Solid Cactus

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David L. Brown (web.com)

Solid Cactus - 11th Best Places To Work in PA - Trying to Survive in a Bad Economy

Management (Current Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsSolid Cactus is definitely the best place I've ever worked.

There are excellent opportunities for advancement and an open-door policy with management all the way up to the President.

Those coming to management with issues or problems with the company are charged with coming up with ideas to solve the problem encouraging employees to have even more extensive input into the operations process.

The company is also a fun environment where it is not uncommon to see impromptu nerf gun foam dart wars in programming or impromptu frisbee games in Marketing. Management understands that all work and no fun is unhealthy and causes high levels of stress.

The company has recently (within the last few weeks) undergone a total restructuring to improve efficiency.

During the recent economic downturn, regular messages are sent out from the owners about the financial position of the company, just so employees are kept informed. The Profit/Loss reports are available for any employee to view in order to solicit suggestions for increasing revenue and cutting unnecessary expenses.

ConsIf you're looking for an easy job where you come in 9 to 5 every day -- Solid Cactus is not for you.
    If you can't survive in an atmosphere of rapid change, you're not going to last long here.
    If you must question and challenge every decision that is made that you personally do not agree with, without researched justification of your objection - you'll need to change that. We don't tolerate complainers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are expected to adapt to change rapidly. Management should offer a workshop on working in that type of environment.

I Love Solid Cactus

Shavertown, PA

ProsFeedback from employees is considered. Laid-back working atmosphere. Employees are personally known by name. I have never worked for a company that goes out of its way for employees the way Solid Cactus does. Every company has its pros and cons, but Solid Cactus certainly has a lot of significant advantages as an employer.

ConsLike many places, healthcare costs continue to rise.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay connected to your employees. Stay true to the mission that makes Solid Cactus a great place to work!

"treat others the way you would want to be treated"

Staff Accountant (Current Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsThis is a VERY professional environment with the most knowledgeable employees for the positions held. Solid Cactus only recruites the most qualified people for the positions held. If a stranger came in off the street, they wouldn't be able to distingish between the owners of Solid Cactus or the actual employees. We all work together (as a family) for the good of our customers and in turn, making the company a better environment for all those who choose to be employed at Solid Cactus.

ConsI am sure, some people may not be use to being employed by such a dynamic company. Solid Cactus demands their employees be knowledgable and to treat other's the way they would want to be treated. I guess that some people aren't cut out to being treated fairly and that would definitely make it difficult to work for such a company. Solid Cactus is a GREAT place to work... "SHAME ON YOU", Solid Cactus owners for being fair to your employees and honest to a fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your "open door" policy. Give options in order for staff to bring family members in to see our building, our offices and meet our co-workers, as well as, our senior management. Hey, we need an "OPEN HOUSE", some of us can't help but be proud of where we work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reasons why SOLID CACTUS is one of the BEST PLACES TO WORK IN PA

(Current Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsThere is a reason why Solid Cactus was ranked 11th Best Place to Work in PA in 2007, ranked in the Top 50 in 2006, and again in 2008. The owners really care about the employees. When looking for a new building due to the recent growth of the company, it was the owners that took a stand for the employee and said we do not want employees to incur the cost of parking. That was their basis for looking for a new place to work. It wasn't that the employees also would be offered amenities like the gym, cafe on premises, reduced prices on cafe items for the employees let alone a monthly employee allowance at the cafe, breakrooms on every floor, courtyard with picnic tables and a hammock, dual monitors on every desk that makes an employee even more productive, flexible schedule, days off when requested, ability to work from home in bad weather conditions if position allows for it, a very casual work environment meaning able to wear jeans to work, and the list goes on and on. Other amenities include top notch phone system, music system heard through the entire buidling, good management structure you normally would not find of companies of this size, open door policy to the owners, and meeting with the owner on every Thursday afternoon if you have an idea or suggestion to make Solid Cactus a better place to work. Solid Cactus is top notch and does nothing but the best for the employees. The fact remains after listing all those ammenities an employee has at Solid Cactus, the owners primary concern when we moved was the employee and where the employees would park.

Thanks Joe and Scott for everything you have done for us. It is appreciated by the employees.

ConsThere really is not a downside to working here. I've worked for several companies in the Wilkes-Barre area and this is the best of the best. .

