SolidWorks

SolidWorks CEO Bertrand Sicot
Bertrand Sicot

Software Engineer

I worked at SolidWorks

Pros

Working with highly talent people, a wonderful place to learn and improve your CAD/CAGD knowledge/skills. Good benefits. Very stable company.

Cons

Compensation is not good enough. It's not easy to move out of CAD industry. Turn over rate is very low.

Stable. Strong product. Changing culture...but that isn't always bad.

I have been working at SolidWorks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I started at DSSW when it was still just SW...and truth be told, it was a VERY different world. But so was the world outside of Baker Ave in Concord, MA. It was a small company feel. Dynamic, high energy, full off potential. One of the greatest things at that time was the ability to move forward. To work with an executive team that was engaging, transparent (or at least did a really great job of attempting to be), and that we all believed in. But this isn't about how things were almost two decades ago. This is about now. And now things are different...but that isn't always bad. Companies grow, and as they grow there is more need for structure and process. Agility suffers while market share climbs. It's easy to view that perceived stifling of "culture" as regression, but ironically...that's progress. The company is sound. The parent company (Dassault Systemes) is stable and managed by a visionary leader who has very real plans that bring us well into the future. Benefits packages are very good. 401K, vacation, compensation...all very competitive. If you can get in, you will be in a place that you can stay a very long time...if you want to.

Cons

A lot of the info in the "Pros" also applies down here. Change is difficult; so much of the heartache that was felt was by many of the "old guard". At least that's what we thought. Transition has increased. The seat of power has shifted and it has become very difficult to effect change outside of the corporate offices in Velizy. I will say it is better than it has been in years past, and I presume that it will continue to improve. But ultimately the teams outside of the main campus will continue to be a "satellite office"...of nearly 2000 people with years of business and industry experience. The red tape is thick at times, and progress seems aimless on occasion (despite the fact that our corporate business plans are out as far as the point when cars will hover and fly). Decisions are made top down only, and that can lead to a feeling of uselessness.

Look at your ranks. You have good people leading teams at upper and middle management. Strong minds are there to help drive improvements. Be cautious of the unwritten mantra of building internal and customer facing business tools on internal technologies. DS has grown through partnership and acquisition...and it will continue to do so...don't count out that what we want to do hasn't already been done. Let's identify where cases are that we can learn from someone who has already traveled that road. That is both internally looking (employees) and externally (vendors of developed best practice applications). Also, one last note of consideration...vision is great. Having an image of where we will be in 20 years gives us confidence that we will exist then, but we also need the ability to define and drive in much smaller windows. Daily operations are much more specific...and that is another case where your managers can help.

Pretty Good

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SolidWorks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work life balance is ok
    The benefits are good but getting a bit expensive
    Great people to work with

Cons

compensation low
    every "promotion" is lateral
    very small increases
    nepotism

Check out the morale here and then see if you think this is a great place to work. Most of the things that were used to boost morale such as small outings have been taken away due to budgetary cuts, but then we find out we are doing well and meeting goals. It's frustrating.

Overall a great product to work on that's got plenty of life left in it and customers who love us.

I have been working at SolidWorks (more than 10 years)

Pros

Its stable and there are still interesting products to work on that remain competitive and in demand.

Cons

Internal competition confuses what used to be a really clear strategy. The strategy keeps changing too. Fortunately, bottoms up decision making keeps this product thriving.

Find niche markets for new products that don't overlap current products to minimise a potentially confusing strategy

Bell curve, UPs and then DOWNs

Current Employee - Territory Technical Manager - Analysis Products in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SolidWorks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with; the perks; brand recognition and types of work one gets involved

Cons

culture change, more work not balanced with compensation

Great people. Plenty of opportunities to advance or reinvent your career and challenge yourself.

Current Employee - Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SolidWorks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding group of people. Time for people stuck in the past who refuse to grow up and evolve to leave and let new people who are excited about the opportunity to contribute and step in

Cons

No different than any other 3+ billion dollar company challenges. People who stayed too long and want the company and the industry to stay the same when Windows was just introduced. Sigh - exhausting.

Continue to focus on the people who want to grow and evolve.

Used to be the best pace to work - turned into just another big company

I worked at SolidWorks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are some of the best I have ever worked with

Cons

Executive DS management isn't in touch with the most up to date technology

Slowly dying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SolidWorks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The SolidWorks management is great. These people truly care about the business, the employees and the customers.

Cons

Dassault Systemes has decided to truly assimilate SolidWorks over that few years, and has killed much of the corporate culture. The top level execs in Paris don't understand the customers or the business, and are trying to cram a one size fits all approach onto a business that operates much differently than the high end segment they are used to dealing with. Working conditions in the open office Waltham campus are terrible. It's impossible to focus on your work with the constant distractions.

Put more SolidWorks people in top positions. The company would be better for it.

Proceed with caution

I worked at SolidWorks

Pros

People you work with are great

Cons

Top level management micro manages

Stayed too long

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, MA

I worked at SolidWorks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Modern office environment. Great cafeteria and free fitness facility.
    * CAD software is visual and exciting to work with.
    * Many smart colleagues to interact with.
    * Great about allowing employees to change jobs or careers. Many success stories of people doing that.

Cons

* Culture shifted dramatically in last few years. Founders left. Dassault Systemes started incessantly pushing their influence into every aspect of work life.
    * Move to Waltham, MA was a dreadful decision.

5 years ago, I would have told them to keep Dassault Systemes away. Just let SolidWorks make money and be happy. These days, it's too late as DS has infiltrated the culture and stifled innovation.