Solo Cup Reviews

Reset

1. It has been ok

Current Employee - Material Handling in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Material Handling in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

That you can work any shift you want.and if you come to work you will have a chance to advance

Cons

That you have people in charge that do not know what they are doing

Advice to Management

We need a better training program

2. Terrible

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Decent pay not too hard of a job

Cons

Barely any chance of advancement. Modern day slavery

3. Was a great place to work.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were friendly and knowledgeable. Systems were current and processes and procedures well documented.

Cons

Solo was bought out in 2012. Became a very different place to work.

5. Would not work there again

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros, nothing good to say

Cons

Working conditions stink everything bad about this company

6. Good pay if permanent

Pros

Co-workers, Breaks, Fresh cold water/ice on the floor

Cons

No growth, No growth, No growth, Need better atmosphere, No growth

Advice to Management

Consider the workers more and opportunity for advancement

7. interesting and enjoyable

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than a year)

Pros

liked working here for the 12 hour shifts and set schedule with 4 on and three off where I could take a calendar and know for the whole year what days I had off.

Cons

Just a slight con about the schedule to where I didn't have the same days off witch makes it harder in cohabitation

Advice to Management

Advice is to not get lost in the upper levels of management and stay in touch with the workers who carry the company

8. Solo Cup offered me some great experience in my field.

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst

I worked at Solo Cup full-time

Pros

Their health insurance was awesome. The best I have seen yet. Decent vacation time, holidays, etc. I also enjoyed my co-workers since they brought joy to my work days. Salary was competitive but please note that is for Solo Cup and not for Dart. If you want a fair salary now that Dart is the owner, then you have a better chance at waiting for pigs to fly.

Cons

My work environment towards the end reminded me of a black hole of negativity from which there was no escape. Very negative morale and it got to the point where most of the people in my department no longer cared about the work we did. Executive management would either micromanage or pretend to know how to manage. Also, they only viewed your performance based on how many hours you put in each day. If you work an 8-hr work day then you aren't putting in enough effort. If you take a 2-hr lunch everyday and then stay until 6pm, you are considered a dedicated employee. My manager (not executive level) taught me a lot and I do credit him for where I am in my career now.

Advice to Management

To executive management: be more involved in what your employees do so that when you change policies/procedures, you do so knowing all the facts. The managers who report to you know more about whats really going on. A wise leader understands the value of counsel.

9. My first 4 years was great there until they brought in so many different managers. I worked for Solo Cup for over 5 yrs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the reasons I took the position with Solo was all the managers at the time was awesome. They had great attitudes and was great in giving you directions. I was hired in when they took over sweetheart and about a year or so into the company managers after managers was leaving like running water.

Cons

The challenges of working for Solo Cup was the fact of the under handed employees. If they could convince the manager to not like you, then there was major trouble ahead. They never took the time or energy to really get to know there employees for themselves. There was some really good and dedicated workers at Solo Cup, but once they brought in new management attitudes started to change and more people stated to leaving and it seemed like the harder you worked they didn't care. But if you was one of the pets and worked less you got praised and a really nice raise.

Advice to Management

my advice to management is to get too know your employees for yourself and not by word of mouth. Reason being is the person the are bad mouthing good be one or more of your best workers ever. Yes, I do understand that there might come a time that an employee and a manager might bump heads. In that case if they are going to start harassing the employee and making things hard for them. You should take a look at the entire situation of employee and managers. You all at like the word of the people coming to yoy is always true and it's not. You know managers and some employees lie for just to here themselves talk and to make themselves look good. Some of them can lie so while and with a straight face it sicking. And Human Resources are just as bad should you complain about anything and at that point the situation get worse, because now upper management has got involve and the ones that lied come out looking like roses and the ones telling the truth coming stained, discredited, and black ball. That ia so sad that management of any level would just turn a blind eye and not care.

10. Great people, weak Senior leadership

Former Employee - National Accounts in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - National Accounts in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Products, people, autonomy, great industry product reputation and brand equity

Cons

Senior Leadership, lack of mission, AOP, strategy

Advice to Management

Don't change strategy every three months

11. Solo was a good company until it was bought by Dart

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None since the Solo headquarters in Lake Forest are slowly getting shut down and most of the work moved to Dart in Michigan.

Cons

Dart replacing Solo's better processes with the mediocre way Dart has always done things in spite of proof the combined organization would benefit from implementing the Solo process corporation wide.

Advice to Management

Wake up. The world of disposable packaging outside foam cups is completely different than you think.

RSS Feed </> Embed