Solid Cactus Reviews

Updated March 26, 2014
Updated March 26, 2014

3.6

David L. Brown (web.com)

Solid Cactus a great place to start

Current Employee - Employee  in  Shavertown, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

Great, fun atmosphere, talented coworkers, opportunities for growth and learning of new skills, everyone gets along, lots of opportunities to improve your skills in e-commerce.

Cons

Heavy workloads, sometimes management out of touch with expectations

Communicate better with employees and departments when it comes to setting expectations.

Great place to work changing quickly

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Drums, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Drums, PA

I worked at Solid Cactus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great middle management, coworkers are awesome. Support and training is great and the Netsol folks are great

Cons

The"Director" of call center services is a joke. He has no compassion, is rude and arrogant to his staff and managers. He has no leadership skills or knowledge of how this place should run. He is loosing staff and soon customers due to his attitude and demeanor. He rules with bark and bite rather than understanding. His arrogance is opposite of what Web.com stands for anywhere else.

Replace your call center director or risk loss of talented people and customers

Fun company, co-workers are awesome, good team building events, contests, etc.

Current Employee - Paid Search Manager  in  Shavertown, PA
    Current Employee - Paid Search Manager in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well below average compensation and out of touch senior/vp management

Cons

With becoming a publicly traded company came the thick, sticky red tape.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a good company to use as a stepping stone for a career in technology.

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Shavertown, PA
    Former Employee - Programmer in Shavertown, PA

I worked at Solid Cactus full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are very friendly and very helpful. A lot of diversity in knowledge which helps you when you have questions.

Cons

Management is inconsistent at best. They are not pro-active with managing issues. Their reactive approach is anything to save face sometimes at the employees expense.

Went down hill when WEB.COM they bought Networksolutions

I worked at Solid Cactus full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ok place to start right out of college. No place to go from there

Cons

They over promise is and under deliver.
    Company does not give raise, only stock and bonus, they claim it is based on performance but it is not since overall compensation goes down every year.

New management team does not listen to employee concerns.

Company does not offer a good service to customer either. Not enough employees to do a proper job

Needs a union!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Shavertown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

Standard PTO
    Time off if your pet dies

Cons

No raises, ever
    No room for advancement
    Benefits are terrible
    Communication is unheard of

Management is too interested in giving themselves raises. What is wrong has been brought to them many times and has fallen on deaf ears. We are seeing our fellow employees walking right out the door and not looking back. How many more good people are going to follow?

Solid Cactus is one of the best places to work in Pennsylvania.

Former Employee - Manager of Technical Support  in  Shavertown, PA
    Former Employee - Manager of Technical Support in Shavertown, PA

I worked at Solid Cactus

Pros

Relax friendly atmosphere. Fun, challenging and satisfying work. Diversified employee population. Very innovative in the field, ahead of its competitors.

Cons

Long hours, small company, too local when it comes to working locations. Less than exemplary benefits for employees with families.

Keep it up, going in the right direction. Solid Cactus has the potential to mature into a fortune 500 company.

Solid Cactus - about as good as it gets in Northeastern PA

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  Shavertown, PA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Shavertown, PA

I worked at Solid Cactus

Pros

This is a great place to work for someone living in Northeastern Pennsylvania - where career opportunities are few and far between. They've created a great work environment, have a fantastic, cool, upbeat looking building, and a simply wonderful group of friends. Diverse staff of talented people including the rookies right out of school right up to the seasoned veterans. Good place to learn the e-commerce business. They do a great job of finding people who work well together and get along. They've got a few perks that set them apart from other employers in the region, such as the cafe, and free parking. Joe and Scott are very nice people, personally I like the both of them, and respect them very much. I do believe they want everyone to be happy and succeed. You will be recognized for your work, and if you are an honest worker with even a slightly positive attitude you'll do ok here.

