Solutia Reviews

Mark J. Costa

1. Sent my job to China

Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA
    Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sense of family among employees of 10+ years

Cons

Obsessed with rules and regulations to the point of not accomplishing much work. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. They bought the company I worked for and everything was fine for the first several years, not many changes. The chief complaint during 1999-2008 was the sense that my department was frequently chosen to test out the latest management's "social experiment". We went through 5S, "Pay for skills", "OFT concept (open room), ISO, and many other petty/piddly regulations that were basically a drag on our time and made getting the job done very stressful. I used to wonder sometimes if I was there to handle customers or to fill out spreadsheets for management to track what was going on. In 2009 the system was switched to SAP, then like clockwork - six months later the entire customer service operation was farmed out to St. Louis & various Int'l. Centers. We were given the option to move there with an allowance of just 5000 or take a severance package. We had to sign an agreement not to work in the same field for two years if we chose the severance. I had to train my own replacement that was sent to visit from Shanghai. Very awkward. No input from management on the training either. It was basically "Hi, I am here from China to spend five days learning your job, by the way can you give me a ride to my hotel and pick me up too?". Needless to say, I found it a very unpleasant place to work during the last couple of years leading into 2010. At the end, not much good came out of it other than the paycheck.

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Lots of people were impacted by a very poor decision to move jobs away from a small community.

2. Seriously Scary Management

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Solutia

Pros

The people are dedicated and competent

Cons

The management is out of control. One division leadership team would spend time in kareoke bars in China (read up on this in the news to get my point) or other places (direct from2 members of that staff who felt very uncomfortable). Another Senior manager no-bid a consulting contract and then tried to cover up. Senior management had opportunity to sell Nylon division at attractive price but ended up selling at a loss. These guys are only out for themselves

Hard to give advice to people who lack ethics

3. "Continues to regress"

I worked at Solutia full-time

Pros

Was a very good place to work and I was fortunate to advance into several different roles throughout my career and learned quite a bit. Very safety conscious company. A lot of good people work there.

Cons

Upper management at the plant level. Several of the site leadership team members were less than professional. Only listened to certain people. They do things in a very sneaky and unprofessional manner which makes for a very poor working environment. Did not practice what they preached in regards to values.

Practice what you preach especially when it comes to values. People don't work for companies they work for managers. You should think about that as you continue to see people exit the company. It is the HR and plant management at the site level that has made the company one that people want to leave.

5. Cronyism is rampant

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Good opportunities for those in the circle. Lots of great projects are coming up for engineers

Cons

Cronyism is taken to a new level. Lots of politics. People who are part of the inner circle are promoted regularly or "saved" from firing due to incompetence. Unusually large presense in Belguim.....

Stop robbing the company. Take a look at the bonus-to-revenue ratio at Solutia for top execs. Compare to a Fortune 50 company. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

6. Achieving profit at all cost by upper management

Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Decent starting pay. Office used to be in good location.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management. Try to achieve profit at all cost, thus sacrificing employees. Poor job evaluation - telling you you are doing good, but when comes to appraisel, they give you poor rank due to their system. Slow pay increment.

Nothing.

7. Everyone seems to be working 3 jobs at once!

Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Passionate people about the products and their jobs. Lost of opportunity for global work. Pay is at or above market when they want you.

Cons

Long hours, and huge reduction if workforce means everyone is working 3 jobs at once. People are not given a chance to succeed. HR does not compare to what exists in world class organizations.

Offer some hope for the loyal people. A lot of good and loyal people just need to be given a chance to succeed and satisfaction will follow.

8. Used to be a great place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pontiac, MI

I have been working at Solutia

Pros

Did not like the direction the company was going in. Was a mutual decision by both parties to part ways. Upper management often ignored what the lower level employees had to say. the arrogance in the way of doing business is a downfall.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by. Upper managements goals and lower employees goals are not consistent with each other. Need to improve relations with employees.

Listen and stop the arrogance. Make goals clear and concise.

9. friendly people working hard to bring company back from former bankruptcy

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Solutia was full of friendly, helpful people. Everyone was welcome, participation and alternate viewpoints were considered, and there are lots of opportunities to distinguish yourself and projects to tackle. Pace of work was very comfortable with a healthy personal life balance, and a strong camaraderie around the office, which extended to off-campus socializing.

Cons

There are a lot of vestiges of the bankruptcy, like out-of-date documentation and aging equipment and physical plant. It was telling that few of the employees were interested in buying company stock.

I actually think the management is on a good track, I don't know what else I would recommend doing. They've tried to identify strong young candidates and develop from within, and I think that's a healthy approach.

10. Solutia was a great company before the buy-out by Eastman.

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Set my own work hours, flexible working conditions, employee oriented (before Eastman), great location, in my home state.

Cons

Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman

Was not interested

11. Pretty good place to work.

I worked at Solutia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Management is pretty down to earth most of the time. There were plenty of challenges and the day to day job was interesting. Work and life balance could be kept in check with a bit of effort.

Cons

Given the nature of the cyclical business you always had to be worried about layoffs. Not a lot of opportunities to move up the ladder - people have been there a long time.