Soliant Consulting

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
4.5

Bob Bowers

Learned more here than an entire semester at school

Former Employee - Web Developer - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Web Developer - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Soliant Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

+ I worked at the Chicago location and the relationships I saw between employees went far deeper than just work friends.
    + The senior developers were always happy to help me and went out of there way to ask me if I wanted to go to lunch with them on a daily basis
    + I was never treated like an intern, and I can honestly say I looked forward to going to work every day. (Nice change from my last 3 internships)
    + The first few weeks you go through "bootcamp" where you learn Zend Framework 2 as well as any other web technologies that you individually need work on. I was then put on a massive project where I learned about how to contribute code to a team of developers as opposed to working individually. At the end, I was given my very own project where I could showcase what I had learned all summer while feeling like I was contributing to the company.
    + The people here are extremely skilled with both technology and client relations

Cons

I loved the freedom I had to learn the technologies I personally lacked. However, You must love web development and being very self disciplined when it comes to your learning.

Personally, I think management displayed the perfect balance of hands on guidance vs letting me learn on my own.

They make sure we are satisfied

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Soliant Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like how they make sure we have a good level of autonomy as well as how their trust towards their employees. There is a lot of transparency and people tend to help a lot.

Cons

I'd like to see less people working from home. The new office is great but I feel there isn't much interaction between employees.

A wonderful company

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Soliant Consulting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and are concerned about work life balance.

Cons

As it is a smaller company some polices are not as well defined as they are in a bigger company.

I got hands-on experience

Current Employee - Intern in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Soliant Consulting as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot. Everyone was friendly and approachable. The management style was highly efficient and akin to my personality.

Cons

I hope their new building in Burlingame will have more natural light.

Great team where my work and people matter

Current Employee - Applications Developer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Soliant Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Soliant pays attention to clients, not just coding.. I like the variety of projects, I get a lot of interaction with different people, and I can always see the systems we build put to use. It was exciting to see our projects used a huge company we all know. As a consulting company, Soliant is not as high-pressure as others... I think there's good balance. I also think the company is really great about taking care of people. I had a family issue come up and one of the owners took a personal interest in helping my circumstances. I also think there are incredibly smart people at the company, but it doesn't go to their heads.

Cons

No company is perfect... I wish we had better tools sometimes. The systems we use don't always talk to each other, and the interface of our home grown system can get in the way at times. Still, we have a small company mindset and there's room for people to do stuff on their own.

Keep growing the business. It feels like we should hire more quickly.

Soliant's a great company to work for if you want to expand your knowledge and work with clients.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Soliant Consulting as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

- Really great management team. I personally work directly with one of the C-level executives, and I find him really approachable.
    - Great perks. I know the Bay Area is rife with tech companies that cater well to their employees, but I think Soliant really makes sure the employees are taken care of - really good work/life balance.
    - No politics really, which is something I personally appreciate.

I think someone who would really like working for Soliant would be someone who is passionate about their work. It seems that individuality is also appreciated, so there's kind of a fun mix of personalities in the office.

Cons

I personally don't work with clients; i just work internally. But I think that you would have to really like working with clients as a developer, or it just wouldn't be a good fit for you.

Go to Learn, Leave to Advance

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Soliant Consulting

Pros

Ability to Learn
    Ethical, involved management

Cons

Inability to Advance, Strict Segmentation between planners and coders leaves nowhere to go, lots of bad plans and bad estimates

Hire less non-tech employees

Great people, but you must be very self directed to do well there.

I have been working at Soliant Consulting

Pros

- Great Work Life balance
    - Good Fun People
    - Interesting Work
    - Interesting Clients
    - Great off-sites
    - Flexible schedules

Cons

- Owners are not transparent about their plans for the company
    - Too many re-orgs
    - No Educational benefits
    - Salaries/ bonuses not up to par

In a nutshell, Soliant needs to transform into a company with goals and a direction that includes staff buy-in. To many decisions are made on the whims of the owners. Human resource decisions need to be based on policy, rather than in reaction to the personalities of the owners.