Cons

It's very hard to come up with one "downside" blanket comment that describes the whole company. This is because there are so many different departments and job titles at Solid Cactus. While one department may be running like a well-oiled machine and everyone is happy, another department may be quite different. That comes with a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment like Solid Cactus. The economy is really struggling right now, and companies are scratching and clawing to stay alive at all cost. Solid Cactus is not immune to these dire economic conditions, so some decisions that need to be made (or have been) will not be positive. Some mistakes have been made in the way the company has made these decisions.

Overall, some things to point out:

While the building itself is awesome, the desks/workspaces are like a veal farm. Very tight, small and cramped. With the investments in all other areas of the facility this concern was overlooked.

The perception that the more hours you sit at your desk the better employee you are and the more work you are doing. This is outdated corporate philosphy of the 1980's that does not work in today's world, especially for a modern forward-thinking company looking to be a unique leader in the future.

If you stay in the Wilkes-Barre area this is about as good as it gets. It's a great salary for most folks living there, especially the 21 year old living with mom and dad. But it's not the place to expect to support a family, own a home and really thrive and build on your personal assets. You'll probably need a second job or move out of the area if you want to provide truly for your family. Increase in salary would help, if that's even possible right now.

Employees are in fear of speaking up. Several co-workers told me some great ideas, but said they'd be fired if they ever mentioned anything to management because it would be viewed as negativity.

Don't take a position as an E-commerce consultant or account mananger. This is the worst, and most demanding and un-rewarding position at the company. Unless you like being kicked in the head repeatedly seven days a week.

The threats of "write-ups." What is this, grade school? Another outdated practice not in line with a company that is looking to the future. If someone screws up, or violates policy simply fire them. Write-ups don't do anything but create negative attitudes with staff.

With young employees sometimes come childish behaviors and attitudes. The main reason for so many of the policies and watchdog big-brother tactics enforced at SC are because some of the younger employees can't be trusted to behave. That ruins it for everyone. Some of these rookies don't know how good they have it... let them go work for a total psycho like I have and Solid Cactus will look like paradise.

There's not a good work/personal life balance. You feel guilty if you have to leave at 5 or need a day off for personal or family reasons.

Don't sugarcoat. If something sucks, say it sucks. Most people just want to get it straight, even if it comes with some unpleasent words. Reality is not a negative attitude.

I realize these are some things that Management may not want to hear, but this is only my personal view, and I don't mean to provide anything but some constructive input. I do think it's a great place to work still and am proud I was part of it. I wish SC nothing but the best. Treat the employees with honesty, pay your talent well, and always remember that you have a responsibility to all these people to do your best for them, and they will do thier best for you.

Good enough place to work

Former Employee - Laid Off Employee  in  Wilkes Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Laid Off Employee in Wilkes Barre, PA

I worked at Solid Cactus

Pros

I worked in the call center so my experience may be different than those at the technology center:

One of the things I enjoyed about Cactus was the closeness of team members. Everyone was very open and you could always count on having a smiling face to say hello to. Also, I always felt respected by my immediate supervisor.

Working with so many clients who sold a variety of products was good because all of them were different in how they wanted calls handled as well. This will definitely prepare me for working with several personalities in the future.

Cons

One of the biggest things I did not like about the call center was the lack of an appropriate break. Two fifteen minute breaks did not feel like long enough in the day. Plus your other not ready time was watched almost TOO closely. I felt micro managed at times. Not a way to run any company.

Less micromanagement

SOLID CACTUS LEADS THE WAY!

Current Employee - Business Office  in  Shavertown, PA
    Current Employee - Business Office in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

The overall job experience working for Solid Cactus for over the past four years has been a very tremendous learning experience. Having been with the company when there were less then thirty employees and now with over 100 says alot about this company.

Cons

There are no downsides to working at Solid Cactus.

The Executive Team that was established at Solid Cactus over the past 1.5 years has shown that it can take Solid Cactus to the next level.

Worked for Solid Cactus? Contribute to the Community!