Solutia

Mark J. Costa

Great company, good people, good benefits, bought by Eastman Chemical

Current Employee - Manager Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Solutia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is dress down, informal and overall very relaxed atmosphere. People are very easy to get along with and generally opprotunities are given if people are motivated or seek them.

Cons

Since company was purchased, employees maybe moving to Kingsport or required to move for current job. Eastman is much larger than Solutia, could be a good thing if willing to relocate.

Keep skill and jobs here, please do not close St. Louis office.

Solutia was a great company before the buy-out by Eastman.

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Set my own work hours, flexible working conditions, employee oriented (before Eastman), great location, in my home state.

Cons

Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman

Was not interested

Pretty good place to work.

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Management is pretty down to earth most of the time. There were plenty of challenges and the day to day job was interesting. Work and life balance could be kept in check with a bit of effort.

Cons

Given the nature of the cyclical business you always had to be worried about layoffs. Not a lot of opportunities to move up the ladder - people have been there a long time.

Sent my job to China

Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA
    Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sense of family among employees of 10+ years

Cons

Obsessed with rules and regulations to the point of not accomplishing much work. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. They bought the company I worked for and everything was fine for the first several years, not many changes. The chief complaint during 1999-2008 was the sense that my department was frequently chosen to test out the latest management's "social experiment". We went through 5S, "Pay for skills", "OFT concept (open room), ISO, and many other petty/piddly regulations that were basically a drag on our time and made getting the job done very stressful. I used to wonder sometimes if I was there to handle customers or to fill out spreadsheets for management to track what was going on. In 2009 the system was switched to SAP, then like clockwork - six months later the entire customer service operation was farmed out to St. Louis & various Int'l. Centers. We were given the option to move there with an allowance of just 5000 or take a severance package. We had to sign an agreement not to work in the same field for two years if we chose the severance. I had to train my own replacement that was sent to visit from Shanghai. Very awkward. No input from management on the training either. It was basically "Hi, I am here from China to spend five days learning your job, by the way can you give me a ride to my hotel and pick me up too?". Needless to say, I found it a very unpleasant place to work during the last couple of years leading into 2010. At the end, not much good came out of it other than the paycheck.

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Lots of people were impacted by a very poor decision to move jobs away from a small community.

"Continues to regress"

I worked at Solutia full-time

Pros

Was a very good place to work and I was fortunate to advance into several different roles throughout my career and learned quite a bit. Very safety conscious company. A lot of good people work there.

Cons

Upper management at the plant level. Several of the site leadership team members were less than professional. Only listened to certain people. They do things in a very sneaky and unprofessional manner which makes for a very poor working environment. Did not practice what they preached in regards to values.

Practice what you preach especially when it comes to values. People don't work for companies they work for managers. You should think about that as you continue to see people exit the company. It is the HR and plant management at the site level that has made the company one that people want to leave.

Company was bought out

Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

constant change, travel, opportunity for the right person

Cons

company was bought out, a lot of uncertainty, Executive staff has all been turned over with in the last 2 years.

create core beliefs and values systems and then implement them

Solid

Former Employee - Business Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation, good smart people working there.

Cons

Got sold to Eastman - a lot of good people lost their job

Was a good company

Current Employee - Fiinance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Fiinance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Solutia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation, summer hours, people, location

Cons

management are cut throat, too many secrets, no cross training, no room for advancement

Start listening to employees

Interesting company with opportunity

Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

global roles (have been posted in different parts of the US; was eligible for global assignment)
    challenging project work (because the company is relatively lean, it makes the employees wear multiple hats nd do different roles at the same time, opportunity to build your resume is good in the short term
    friendly co-workers (folks are supportive and want to make sure that everyone works together cohesively as a team and share responsibilities)

Cons

strategic confusion (too many changes in vision and strategy resulting in confusion down the line)
    bankruptcy baggage (having gone thru a painful chapter 11 filing, the credibility of upper management is low)
    bonus uncertainty (while salaries are around median for the industry, there is always uncertainty abut the extent of bonus and whether it will improve year-over-year)

have clarity and consisitency of vision
    communicate more with employees at all levels
    identify new and exciting growth platforms and invest more in marketing and R & D

Too Many Cut-Backs

Former Employee - Engineering in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Engineering in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

State of the art technologies
    Many learning opportunities
    ok pay
    Bonus (although never consistant)

Cons

There have been far too many cut backs without consideration to it's effect on quality/safety.
    Make a safety mistake and lose your job (saw that more than once).
    Corporate goals exist but are hollow (nobody pays real attention to them).

Company was bought by Eastman Chemical. Hopefully, they will see how incredibly understaffed Solutia is, and allow them to hire more personnel. Not many happy people there....