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a great job in bad economic times.

Solid Cactus a Creative, Vibrant, Forward-Thinking, Great Place to Work

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsI've been at Solid Cactus going on two years as of this writing. I can't see myself working anywhere else. In an area like Northeast Pennsylvania where good jobs are slim, and creative/technology jobs are even slimmer, Solid Cactus is a gem of an employer. For my geographical location, I make a good living. Do technology jobs in San Francisco and New York City pay more? I'm sure of it. But I live here in Northeast PA and live comfortably.

The atmosphere at Solid Cactus is pretty much amazing. We work in a remodeled former school building. The work areas are bright, vibrant and spacious. We have a gymnasium for ping pong and basketball and an on-site, employee subsidized cafe serving everything from homemade pizza, to hot meals and subs and salads... snacks, ice cream and frozen drinks too. Since the cafe opened, I actually find I am more production because I never leave the premises for lunch. All employees get an monthly allowance to use at the cafe, too. We have satellite radio pumping through the building which set a good mood. We have a laid back dress code- I love wearing jeans to work. I've never been a dress-up kind of girl! We have catered quarterly meetings where we are apprised of what's happening in each department and what's on the roadmap. For more daily communication between staff and with our clients, we have forums, department blogs and a monthly magazine.

I have never worked in an environment that thrived on such creativity, where my ideas mattered. Employee ideas are encourage and often implemented. That says a lot to me. What employees do well is recognized. We have an employee of the month program, and additionally, if a client emails management with a compliment about an employee, it gets forwarded company-wide. Getting a glowing review for a job well-done from a client is a great feeling-- but getting those words shared with the whole company is even better!

Solid Cactus does some great things for the clients and community as well. We publish a bi-monthly e-commerce magazine and host semi-annual e-commerce boot camps, both of which all staff are encouraged to write/present to share their own expertise and knowledge. Staff in general at Solid Cactus are encouraged to be involved. For the community, we've implemented a Cactus Cares Fund. Employees can choose to have a donation withheld from their paycheck each week to go into the fund. Contributors once per quarter nominate a non-profit and then the staff votes and money is awarded at the quarterly staff meetings. We've donated thousands of dollars to some really great organizations. We've adopted the road our company is located on and are doing our first clean-up soon. The list continues.

Solid Cactus attracts a certain kind of employee, so most of the staff here gets a long very well. I love coming in to work each day. When I've traveled for the company, I missed being here. Outside of working hours, I have become great friends with my coworkers here and have in general gained a tremendous amount of respect for so many people here, superiors and peers alike. A few of us even created a Solid Cactus book club, where we read the same book and meet to discuss.

Like any growing company, things change with growth. For example, some of the perks we enjoyed when we were just a few dozen people, such as free breakfast and candy, are no longer. It is the case at most growing companies, its commonplace for things to constantly evolve- choices usually made for the better of the company, for the sustainability of the company. The one great thing about the company growing is that there is plenty of room for advancement. I've seen many of my colleagues go from worker bee to being in charge of a department-- maybe even a newly created department. It's certainly an exciting time for e-commerce and an exciting time for Solid Cactus.

I often work at home after work, come in on weekends and work late-- and I am not alone. I only called off one day during almost two years. My last sentence alone should be all anyone needs to hear to know how much I love working for Solid Cactus.

ConsAfter everything I said above, I really don't know what I would say for a downside.

Advice to Senior ManagementI pretty much said it all above.

Solid Cactus - Standing Together

Shavertown, PA

ProsSolid Cactus has proven time and again that they are here for their employees. There is an open door policy with regards to management. I always feel free to share ideas and opinions and while they may not always be implemented they are listened to and thought about. Everyone supports each other and the employees are always accepting of one another's success. There are emails that are sent company wide from one employee praising another with a "Great job" or "I couldn't have done this without you."

ConsWhile I agree that we work long hours, it's recognized. The higher ups see who puts in the extra 10% to get a job done well.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice or feedback. I trust them to make decisions that are good for the company and the employees.

