Solera Holdings Reviews

3.3
Solera Holdings Founder, Chairman & CEO Tony Aquila
Tony Aquila

1. Featured Review

Do you know why I joined Solera?

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time

Pros

I spent over a month interviewing with -- and more importantly, doing a lot of due diligence on -- Solera before deciding to join. I wanted to make sure I knew everything about Solera... especially the people, the culture, the work environment, and the passion of its leaders. I’d like to thank everyone who posted on here, because it helped with my decision to join. I work for a more meaningful purpose, an opportunity to do cool things with awesome people. So with this as a backdrop, here are the pros of working at Solera: + THE CULTURE: the importance Solera places on its people -- is amazing. Yes, you see it on the walls in the office, or on their website, or on everyone's desk. And that's easy for any company to do. But what's rare -- and unique to Solera -- is that you can literally feel the culture when you walk in. It's powerful. It's tangible. And it guides everything the company does. It's not just an empty mission statement, or a poetic promise. It's a commitment to the success of the company, and the personal and professional work ethic that is required to get there. Culture... and belief in its people... that is the #1 reason I joined. + THE FOUNDER & CEO: To me, it's very important to be part of a company that is still led, managed and heavily influenced by the person who started it. Why? Because of the vision, the passion, the honesty and the realism that only the founder of a company can bring. Any company can hire outside talent to run a functional part of its business, but only a founding CEO can fuel the company with a relentless dedication to continuous improvement and innovation, and to making sure that we're always fighting for something greater, something more important. This is what separates truly innovative and entrepreneurial companies that do awesome things, from those that lose sight of what a business needs to do. Never trust a CEO who doesn't show his passion -- in both positive and challenging situations -- because that just isn't natural, or real, and authenticity is the key to winning customers. + THE OPPORTUNITY: The automobile industry has been around for over a century, and except for the recent birth of Tesla, not much has changed. It's heavily fragmented, highly distrusted, and impossible to appreciate. But just like the Tesla story, Solera has faith in technology, in innovation, in people, and in the belief that positive disruption can only happen with these core components in place. Solera's mission is to transform the auto industry to help it go digital — and that’s inspirational. + THE FOOD. Yes, free food. But not just any food. Healthy food. Delicious food… Food that feeds your brain… and soul. But its not just the food…. Solera really cares about the health of its team members. At the end of the day, Solera is a technology company, a software company, an innovation shop... one that pushes the edge of what's possible, and isn't afraid of doing great things -- and investing in those things to make them real. It's a multi-billion dollar company in over 70 countries, but it feels like a fearless entrepreneurial startup. The world’s largest startup.

Cons

Look, I'll be straight: Solera is all about performance, but that is absolutely what is necessary in order for technology and innovation to do awesome things, and shift industries in game-changing ways. There's not a lot of rules on how long or hard you have to work, but that's because Solera has so much faith in its people to do the right thing. So if you're looking for a laid back, 9-to-5 job, Solera is not for you... (and neither is any truly innovative tech company). Solera is for those who want to succeed, and will not stop to do so. #forreal

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best of the best. Don't ever lose your commitment to team members. It’s hard work…. Keep it up.

May 20, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in depth review. We take pride in our uncommon mission, our innovative culture, and, most importantly, our people. It takes passion like yours for ... More

2. Engaging and Worthwhile

Current Employee - Internal Controls and SOX Manager in Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - Internal Controls and SOX Manager in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solera is a place where you will find passionate, competent, high-caliber people in spades. It is a dynamic environment which keeps its employees on their toes. The drive is real. The "missions" provide perpetual growth and stretch opportunities. The culture is for people who like to be engaged and accountable.

Cons

It can be a challenge as people consider working here for them to be honest with themselves about whether they are willing to step up their game and truly work in a 360 way to take ownership of their career and do whatever it takes to hit the target.

Advice to Management

I like the management. They are real. They care about the success of the company. They like to win. I don't really have much advice. If anything my comment would be to thank management for the vision and high expectations which help people draw out their best efforts.

So much to learn, so much to do

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time

Pros

Strong salary and benefits package, nice perks (free gym membership, fully stocked fridge, catered lunches). The pace is quick, the people are smart, things get done quickly without management micromanaging how they actually get done. Great environment to tackle new challenges and push yourself to be better.

Cons

It's not a "check out at 5pm" type job. People are busy and want to get things done, often it is 6:30 before I even look at the clock (which isn't a bad thing).

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the best people, that's what makes this all possible. The company expects a lot out of employees (and rewards them accordingly), which is great as long as the right people are on the team working towards the same mission.

May 27, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are thrilled that you appreciate all the benefits and uncommon perks that Solera has to offer. We couldn’t agree more, hiring and developing ... More

Emperor might be missing wardrobe

Former Employee - Corporate in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate in Westlake, TX

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People, assets and market position

Cons

cult of personality vs. customer centric constant turnover of employees / low employee morale zero work life balance

Advice to Management

"Performance culture" should apply to everyone with sustained major stock value losses

Jun 26, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

Our associates are definitely a pro to working at Solera and the Company works diligently to reward the efforts of employees not only through a stellar total rewards program but also uncommon career ... More

Uncommon or Unhealthy Culture

Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None; the place promotes their uncommon culture, but, any where you read the word uncommon, replace it with unhealthy.

