Solutionary

Solutionary Reviews

Updated May 14, 2014

Steven A Idelman

Ups and Downs, all and all you learn IT Security Practices to carry on with you

Information Security Analyst (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

Pros- Decent Pay for Entry Level
    - Paid security Plus training and Certification (refer to Cons for this as well)
    - If you love OT it is there for the taking

Cons- 24/7/365, so expect a lot of work load carry over from the previous shift.

- Culture is not very enjoyable in the Pittsburgh office, it seems a lot of Information Security Analysts are rushing to get moved to another department, which makes the surroundings in the Security Operations Center nearly unbearable at times.

-CompTIA Security+ Certification is mandatory in order to keep your employment, at the time I got hired in October of 2012 It was not mentioned that this training and certification was even required. It is a good thing that the company is paying for a single weeks training on the material involved on the exam, and they provide you the text book for your own self study as well pay for the exam.

"Warning: If you are a student out side of Solutionary working to get a Bachelor's in IT such as myself, expect to put it aside for intensive Security+ studying. If you fail the exam once, you are given the option to take it again within a single week's time, but if a second failed attempt occurs the financial burden of the exam falls on you the employee, or you will be terminated".

Please understand this is my con, but not to drive anyone away from a good opportunity to emerge yourself in the information security world.

Advice to Senior Management"Moving forward let new hires for "Information Security Analysts" understand at the interview, before they take your offer that CompTIA Security + is required to maintain employed"

Good and fair place to work, with a open door to furthering an IT Security carreer :)

Information Security Analyst (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

Pros- Learn a lot when it comes to IT Security, plus company paid "Security +" certification training and testing.

- Fair pay for entry level

- Advancement opportunities are there if you work at them.

- Tons of Overtime

Cons- 24/7/365 so shifts are filled as needed

- Security+ Certification is required as a "Information Security Analyst" with no exceptions, this as mentioned is provided and paid for by Solutionary.

Okay, but don't plan on making a career there!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsGood products and much to learn. If you want to dive headlong into Security as a career, you can learn a lot here. Most of the people who work here really do care about the customer and want to do a good job.

ConsThe "famiy run" atmosphere can be toxic. Being publicly berated is not uncommon. Favoritism runs rampant. If you do not have a thick skin, this is definitely not the place to be. Extremely high turnover rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Now. Leave the running of this company to professionals.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hot Company in a Hot Industry

Pros- No better industry to be in right now in IT.
    - Unlimited career opportunities if you work hard and seize them.
    - Proven track record of tremendous growth over many years.
    - Being a private company allows for Solutionary to invest money how it sees fit (research, development, sales, etc) without the stress that goes along with public companies. A much better situation for customers in a fast-changing area driven by compliance.

Cons- Very high expectations internally and externally demand long hours and plenty of stress.
    - Difficult to find solid candidates willing to perform hard work sometimes.

Advice to Senior Management- Make the investment in streamlining customer acquisition to be more efficient.

Great Company in a Growing Industry

Current Employee (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsSolutionary is a great company to work for with great corporate values. Senior management has an open door policy and truly cares about the well being of their employees. The company is growing at a rapid rate which means there is never a dull day. Each and every day brings a new challenge and learning opportunity. Security is something that is here for the long haul so Solutionary provides great job security.

ConsThe same thing that is a pro is also a con; growing at a very rapid rate, which means there is a lot of work to do. Sometimes it is very difficult to stay focused on the task at hand since you are being pulled in different directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are donig.

Hard work and dedication = opportuntities for advancement

Network Administrator (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsFast paced which gives someone plenty of opportuniites for experience, it also allows you to stay busy as well as be challenged. I like the fact that there are a lot of veterans working here, it shows that the company respects the military (in my opinion) and our country. I've read some of the other posts on this site about our management and it made me wonder, this company just in the time I've been there has grown quite a bit, from what I've seen we've nearly doubled the past 2 1/2 years and our ratings within the industry seem to have been continually improving, etc., so with that being said, to me (and I have zero executive experience, never even owned and ran my own lemonade stand growing up) it sure does seem our executives have been doing the right things to build and grow this company, that is unless somehow in todays business world and market we're just the luckiest SOB's around which I don't think is really plausible. So, with that being said, we have had tremendous growth and in our industry our ratings have done nothing but improve, so that would mean they're doing a darn good job. More pro's, they pay seems to be very competitive, though all of us always seem to want more, benefits are good too. Lastly, the title of this review is dedication and hard work = opportunities for advancement, here if you do work hard and are dedicated, it really does seem to get noticed and is rewarded. Also, we are VERY customer/client focused which I've always liked.

ConsSome of the departments could try to work more effeciently together, also instead of having separate vacation and sick days (which you lose if you dont' get sick and use them) have PTO days isntead.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince I've never owned and ran a lemondade stand therefore I don't know what it takes to grow and run a company, I'd have to say continue what you are doing as it apparently/obviously is working looking at how much we've grown, especially in todays economony!

Growing like wildfire!

Pitts, PA

ProsSolutionary is the only pure-play MSSP in the industry and ranked as a leader in the 2012 MSSP Magic Quadrant. They know security, it's their only focus. If you're looking for a great place to work with a forecasted 20-30% increase in employee count, over the next year, Solutionary is the place. And, with the expected increase in employee count, they'll be plenty of opportunity for advancement. I've been with the company for about 5 years and appreciate the leadership and dedication of all teammates.

ConsNone at this time - so busy; hanging in there!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing and steering the company down the path of success. You've successfully done it many times over!

Growing Industry!!!

Information Security Analyst (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsGrowing industry that really knows how to take care of their customers. It's a very refreshing Customer First company! I haven't experienced this in a company before.

ConsIt's a growing company, might have to work extra hours per week but it's exciting! I am proud to work here. I have worked at other companies that are not as close knit as Solutionary.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat visionary leadership! I learn something every day from my manager and co workers. I am very proud to work here.

They don't want professionals. They want clones

Omaha, NE

ProsVery good software application. Nice facilities

ConsNo corporate strategy, poor leadership, micromanaged, inadequate training. The culture is so bad they order people to write good reviews here. Anything above 4 stars is bogus. They do a lot of hiring, but it's balanced by the number of people that leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. People agree with you because they want to keep a job. Most think you've taken it as far as you can. Your arrogance is going to be this company's downfall.

Fast-paced, sometimes reactionary, CEO is confused

Information Security Analyst (Former Employee)
    Omaha, NE

ProsThey promote from within, you will work hard but see results

ConsThinks it still a mom and pop shop

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less reactionary, care more about employees

Worked for Solutionary? Contribute to the Community!

Solutionary – Why Work for Us?

​​Building and Securing a Career​​ The dedicated people at Solutionary have helped to create the leading pure-play Managed Security Service Provider. We believe our people are the heart of a culture that truly makes you… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Solutionary reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Solutionary CEO Steven A Idelman. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Solutionary employees.