially outside of the VP level. Lowest-level employees are slammed with work with too few thanks or opportunities to grow beyond their usual responsibilities.

There are many managers and not enough ways to be promoted into or above that role.

Those who leave because they want more time for their personal life get framed in a negative light: "they couldn't keep up with the pace." That pace is unsustainable for a person with a family or other responsibilities outside of work, especially given the low pay and rare opportunities for career growth.

A geek would feel unwelcome here. That is a huge problem when you work in tech.

Stop talking about valuing your talent and actually do it. Quit looking externally for managerial hires and promote from within, hiring externally for the lowest positions instead. Offer full-time positions to your part-time, hourly, freelance and intern staff more frequently once they have proven to be an asset to the company. Part-timers should not be strung along for months or even years with the promise of a full time job that never materializes. When good, reliable talent appears, you need to do everything within your power to keep them there. Pay workers at all ends of the spectrum a fair salary for the Austin job market to keep up with the cost of living.

Something must be done about the office culture. There is a real problem with immaturity. Workers should be valued for talent and talent alone.

Listen more to the technical and sales staff, and don't refuse to implement ideas they have because it will hurt downloads or some other irrelevant metric. Leads driven need to be quality over quantity.

Be more willing to stick with a system or a organizational structure for longer. New tools are rarely used to their fullest potential before being scrapped for other systems.

Experiment more with how you market SolarWinds' products to prospects, not with internal processes and structure. The market is constantly evolving and SolarWinds needs to adapt how it relates to its prospective userbase.

Ensure that everyone has a reasonable workload and that every task has a clear reason or benefit for being assigned. VPs and managers should share some of the burden with their lower employees.

Avoid Solarwinds if at all possible

I worked at SolarWinds

Pros

Some genuinely nice and helpful people working here that ultimately deserve better

Cons

Little or no training
    Hiring and firing is like a carousel
    You are only as good as your last quarter
    Cliquish
    Talking with fellow employees is frowned upon during business hours
    Can be very monotonous - you could be doing the same job after 3 years that you were doing after 3 months
    Bad management skills
    I would advise stay away from this company or at least explore all options before joining
    Read the terms and length of contract also

None - I would not waste my time with advice to them

Employee morale is VERY low, losing key talent en masse

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

relaxed dress code
    nice new building
    free gym
    free snacks
    catered lunches

Cons

consistently changing policies without beneficial results
    top heavy organization (many vps, svps, directors, managers)
    understaffed in key positions
    lack of upward mobility
    Nepotism
    left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

listen to your employees, think before you act. try and retain the base knowledge.

Fast growing, successful company - who wouldn't want to work here?

Current Employee - Just Promoted in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Just Promoted in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Brand new building
    - Great company culture
    - Free lunch 2x a week
    - Supportive and lively CEO
    - Great pay/benefits with 401k matching

Cons

- Fast paced
    - Sometimes the view of downtown is obstructed

Never a dull moment...

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SWI challenges their employees to continuously strive for the best. Sure, you work hard and the expectations are high, but you're are given the tools to succeed in your job and rewarded for hard work. It's a dynamic, and constantly changing environment due to the innovation of the executive staff. The new location is beautiful, and offers stunning views of the hill country. Employees are given soft perks like catered lunch twice a week, a game room with a pool table, foosball table, TV's, free coffee/water/snacks and other cool company sponsored activities. It's nice to be able to take a break and play a game of shuffleboard with coworkers. Overall, the adage 'work hard, play hard' is alive and well at SolarWinds.

Cons

The commute from North Austin down Mo-Pac can be grueling.

Fast moving company with a great culture!

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

- Industry leading product
    - Great culture. Company provides lunches twice a week for the entire company, has a committee that is focused on coming up with quarterly activities for the employees to have fun with, they provide each employee with a membership to our onsite gym, and the CEO promotes an atmosphere that is rewarding.
    - Solarwinds provides the challenge I was seeking when I was looking for a new opportunity. It's fast paced, challenging, and a fun place to work. Everything you'd expect from an industry leader!
    - I recently completed a training course that was sponsored by the company. It was a great course that I was able to put into play immediately.
    - Upper management is committed to being the best and it shows. I wouldn't want to work in an environment that is just trying to stay afloat. Solarwinds is carving new paths and it's an exciting time to be here.

Cons

- No cons from my point of view. I've seen some comments that say this company may work too hard but I'd rather be working for a company that strives to be the best rather than settle for mediocrity.

Keep pushing to be the best!

Meh

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stock options and benefits
    Free lunch twice a week

Cons

Easy to get stuck in a position and not be able to move up
    Overly metric driven

Spend more time on the person and less on the numbers

Great work atmosphere!

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here for 4 yrs and quite enjoyed my time there. The work culture there is great and it is generally a very relaxed work enviroment. We worked very hard and were quite busy most of the time but the people there were great. There was good benefits from the job too. We got free lunch every wednesday and hot food the last 3 days of each month. There were also free snacks and cereal each day a fully stocked soda fridge and also a leisure room with a ping pong table.

Cons

We were frequently understaffed and the training we were received when joining was not great. It is getting better now though

A great re-entry into Texas Technology

Current Employee - Demand Generation Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Demand Generation Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A fast paced, innovative company

Cons

Some times reactive instead of proactive in management style, especially at mid-management level. That is changing as the company grows and leadership matures.

Leverage your knowledge capital first.

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very interesting business model: highly transactional and web-based. Profitable company that pays well (base, bonus and stock). Nice perks.

Cons

NYSE company run like family business. CEO involved in every decision. Limited vision and strong belief that there is only one way, the SolarWinds way. Only employee motivator is money. High turnaround in most departments.

Challenge your beliefs and question your leader(ship). Value your employees.