World Class Employer

Vice President Sales (Current Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsAs an industry leader we provide our Clients with quality products and services at competitive prices. We are the worlds largest preferred developer on the Yahoo! platform and have more Internet Retailer 500 Clients than any other developer. To date we have worked on almost 4,000 stores and also provide our clients with alternative solutions such as Amazon and eBay Pro Stores. We provide our employees with many perks and benefits that many other companies do not. In fact we have been voted "one of the best places to work in PA" several years running and been on the INC 500's fastest growing private companies in America list for the past several years also. Our ongoing committment to training and developing our Employees to help them succeed is second to none. Obviously we did not achieve these levels of success by mistreating our Clients or Employees. We believe that the way we treat our emloyees is a mirror of the way we treat our Clients and both are very well taken care of. Of course as such we expect our Employees to perform to the highest standards possible to achieve and sustain these levels of success. Difficult decisions sometimes have to be made and if an Employee does not live up to our standards and deliver excellence then they can not continue to work here. Sometimes those Employees express their lack of skills, knowledge and dedication as frustrating inaccurate comments about the companies shortcomings when in reality there is a valid and legitimate reason they do not work here anymore. Please look at the facts and the success of the company before judging what disgruntled Employees have to say. Solid Cactus - Proven Experience, Reliability, Innovative Products, World Class Service - Your total e-commerce solutions provider and partner in success. BTW, we're also one of the greatest places to work on the planet.

ConsDealing with Employees who are not committed to delivering excellence.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course you're doing a great job !!!!

The best place to work in Northeast PA, if not all of PA.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsIve worked for solid cactus for three years, and it is the best place to work in Northeastern Pennsylvania hands down. I see that someone here has complained that free coffee was taken away. Please get a life. Northeastern Pennsylvania is one of the most backwards places in th entire United States. I'm thrilled to work for a great company like Solid Cactus.

Solid Cactus treats their employees very well, and pays us very well for Northeast PA. The owners do they best that they can to make sure that we have a nice place to work. Whomever wrote the other review here has to be someone who quit or was let go because they didn't do their job well.

ConsNone. The team is wonderful. My co workers are phenominal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Solid Cactus is AWESOME

Happy Camper (Current Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsThe best reasons to work here is simple" the people, the atmosphere, the ethics and most importantly the owners.

Consthe only down side to working here is having to read about what disgruntled formers employees say. If they had any idea of what it is like to work in the 'corporate world' then they would know there is no such thing as 'free' anything for employees such as coffee or candy. As for the ice cream machine, there is not a day that goes by that no ice cream or milkshakes are bought. We love it!! And as for working and climbing the ladder that our beloved owners have accomplished , there is no reason why they do not go on long weekends whenever they see fit. Who is a former employee to complain about that - they are using their own hard earned money. I do feel better about venting - it is just that I have worked for more than half my life in the world and it bothers me when I see lazy, under achievers who have nothing better to do than waste company time and money to moan and groan about their own ineptitude. Grow up.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the great work and not listen to the comments that disgruntled co workers make.

It's not what you think.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Shavertown, PA

ProsThe company is well respected among its peers as being an industry leader in website development.

ConsPolicies change frequently, managers are sometimes unaware of the CEO's changes until they are implemented, leading to confusion and dissatisfaction all around.

Employees are encouraged to give feedback, as long as it's positive. There were two emails that I found exceptionally intereresting. One encouraged feedback and an open door policy, the next was cold, bitter and said that comments like one that had been received would surely have shown someone the door to find another job. Polar opposites.

It's all about appearance. The appearance of happy employees (and we were encouraged strongly to submit entries for Best Places to Work) is key, even though compensation levels do not match up to industry standards.

Free coffee was discontinued, and employees who balked were written up. Coffee is now available in the cafe that (at the time of this writing) did not have health department clearance, for 70 cents a cup.

Security cameras, ice cream machines and the owner's weekly vacations were more important in a "tight economy" than allowing people to keep their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a plan, stick to it.
    Pay people what they're worth.
    Hire someone to run the company- instead of the owner - who has no idea how to run a successful large scale business.

Flag Review
    Solid Cactus President responded to this review Oct 30, 2008 EditDelete
    Managers are aware of company policy changes before they happen. Managers have a weekly meeting with the VP Of Operations and the Executive team meets weekly go over notes from those meetings ... More

Worked for Solid Cactus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Solid Cactus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Solid Cactus CEO David L. Brown (web.com). All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Solid Cactus employees.