Solo Cup Reviews

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014

Solo Cup President, CEO, and Director Robert M. Korzenski
Robert M. Korzenski

Pros
  • Good benefits(although theyare dwindling) (in 8 reviews)

• good people work there, that is the best reason (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is the dirty diaper (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management is all over the place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time for more than a year

Pros

People were friendly and knowledgeable. Systems were current and processes and procedures well documented.

Cons

Solo was bought out in 2012. Became a very different place to work.

Good pay if permanent

I worked at Solo Cup

Pros

Co-workers, Breaks, Fresh cold water/ice on the floor

Cons

No growth, No growth, No growth, Need better atmosphere, No growth

Consider the workers more and opportunity for advancement

interesting and enjoyable

Former Employee - Machine Operator  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Solo Cup full-time for more than a year

Pros

liked working here for the 12 hour shifts and set schedule with 4 on and three off
    where I could take a calendar and know for the whole year what days I had off.

Cons

Just a slight con about the schedule to where I didn't have the same days off witch makes it harder in cohabitation

Advice is to not get lost in the upper levels of management and stay in touch with the workers who carry the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company gone bad!

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some great people until company bought out. Hard working intelligent people that fortunately have gotten out of there and have found a place that better leverages their skills.

Cons

The New leadership has reduced the talent to order takers! They have taken the Solo brand and reduced it to nothing and there are no more raises and likely no bonuses.

Not much to say other than be open to the talent from Solo... Some of your dinosaurs at Dart don't hold a candle to them but instead you promote the dinosaurs and demote the stars! Way to go!

Solo Cup offered me some great experience in my field.

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst

I worked at Solo Cup full-time

Pros

Their health insurance was awesome. The best I have seen yet. Decent vacation time, holidays, etc. I also enjoyed my co-workers since they brought joy to my work days. Salary was competitive but please note that is for Solo Cup and not for Dart. If you want a fair salary now that Dart is the owner, then you have a better chance at waiting for pigs to fly.

Cons

My work environment towards the end reminded me of a black hole of negativity from which there was no escape. Very negative morale and it got to the point where most of the people in my department no longer cared about the work we did. Executive management would either micromanage or pretend to know how to manage. Also, they only viewed your performance based on how many hours you put in each day. If you work an 8-hr work day then you aren't putting in enough effort. If you take a 2-hr lunch everyday and then stay until 6pm, you are considered a dedicated employee. My manager (not executive level) taught me a lot and I do credit him for where I am in my career now.

To executive management: be more involved in what your employees do so that when you change policies/procedures, you do so knowing all the facts. The managers who report to you know more about whats really going on. A wise leader understands the value of counsel.

My first 4 years was great there until they brought in so many different managers. I worked for Solo Cup for over 5 yrs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the reasons I took the position with Solo was all the managers at the time was awesome. They had great attitudes and was great in giving you directions. I was hired in when they took over sweetheart and about a year or so into the company managers after managers was leaving like running water.

Cons

The challenges of working for Solo Cup was the fact of the under handed employees. If they could convince the manager to not like you, then there was major trouble ahead. They never took the time or energy to really get to know there employees for themselves. There was some really good and dedicated workers at Solo Cup, but once they brought in new management attitudes started to change and more people stated to leaving and it seemed like the harder you worked they didn't care. But if you was one of the pets and worked less you got praised and a really nice raise.

my advice to management is to get too know your employees for yourself and not by word of mouth. Reason being is the person the are bad mouthing good be one or more of your best workers ever. Yes, I do understand that there might come a time that an employee and a manager might bump heads. In that case if they are going to start harassing the employee and making things hard for them. You should take a look at the entire situation of employee and managers. You all at like the word of the people coming to yoy is always true and it's not. You know managers and some employees lie for just to here themselves talk and to make themselves look good. Some of them can lie so while and with a straight face it sicking. And Human Resources are just as bad should you complain about anything and at that point the situation get worse, because now upper management has got involve and the ones that lied come out looking like roses and the ones telling the truth coming stained, discredited, and black ball. That ia so sad that management of any level would just turn a blind eye and not care.

Great people, weak Senior leadership

Former Employee - National Accounts  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Accounts in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Solo Cup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Products, people, autonomy, great industry product reputation and brand equity

Cons

Senior Leadership, lack of mission, AOP, strategy

Don't change strategy every three months

Great place to work

I worked at Solo Cup full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits with plenty of opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Fast paced environment with a lot of chaos.

Solo was a good company until it was bought by Dart

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None since the Solo headquarters in Lake Forest are slowly getting shut down and most of the work moved to Dart in Michigan.

Cons

Dart replacing Solo's better processes with the mediocre way Dart has always done things in spite of proof the combined organization would benefit from implementing the Solo process corporation wide.

Wake up. The world of disposable packaging outside foam cups is completely different than you think.

My home away from home - Look forward to work challenges each and every day!

Former Employee - Plant Engineering Manager  in  Urbana, IL
    Former Employee - Plant Engineering Manager in Urbana, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The original Solo Cup was a family owned business, which at one time I thought of leaving. But a Corporate Division Manager took me aside and told me that the "Family" took care of their long term employees. He voiced that I would be better off staying with the company. I heeded his advice and stayed for 36 years. During that time period the company helped 4 of my children graduate from college, and during their college years gave them a chance to work in the plant to earn money for school.

Cons

When Solo bought and merged Sweetheart Cup company into the fold something changed in the Corporate attitude. Upper Management decided that the Solo Cup Manageress, (who had made the company profitable) were the ones who should be terminated, and the Sweetheart Managers (from a financially strapped company) should be put in charge. Most of these same people are still working for Dart.

I hope that Dart Corporation does not follow the present way of thinking. They should take care of their long term employees, and get rid of the dead wood.

Thank you for letting me express my opinion. I gave 36 years of my life to the firm and one day my manager said I was not meeting his expectations.

Solo Cup Photos

nice place to work
they put there name behine it

+ Add Photo

Worked for Solo Cup? Contribute to the Community!