Solutia Reviews

Solutia CEO Mark J. Costa
Mark J. Costa

1. friendly people working hard to bring company back from former bankruptcy

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Solutia was full of friendly, helpful people. Everyone was welcome, participation and alternate viewpoints were considered, and there are lots of opportunities to distinguish yourself and projects to tackle. Pace of work was very comfortable with a healthy personal life balance, and a strong camaraderie around the office, which extended to off-campus socializing.

Cons

There are a lot of vestiges of the bankruptcy, like out-of-date documentation and aging equipment and physical plant. It was telling that few of the employees were interested in buying company stock.

Advice to Management

I actually think the management is on a good track, I don't know what else I would recommend doing. They've tried to identify strong young candidates and develop from within, and I think that's a healthy approach.

2. Solutia was a great company before the buy-out by Eastman.

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Set my own work hours, flexible working conditions, employee oriented (before Eastman), great location, in my home state.

Cons

Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman, Sold to Eastman

Advice to Management

Was not interested

3. Pretty good place to work.

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Management is pretty down to earth most of the time. There were plenty of challenges and the day to day job was interesting. Work and life balance could be kept in check with a bit of effort.

Cons

Given the nature of the cyclical business you always had to be worried about layoffs. Not a lot of opportunities to move up the ladder - people have been there a long time.

5. Sent my job to China

Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA
    Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Team in Fieldale, VA

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Sense of family among employees of 10+ years

Cons

Obsessed with rules and regulations to the point of not accomplishing much work. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. They bought the company I worked for and everything was fine for the first several years, not many changes. The chief complaint during 1999-2008 was the sense that my department was frequently chosen to test out the latest management's "social experiment". We went through 5S, "Pay for skills", "OFT concept (open room), ISO, and many other petty/piddly regulations that were basically a drag on our time and made getting the job done very stressful. I used to wonder sometimes if I was there to handle customers or to fill out spreadsheets for management to track what was going on. In 2009 the system was switched to SAP, then like clockwork - six months later the entire customer service operation was farmed out to St. Louis & various Int'l. Centers. We were given the option to move there with an allowance of just 5000 or take a severance package. We had to sign an agreement not to work in the same field for two years if we chose the severance. I had to train my own replacement that was sent to visit from Shanghai. Very awkward. No input from management on the training either. It was basically "Hi, I am here from China to spend five days learning your job, by the way can you give me a ride to my hotel and pick me up too?". Needless to say, I found it a very unpleasant place to work during the last couple of years leading into 2010. At the end, not much good came out of it other than the paycheck.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. Lots of people were impacted by a very poor decision to move jobs away from a small community.

6. "Continues to regress"

I worked at Solutia full-time

Pros

Was a very good place to work and I was fortunate to advance into several different roles throughout my career and learned quite a bit. Very safety conscious company. A lot of good people work there.

Cons

Upper management at the plant level. Several of the site leadership team members were less than professional. Only listened to certain people. They do things in a very sneaky and unprofessional manner which makes for a very poor working environment. Did not practice what they preached in regards to values.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach especially when it comes to values. People don't work for companies they work for managers. You should think about that as you continue to see people exit the company. It is the HR and plant management at the site level that has made the company one that people want to leave.

7. Company was bought out

Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - North American Premium Brands Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

constant change, travel, opportunity for the right person

Cons

company was bought out, a lot of uncertainty, Executive staff has all been turned over with in the last 2 years.

Advice to Management

create core beliefs and values systems and then implement them

8. Beyond Expectations

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic working environment and colleagues.

Cons

There were too many "Iron fists". Even top management with over 25 years can be asked to leave.

Advice to Management

Two way communication and be a great listener.

9. Solid

Former Employee - Business Lead in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation, good smart people working there.

Cons

Got sold to Eastman - a lot of good people lost their job

10. Was a good company

Current Employee - Fiinance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Fiinance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation, summer hours, people, location

Cons

management are cut throat, too many secrets, no cross training, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Start listening to employees

11. Interesting company with opportunity

Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Director Marketing in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Solutia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

global roles (have been posted in different parts of the US; was eligible for global assignment) challenging project work (because the company is relatively lean, it makes the employees wear multiple hats nd do different roles at the same time, opportunity to build your resume is good in the short term friendly co-workers (folks are supportive and want to make sure that everyone works together cohesively as a team and share responsibilities)

Cons

strategic confusion (too many changes in vision and strategy resulting in confusion down the line) bankruptcy baggage (having gone thru a painful chapter 11 filing, the credibility of upper management is low) bonus uncertainty (while salaries are around median for the industry, there is always uncertainty abut the extent of bonus and whether it will improve year-over-year)

Advice to Management

have clarity and consisitency of vision communicate more with employees at all levels identify new and exciting growth platforms and invest more in marketing and R & D

RSS Feed </> Embed