Solid Cactus Reviews

Updated March 26, 2014
Updated March 26, 2014

3.6

David L. Brown (web.com)

Solid Cactus - 11th Best Places To Work in PA - Trying to Survive in a Bad Economy

Current Employee - Management  in  Shavertown, PA
    Current Employee - Management in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

Solid Cactus is definitely the best place I've ever worked.

There are excellent opportunities for advancement and an open-door policy with management all the way up to the President.

Those coming to management with issues or problems with the company are charged with coming up with ideas to solve the problem encouraging employees to have even more extensive input into the operations process.

The company is also a fun environment where it is not uncommon to see impromptu nerf gun foam dart wars in programming or impromptu frisbee games in Marketing. Management understands that all work and no fun is unhealthy and causes high levels of stress.

The company has recently (within the last few weeks) undergone a total restructuring to improve efficiency.

During the recent economic downturn, regular messages are sent out from the owners about the financial position of the company, just so employees are kept informed. The Profit/Loss reports are available for any employee to view in order to solicit suggestions for increasing revenue and cutting unnecessary expenses.

Cons

If you're looking for an easy job where you come in 9 to 5 every day -- Solid Cactus is not for you.
    If you can't survive in an atmosphere of rapid change, you're not going to last long here.
    If you must question and challenge every decision that is made that you personally do not agree with, without researched justification of your objection - you'll need to change that. We don't tolerate complainers.

Employees are expected to adapt to change rapidly. Management should offer a workshop on working in that type of environment.

I Love Solid Cactus

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

Feedback from employees is considered. Laid-back working atmosphere. Employees are personally known by name. I have never worked for a company that goes out of its way for employees the way Solid Cactus does. Every company has its pros and cons, but Solid Cactus certainly has a lot of significant advantages as an employer.

Cons

Like many places, healthcare costs continue to rise.

Stay connected to your employees. Stay true to the mission that makes Solid Cactus a great place to work!

"treat others the way you would want to be treated"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Shavertown, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

This is a VERY professional environment with the most knowledgeable employees for the positions held. Solid Cactus only recruites the most qualified people for the positions held. If a stranger came in off the street, they wouldn't be able to distingish between the owners of Solid Cactus or the actual employees. We all work together (as a family) for the good of our customers and in turn, making the company a better environment for all those who choose to be employed at Solid Cactus.

Cons

I am sure, some people may not be use to being employed by such a dynamic company. Solid Cactus demands their employees be knowledgable and to treat other's the way they would want to be treated. I guess that some people aren't cut out to being treated fairly and that would definitely make it difficult to work for such a company. Solid Cactus is a GREAT place to work... "SHAME ON YOU", Solid Cactus owners for being fair to your employees and honest to a fault.

Keep your "open door" policy. Give options in order for staff to bring family members in to see our building, our offices and meet our co-workers, as well as, our senior management. Hey, we need an "OPEN HOUSE", some of us can't help but be proud of where we work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reasons why SOLID CACTUS is one of the BEST PLACES TO WORK IN PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

There is a reason why Solid Cactus was ranked 11th Best Place to Work in PA in 2007, ranked in the Top 50 in 2006, and again in 2008. The owners really care about the employees. When looking for a new building due to the recent growth of the company, it was the owners that took a stand for the employee and said we do not want employees to incur the cost of parking. That was their basis for looking for a new place to work. It wasn't that the employees also would be offered amenities like the gym, cafe on premises, reduced prices on cafe items for the employees let alone a monthly employee allowance at the cafe, breakrooms on every floor, courtyard with picnic tables and a hammock, dual monitors on every desk that makes an employee even more productive, flexible schedule, days off when requested, ability to work from home in bad weather conditions if position allows for it, a very casual work environment meaning able to wear jeans to work, and the list goes on and on. Other amenities include top notch phone system, music system heard through the entire buidling, good management structure you normally would not find of companies of this size, open door policy to the owners, and meeting with the owner on every Thursday afternoon if you have an idea or suggestion to make Solid Cactus a better place to work. Solid Cactus is top notch and does nothing but the best for the employees. The fact remains after listing all those ammenities an employee has at Solid Cactus, the owners primary concern when we moved was the employee and where the employees would park.