Cons

I worked here for about seven months and I had 5 bosses; they fire people who do not fall in to line with the cult like unhealthy culture. Some will and have conformed and seem to do well but only because they have sold their soul to the 80/20, 90/10, 30/30 stuff that is overused and misunderstood by nearly everyone. Did not meet the CEO, but did hear him screaming at people and cussing at people and verbally beating people down too many times. If that is the "uncommon" work experience you are looking for, join the team.

Advice to Management

Keep the core business attributes and vision because it is solid, but weave in some positive reinforcement from the middle management and team doing the work and keep the CEO locked in his office where people do not have to hear him screaming all the time.

Jun 9, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

Solera is a passionate work environment made up of driven individuals that desire to raise the bar. We do this by staying laser focused on the 20 that creates the 80. The disruptive and high-paced ... More

Senior Software Developer

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Solera Holdings

Pros

Rich company, they have money, they are growing.

Cons

Culture, culture, culture... Or as Solera calls it: Guiding Principles Fake reviews on Glassdoor ... the reviews I read are directly from their propaganda around the culture. When I first started working for Solera (through an acquisition) the CEO approval rating was in the teens, surprised to see it's now so high. Too much focus on making everyone a robot through their culture. 80/20 30/30 3x80 90/10...

Advice to Management

Value the people more than the culture. Without the people, I fear for the longevity of the talented staff sticking around.

Jun 1, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are proud of our strong culture and even more so of our talented team members that enable it to thrive across more than 75 countries. It’s ... More

Intense and Rewarding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westlake, TX

I worked at Solera Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you're looking for a career boost, Solera is extremely rewarding and has really great benefits. This isn't a boring cubicle environment. There are always interesting and unique events. I agree with another review "wall street meets amazing race". Everything is done with an accelerated sense of urgency. A highly-qualify skill set is not enough to qualify. The key is how you execute. The guiding principles you learn here (80/20 90/10 30/30) will echo into the rest of your career. Prepare to be pushed to your limits. It can be quite exhausting, but when you realize how much you've actually accomplished, it will motivate you to get back up and do it again.

Cons

Not for everyone: Although there are a good number of family-oriented events and perks, the schedule can be difficult for family. This may be a company better suited for career-oriented individuals without kids, or those whose kids have already left the nest.

Unique culture with great growth opportunity for the company and employees

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time

Pros

Very strong cultural values - 80/20, 30/30, 90/10 are not buzz words but are ingrained throughout the organization. Amazing benefits/great total comp. Employees are empowered to move things forward and make improvements and are accountable for the results of the entire team.

Cons

A high level of flexibility does produce more complexity and a certain amount of chaos. You need to be a true self starter and confident in driving your own career in order to succeed within Solera.

"Wall Street meets The Amazing Race"

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Prepare to be unprepared is the credo by which all employees live and operate. Entrepreneurial to its core, Solera is comprised of associates with high intellect, a constant hunger to learn and a profound passion to make a difference, both professionally and philanthropically. Having worked for a number of top box employers in my past, where hidden agendas are the de facto, I have marveled at Solera’s emphasis for transparency and belief in Fighting for the We, a key ingredient to measuring success on any initiative. I liken the experience to “Wall Street meets The Amazing Race,” highly analytical and results oriented, yet resourceful, agile and team oriented to win the fight. This is a culture where management truly walks the talk and a result, creates an all volunteer crew to the cause…

Cons

Solera is growing so quickly both geographically and through diversification. Keeping pace with new territory expansion, diversified business models and changes in technology is often overwhelming. Finding optimal solutions for virtualization to reduce travel would be ideal.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great people, who are inspired to make a difference and take pride in their work and humanity Do not compromise! Great people bring great passion, which will ensure that the legacy of Solera will live on.

Get under the hood...this company is awesome!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Solera Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Solera Way is a compass, pointing you in the direction you need to go (the 20) and giving you the freedom to own the result (the 80); if you want to challenge yourself and test your real potential, this is one of the best professional and personal experiences you can have. Solera invests in people in uncommon ways - through the Solera Institute (3-day event that is kind of like the Amazing Race, the Apprentice, and Survivor blended together) through LIFT to LIFE (6 month charitable mission program) and constant opportunities to deploy onto new teams and missions. Most importantly, through 90/10 teammates who will help you sharpen your performance everyday. It's about being humble (it's ok to fail if you are willing to learn from it), hungry (constant dissatisfaction) and hunting (innovate, go for the win). In any position in the company, you are encouraged to be creative and challenge the status quo and find a more efficient, more digital, more Uncommon way...the Solera Way! The CEO is a visionary entrepreneur who inspires people to be their best.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly, it can get very demanding and fast pace and you have to manage your workload to keep up. It's not for everyone, you have to be willing to raise your own bar and be open to new things and ambiguity.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging us! And share some of the wins, the company is very humble about its success but could benefit from more communication & celebrating the team wins.

RSS Feed </> Embed