Solo Cup Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
2.8

Solo Cup President, CEO, and Director Robert M. Korzenski
Robert M. Korzenski

Pros
  • Good benefits(although theyare dwindling) (in 8 reviews)

• good people work there, that is the best reason (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is the dirty diaper (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management is all over the place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company now Mediocre

Current Employee - White-Collar Professional in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - White-Collar Professional in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, affordable benefits, excellent location easily reachable via interstate or train, tried to keep as many people on as possible during the economic meltdown, 10 paid holidays per year, 38.5 hour work week but paid for 40.

Cons

Front-line management. No praise when you do a good job, but when you make a mistake, there is hell to pay. Micromanagement, no chance to think on your own. The place is awash in favoritism. If you don't go to lunch or out for cocktails with the "right" people, you will not get ahead, no matter how smart you are or how many academic degrees you have.

Empower employess to make operational decisions on a day-to-day basis to run the business, cut back on managers. Promote the people who are truly the most talented, not the ones who are your Facebook friends.

Pay attention Dart...Solo's peole are still very unhappy

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits (for now)
    Paid holidays (for now)

Cons

Solo Cup is like a baby...Upper management is the dirty diaper...if Dart doesn't dispose of that diaper, the baby will continue to smell bad & no one will want to stay & play with the baby. Nothing is going to change as long as the "powers that be" (and I use that term loosely) keep making crappy decisions that make no sense at all.
    Poor maintenance, 24/7 plant, but no 24/7 maintenance. And what "maintenance" we do have stinks as well. Machines down for long periods of time because cannot get ahold of any maintenance (that are on call) to come in.
    Again with upper management, poor attitudes, only care for themselves. Very closed minded. Will not listen to any ideas that are presented to them. Will not even listen to another person's point of view. And you might as well look for another job if you disagree with one of their ideas. If it is something that they think is good, it's not even open for discussion...the employees are doing it. Their response? "Well if they don't like it, they can leave!" And heaven help you if you have a life outside of work. Again, if it's something they want, "Well, you'd just better plan on changing your homelife because we're doing this?" "HOW DARE YOU HAVE A LIFE!" But they can leave in the middle of the afternoon and be gone for the rest of the day. Dart needs to (secretly) have some of their reps show up at these plants at 4:00 pm on a Friday & see how many of their upper management is still in their offices. Hell, even show up at 3:30pm!

Dart needs to have an open & honest talk with all the employees. Find out their concerns & frustrations. NOT THE MANAGEMENT! If the employees are reassured that their jobs are not in jeopardy, they will open up & tell the truth about what really goes on in the plants. All management will do is put their little spin on it & then go about treating the employees as bad as before. Let the employees speak for themselves, not the management.

I enjoyed the time that I worked at Solo, even though they were going through a reorganization at the time.

Former Employee - Credit and Dispute Resolution in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Credit and Dispute Resolution in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solo Cup offered a more than competitive salary. The first three months that I was there were rather hectic, but enjoyable, as they were trying to do an internal reorganization. When that didn't work, they brought in outside help, and everything changed...

Cons

During the "reorganization", management was poor at best. The actual Credit Manager was not allowed to do her job, and was eventually replaced by an outside person, trained in reorganizations - not good for morale, or workflow.

Listen to the "little guy" - sometimes they have much more insight than management does.

The company made a bad acquisition and after that it was all downhill.

Former Employee - Logistics in Highland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a culture of giving back to the community with all the volunteer work they participate in.
    The work was well defined and you knew who you were reporting to.
    I was on the track to getting a promotion after two years of working there.

Cons

They took away all 401 k match and reduced the amount they paid you from 40 hours a week to 38 even though you still worked the same.
    They closed about 4 locations in the two years I worked there.
    I interviewed and was given another job in another location when my plant closed, and then it was taken away two months later.

Make sounder business plans so that you don't purchase another company with huge debt.

Tough transition through economy and ownership dynamics

Former Employee - Market Manager in Highland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Solo Cup full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good people
    Opportunities to get cross-functional exposure
    Interesting industry
    Great to work in or near Chicago

Cons

Tough transition through economic downturn
    Change from family-owned and managed, to investor owned and managed decreased associate satisfaction levels
    Competition in the industry

Improve strategic thinking- although Dart purchase of company renders advice moot.
    Do not forget your past- long live the Red Solo Cup

Leading by example

I have been working at Solo Cup full-time

Pros

Hardworking, friendly hourly workers. Some talented management. DART has taken over and will certainly shake things up which will no doubt force some old thinking out the door.

Cons

Talented management is stifled by peer managers and are not willing to stick their neck out for something they believe in. The bar is set very low and is often not reached. management does not empower their supervisors or hourlys to contribute to improvement. It all starts at the top and the top doesnt expect very much

Expect more out of yourself and your subordinates. Roll with the punches because without change you are already being out produced by Asia and other producers int he US.

long term job

I have been working at Solo Cup

Pros

steady job ok pay two weeks vaction in first year 9 payed holidays a year. insurance is ok I pay less then a lot of others.

Cons

the company just got bought by dart container do know what will happen. lean manufacturing is the companys way to do things

vestar bk solocup shouldn't of bought sweetheart lost all your money and the company your father make robert H is a

The other people on the floor is the only thing that makes working at Solo tolerable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ada, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ada, OK

I have been working at Solo Cup

Pros

good people work there, that is the best reason. I have made many friends there. short commute. The benefits are decent.

Cons

Management. nobody ever tells you when you do a good job but when you make a mistake, everybody is there getting mad at you. work environment sucks. no morale. too much favortism. Its just not a good place to work.

Treat everyone fairly and have some common decency. You gotta give respect to get it. If I do something wrong, come tell me, dont send someone else to tell me.

A terrible company to work for with no direction or competence at the top.

I have been working at Solo Cup

Pros

Some people are friendly and benefits are good.

Cons

Lack of leadership and vision. No opportunity for growth and long term existence is doubtful.

Earn your pay and build th business rather than closing plants and laying off people.

Where Will 2012 Take Us?

I have been working at Solo Cup

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Location, New Building, Flex Hours

Cons

Unfair Promotion Practices, Lack of Respect Among Ranks

Solo Cup Photos

nice place to work
they put there name behine it

+ Add Photo