Soldsie Reviews

Reset
2.8
Chris Bennett

1. Cool product, great people, ethical and honest

I have been working at Soldsie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

laid back company culture everyone works hard product is cool and really solves client problems very goal oriented to grow the business managers push you to be better & improve performance catered free lunch transportation stipend paid health, dental, vision monthly company outings 3 weeks paid vacation

Cons

lack of organization or direction for what they want to become in the future leadership makes quick decisions based on only a few data points. they don't make a decision after weighing all the options and considering how it is going to affect both the short and long term goals of the company. no infrastructure for career growth for employees no 401K plan

Advice to Management

think about your decisions more before making them make sure every department has a goal that fits within the main goals of the company. make sure the goals are clear to all employees

start-up cliche

I worked at Soldsie

Pros

Free lunch, competitive salary, cool space, interesting business selling on social media, transparency around company progress,

Cons

Business decisions pulled out of rear-ends, not research. Amateur-hour "leadership". Gender imbalance is indefensible.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to blowhard advisors met through b-school connections. Grow up and take management training.

Horrendous

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Soldsie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunches, dog friendly, nice people

Cons

The founders were not able to create a good culture, the trust was completely lacking from the company culture. The engineering product was weak and the codebase lacked any documentation and I was given no chance to onboard. A horrible experience

Advice to Management

Time for a new line of work!

Founders were great, some of the management they hired ruined the whole experience.

I worked at Soldsie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the outside looking in, it looks like the company is doing great. Exciting SF tech startup and all that comes with it.

Cons

The product doesn't work very well. The social media companies have too much power over the future of this company. Only 20 something percent of customers that tried the product ever even sold more than $1000 worth of products through their platform. However, they essentially trained us to lie to prospects and make it seem like it was a no risk product (which they had to pay for 6 months of in advance). Definitely some questionable sales tactics expected of employees, to the point of not being a comfortable situation. Like I said, the founders seem like nice guys, but they didn't have our backs when things went south when we were doing what our managers trained us to.

Advice to Management

Pump the brakes, clean up the tactics a bit, build a sustainable business.

Soldsie is a horrible place to work.

I worked at Soldsie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working at Soldsie. It is just bad.

Cons

The founders are clueless with no passion for their customers, employees or associates. Soldsie fired really good people that probably could have helped move the company forward. It seems that they prefer working with people they don't challenge them or speak up. People that are most successful at Soldsie don't have much work experience and/or have little to no experience at startups. Please read the negative reviews here. They paint the real picture of Soldsie.

Advice to Management

Get some advice from people that had good exists. Quit for a while and try to figure out how to be better. Both of the founders are distant and cold. They don't seem to know how to deal with people and create that team feeling.

DO NOT WORK OR INVEST IN SOLDSIE - PRODUCT FAILED- MASS LAYOFFS

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Soldsie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none. These guys waisted eveyone time and fired everyone.

Cons

Everyone just got the axe. These guys had a great idea and had no clue on how to execute it. They waisted my time and I wish I could get it back. These Entrepreneurs talk a good game, but are easily influenced. If you are in Marketing, sales, angel investor RUN. These guys have no clue of what they are doing. I have never seen someone sink a start up faster than they have.

Advice to Management

Time for a new line of work boys!

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Soldsie

Pros

The co-founders and co-workers have always been receptive to feedback and suggestions. The ability to walk up to either co-founder and have an open conversation has always been great. I love the collaborative environment. Also, I've appreciated some of the hard decisions management has had to make as they've ultimately been to move the company in the right direction.

Cons

Not that it suffers, but there is always room for cross departmental communication in any organization.

Seriously lacking in good management and leadership

I worked at Soldsie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dogs at work (How fun! They are cute! Stress reduction!) Free lunches and snacks-you can eat all 3 meals at work if you like Sit-stand desks and whatever equipment you need to work A limited number of genuine, hard-working and intelligent colleagues

Cons

Dogs at work--Barking dogs while you try to work with accounts on the phone day in and day out is frustrating and felt very unprofessional. The sales strategy at this company sets employees up for failure. The product is oversold and not able to deliver value to all clients. The blame for not delivering value is placed on clients. If the company focused on product and service over sales, I believe it would be more successful. Leadership at the company and department level is sorely lacking. I did not feel confident that sound business decisions were made (hunch validated by significant layoffs in fall 2014). It seems like all levels of management are involved in this business to eke out something of value for their personal or professional life. There did not seem to be an authentic desire to work with a diverse team and build something great.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourself, your employees and your clients.

Proceed with Caution

I worked at Soldsie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance Catered Lunch Dog Friendly Some* quality employees

Cons

Men and women share the same bathroom. This is not only weird, it made me uncomfortable... Laid off people TWO days into starting their job; like the CEO and CO-Founder didn't know they were in trouble? Why would continue to hire? Transparency, yeah right.... High pressure sales environment (head of sales barely made himself known) maybe because upper management made him do other things, who knows....whenever he was present he wasn't helpful CEO showed lack of interest in his employees, even during the interview process - he lead company meetings, but mostly, he stands at his desk all day with his headphones in Oh, and the commission structure was a joke. If you didn't hit quota, you were paid $0. Even if you were $100 away, comical.

Advice to Management

This was a disaster. I tried to find a sliver lining here, and can't. The issue is the management team. They were not involved in the sales process, at all. Yet, it's the sales teams fault that the company wasn't doing well? NO. It was your fault. Yes, the co-founder is an engineer, but he never once talked to the sales team. The CEO chatted with us maybe twice? Get it together....

Once a Great Place

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Soldsie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Some great co-workers

Cons

- Lack of formal training - Disorganized - No transparency - Leadership is suspect - Product is cool, yet no in-depth technical training on it leading to displeased customers - Bait & Switched multiple times

Advice to Management

You built a company that was not true to it's values. Lack of transparency lead to company wide layoffs. People were hired, and to days later fired. Next time, take a more active approach. Be proactive with employees instead of reactive. Listen to criticisms when given.

RSS Feed </> Embed