Thanks Joe and Scott for everything you have done for us. It is appreciated by the employees.

Cons

There really is not a downside to working here. I've worked for several companies in the Wilkes-Barre area and this is the best of the best. .

They are doing a great job in bad economic times.

Solid Cactus a Creative, Vibrant, Forward-Thinking, Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Shavertown, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

I've been at Solid Cactus going on two years as of this writing. I can't see myself working anywhere else. In an area like Northeast Pennsylvania where good jobs are slim, and creative/technology jobs are even slimmer, Solid Cactus is a gem of an employer. For my geographical location, I make a good living. Do technology jobs in San Francisco and New York City pay more? I'm sure of it. But I live here in Northeast PA and live comfortably.

The atmosphere at Solid Cactus is pretty much amazing. We work in a remodeled former school building. The work areas are bright, vibrant and spacious. We have a gymnasium for ping pong and basketball and an on-site, employee subsidized cafe serving everything from homemade pizza, to hot meals and subs and salads... snacks, ice cream and frozen drinks too. Since the cafe opened, I actually find I am more production because I never leave the premises for lunch. All employees get an monthly allowance to use at the cafe, too. We have satellite radio pumping through the building which set a good mood. We have a laid back dress code- I love wearing jeans to work. I've never been a dress-up kind of girl! We have catered quarterly meetings where we are apprised of what's happening in each department and what's on the roadmap. For more daily communication between staff and with our clients, we have forums, department blogs and a monthly magazine.

I have never worked in an environment that thrived on such creativity, where my ideas mattered. Employee ideas are encourage and often implemented. That says a lot to me. What employees do well is recognized. We have an employee of the month program, and additionally, if a client emails management with a compliment about an employee, it gets forwarded company-wide. Getting a glowing review for a job well-done from a client is a great feeling-- but getting those words shared with the whole company is even better!

Solid Cactus does some great things for the clients and community as well. We publish a bi-monthly e-commerce magazine and host semi-annual e-commerce boot camps, both of which all staff are encouraged to write/present to share their own expertise and knowledge. Staff in general at Solid Cactus are encouraged to be involved. For the community, we've implemented a Cactus Cares Fund. Employees can choose to have a donation withheld from their paycheck each week to go into the fund. Contributors once per quarter nominate a non-profit and then the staff votes and money is awarded at the quarterly staff meetings. We've donated thousands of dollars to some really great organizations. We've adopted the road our company is located on and are doing our first clean-up soon. The list continues.

Solid Cactus attracts a certain kind of employee, so most of the staff here gets a long very well. I love coming in to work each day. When I've traveled for the company, I missed being here. Outside of working hours, I have become great friends with my coworkers here and have in general gained a tremendous amount of respect for so many people here, superiors and peers alike. A few of us even created a Solid Cactus book club, where we read the same book and meet to discuss.

Like any growing company, things change with growth. For example, some of the perks we enjoyed when we were just a few dozen people, such as free breakfast and candy, are no longer. It is the case at most growing companies, its commonplace for things to constantly evolve- choices usually made for the better of the company, for the sustainability of the company. The one great thing about the company growing is that there is plenty of room for advancement. I've seen many of my colleagues go from worker bee to being in charge of a department-- maybe even a newly created department. It's certainly an exciting time for e-commerce and an exciting time for Solid Cactus.

I often work at home after work, come in on weekends and work late-- and I am not alone. I only called off one day during almost two years. My last sentence alone should be all anyone needs to hear to know how much I love working for Solid Cactus.

Cons

After everything I said above, I really don't know what I would say for a downside.

I pretty much said it all above.

Solid Cactus - Standing Together

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

Solid Cactus has proven time and again that they are here for their employees. There is an open door policy with regards to management. I always feel free to share ideas and opinions and while they may not always be implemented they are listened to and thought about. Everyone supports each other and the employees are always accepting of one another's success. There are emails that are sent company wide from one employee praising another with a "Great job" or "I couldn't have done this without you."

Cons

While I agree that we work long hours, it's recognized. The higher ups see who puts in the extra 10% to get a job done well.

I don't have any advice or feedback. I trust them to make decisions that are good for the company and the employees.

Worked for Solid Cactus? Contribute to the Community!