Solution Beacon

Solution Beacon Reviews

2.9

Craig Hobson
1 Rating

The company is dedicated to the Oracle end user community

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great Marketing and Consultants. I was always treated respectfully and enjoyed working for the company.

Cons

Financial position has suffered in the last few years.

Questionable commitment to subcontractors and employees

Current Employee - Oracle Applications Consultant
    Current Employee - Oracle Applications Consultant

Pros

There have been some really good people work for Solution Beacon over the years including a couple or few that still remain.
    The company has produced some nice white papers to be used in the Oracle Financials and Oracle HRMS user communities.
    Solution Beacon has brand recognition in the Oracle industry.

Cons

- If you are considering working for Solution Beacon, you must weigh the odds of whether or not Solution Beacon will honor their agreement to pay you as a subcontractor. Sometimes they will. Sometimes they don't.
    - Our most recent subcontractor performed quality work which was accepted and paid by Solution Beacon's end-client to Solution Beacon.
    - It has been nearly one year since completion of work. We are only talking about a few thousand dollars not paid! We are aware of other consultants in industry who have not been paid substantial amounts that greatly exceed our amount.
    - The irony is we are a friend to Solution Beacon and have been for years. Solution Beacon had always paid us and our consultants had always represented them well. But we can't even earn a simple acknowledgement.

We wish well at Solution Beacon and believe you can turn things around! Consider writing something to your partners like, "Dear <insert subcontractor name>, We value you as a partner to Solution Beacon and thank you for your top quality work. We apologize for our failure to acknowledge your phone calls or emails over the past year. We can't change our past mistakes but we aim to do the right thing now. Yes, we have experienced financial difficulties due to <insert reasons>. We plan to fully pay you for your work. Our hope is to accomplish this by <insert date>. If we experience further delays, we commit to communicating with you. Please work with us again as we attempt to re-build our once proud organization!"

Compared to Other Consulting Firms

Pros

* Organized. Structured template and guidelines
    * Contract work is based on flat fee/projected hours hours rather than actual hours. This could be a good or bad thing depending on your skill set, experience, the difficulty of the project and your time management skills.
    * The consultants that work or contract with Solution Beacon are skilled and knowledgeable. They have excellent communication skills.

Cons

As mentioned the contract work is negotiated on a flat fee, sometimes it is frustrating.
    A lot of administrative paperwork sometimes.
    Their current financial situation because of the economy and one bad client experience
    The industry is competitive.

I have worked with many consulting firms as a contractor. I like the project model of set guidelines, templates and detailed project plan. It is one of the most organized and structured setups. You are upfront and honest. You encourage your employees and contractors to have a life (outside of work) which I appreciate. You have extremely talented employees and contractors working for you but the rumors of the financial situation overshadow it all. I hope it will turn around.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unethical

Former Employee - Project Manager/Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Senior Consultant

Pros

Good Marketing Skills don't mean a good company

Cons

Don't pay their contractors on time if at all

If you contract with some one, you pay them

Rarely Paid On Time and very poor management skills

Pros

They have managed to develop ways to function as a virtual company.

Cons

Nearly every pay period you will get paid late. Very week management of technical management. Management maintains a Big-I-And-Little-U mentality. Management likes to take credit for its people work without rewarding the individuals. Very poor communication within the organization given that it is a virtual management company.

Develop deep knowledge of Management and Technical Skills. Get a PMP to help yourself to deal more effectively with staff.

OK

Pros

great reputation, solid knowledge base and expertise

Cons

continue to establish name recognition

none

Worked for Solution Beacon? Contribute to the Community!