Solekai Systems Corp Reviews

1 Rating

1. Solekai is a god company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, relaxed atmosphere. Free food and snacks. Fuse ball. Competent people to work with.

Cons

Customer funded engineering company. Customer can stop or interrupt funding at anytime then the project stops and you could get laid off. Nice cubes and office / work equipment.

Better management of customers. Better customer qualifying.

Jan 30, 2015HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We love our company culture at Solekai. We are increasing our customer base to increase stability or our engineering work.

Comfortable place to work, small company.

I have been working at Solekai Systems Corp

Pros

Great people on the engineering team, friendly atmosphere. Flexible hours. Free snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

No paid time off, no promotions, no bonuses for engineers.

Oct 7, 2014HR Manager

All our engineering positions are paid hourly, so the more hours worked, the greater earnings paid. In comparing other similar engineering companies' salaried positions, our compensation is higher.

Great

Former Contractor - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Excellent talent pool.

Cons

Hard to say anything bad, really.

Free Food & Fun Atmosphere

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Solekai Systems Corp as a contractor

Pros

If you love to work and hate to leave the office, this is the perfect place to work. No need to leave for anything, everything is located conveniently here with a large variety of choices.

Cons

Not a great place to work as a contractor during the holidays, due to know Holiday pay. But I think that is almost everywhere.

Get a littler more personal, with the extra perks you offer adding a special touch will make this company go much further!

Amazing SW Engineering Design Company in beautiful San Diego

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Solekai Systems Corp full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employees here are awesome, extremely knowledgeable, friendly and supportive of one another. Every month they have a company event with excellent wine and local micro brews.
    One employee that works in engineering told me he has learned more at Solekai in the last 5 months than in the prior 5 years at his previous company. I love hearing this, and I can say the same thing, there are some great opportunities to learn new skills at Solekai. Solekai also hosts some local tech events at our beautiful office, giving the opportunity to learn about emerging technology.

Cons

Traffic can be a little crazy in this area at peak times, but we are W of I-5, so that makes it easier and work hours are flexible.

Solekai has Fallen on Hard Times

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solekai Systems Corp

Pros

Open, hands-off environment as long as you do your work. Work is not very difficult for the most part. You are free to learn as much as you can, though your opportunities to do so will be limited by how busy your manager keeps you and how willing other employees are to share their knowledge.

There is a lunch room with free food, and donuts and bagels on Fridays. There's no limit on how much you can take, so snack away.

People are friendly enough. The company tries to promote a neighborly feeling. There are some good people here and you might find yourself with regular lunch buddies.

There are various fun activities, like office golf and luaus and monthly get togethers with food and drink.

You couldn't ask for a more beautiful environment. Solekai is located near the gorgeous Torrey Pines - Del Mar ocean area.

Cons

While the environment is open and hands-off, that hands-off managing leads to some serious office politics. Disgruntled employees and influential non-management staff may become major daily obstacles. Best to stay on everyone's good side, if you can.

Solekai's former big revenue stream has dried. What was was once a business of 200+ employees is now a much smaller company of several dozen. There are always ideas being thrown around by upper management for new projects, and a few of them work out, however nothing big has panned out.

Career opportunities are not bountiful here. Work needs are dictated by customer requirements, most of them concerning set top boxes (such as dvrs from your cable company). Solekai is not doing creative projects of its own. It is tinkering with existing hardware and software from other companies, creating test harnesses, testing requirements, and so on. As such hiring is done to those needs and only for those needs. If those customer needs disappear, then so too does your job. Some career growth does happen here, especially for key engineers, however for most employees it does not.

While little career movement occurs at Solekai, if you are a critical employee you will be heavily engaged interpersonally by managers who will involve you in work processes. Much of this is done as employee buy in, because the company has a problem hanging on to personnel through other means. If you are not a critical employee, likely a tester or test engineer, you may be ignored almost completely and have few opportunities for career advancement or learning skills, just daily tasks assigned through a database.

Pay for engineers is average, for testers well above average, for test engineers slightly under average. Nothing great and nothing terrible. Benefits are below average, low quality medical and dental, unless you purchase the very expensive plans. The more affordable plans are HMOs. Most employees are on hourly contracts and receive no paid holiday, vacation, or sick days (!!!).

Middle-management has it rough at this company as they deal with a lot of top down pressure from the CEO/Owner while struggling to retain key employees. Thus they promise the world while struggling to balance budgets and retain staff. Be careful with the managers, and be wary of any promises they give.

The company has a revolving door employee issue. Projects may go on hiatus, leading to temporary employee termination. Employees are brought back when money flows back to the company. Due to the "small-town neighborly" environment, many employees will return because the work is often not challenging and it pays decently.

Niche QA services are not easy to sell. Solekai has built itself upon that niche. It provides outsourced software engineering and QA to other software engineering companies. In our current financial environment, that sort of outsourced work is one of the first expenses cut. Compounding the problem, Solekai is not the only player in outsourced QA engineering or the STB (set top box) world, even in San Diego. There are several others, some of them very big and successful. What this means is that Solekai has a difficult time ahead of it, as it fights to hold its shrinking niche.

Clamp down on the office politics. Provide more career advancement. Explore other business opportunities.

Apr 22, 2014HR Manager

Solekai Systems weathered through the recession and we are stronger than ever with a more diverse client base. We have added to our project management team and continue to grow!

Solekai Systems Corp Photos