Solutionary

Fast Paced and Fun

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Solutionary is growing explosively as well as being recently acquired by NTT opening even more venues of growth in all product lines. This makes it a very exciting place to work. It is fast paced and the hours can be long, but the opportunity is unlimited. I found the Executive Team to be talented, but also willing to listen to new ideas and support action to implement those ideas.

I have read many of the reviews on here and I think that they show that some of the folks haven't experienced many other companies. This is not a place to go to punch a clock 9-5. I have worked in those environments including a Fortune 500 Financial Company. The difference between those companies and Solutionary is that at Solutionary, you can expand your horizons and take on as much responsibility as you can handle. I think it is that pace that has led to some negative reviews. People often say they want to go to an entrepreneurial company, not realizing what they will find in a company that is growing very quickly. You have to want to thrive in that environment.

Another thing that I thought was a plus in this company is that, in companies that are growing, mistakes are made. You are perfecting process and technology and like anything, it won't always be right the first time. I felt that although, like every company, there was some emotional and heated moments, the Executive Team was very nurturing and forward looking in those times. In a large company, most large outages lead to someone being fired or demoted. I think if folks understood that, they would appreciate the Executive engagement more than they do today.

Folks are given plenty of chances and even allowed to migrate from vertical to vertical to find the spot that best suits them. Solutionary is hiring the person and their talent and will allow that person to grow their skills. We had folks go from IT to Sales and vice versa. Overall I'm not sure what else you could ask for as far as opportunity and advancement.

This company promotes from within with very few outside additions. There have been some external hires lately, but that is to fill skill sets that don't exist in the company currently, so no one is being passed over.

Cons

Of course in smaller companies the hours can be long sometimes as everyone is wearing more than one hat. I say that just shows the opportunity to be promoted. Many of the mid level managers of the company started as entry level personnel and over the years were promoted due to their talent.

I do think that the Executive Team is overly generous in giving folks the benefit of the doubt. That shows how great a family feel there is at the company, but long term that does not build a strong team. As the Peter Principle states, folks can rise to a point, beyond which they are not going to be successful. I think this is a case of hearts in the right place, maybe not getting the needed results.

Again when I hear folks complain about this, they should look in the mirror and see how many times someone has mentored and helped them overcome and obstacle that might have had a different result at another company. We have all needed a second chance or some mentoring in our careers.

I relocated otherwise I would still be working with the Solutionary Team. I think many of the needed steps are being taken. I do think that continuing to drive process improvement and Key Performance Indicators to formalize some of the work will help. I think that being as objective as possible in reviews and setting SMART goals (simple, measurable, attainable, etc) will help manage folks into the right positions. Maybe a formal mentoring program for managers that are struggling may also help. Overall a great place to work in my opinion. The only negatives really equate to Executives caring about people's success too much so if that is the worst you get, hard to complain.

Toxic Culture

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

The technology and some of the staff are fantastic.

Cons

The cons by far out weigh the pros. The Management Team consists mostly of bullies. While there are a few that are not, they have no voice and cannot promote any change to a highly toxic culture. There is nepotism and favoritism. Both take the forefront and are put before clients and other employees. They work employees to the bone with horrific hours and no appreciation. Operationally they are keeping things together by overworking the staff and a mix of rubber bands and chewing gum. The true issues with the operations are never addressed, if they were they would have to look at the executive who is responsible for them and they will never do that. Instead they point fingers at overworked employees scream and yell at them.

This is no longer a family owned business quit harassing and berating your employees and leave!

No spine required

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Solutionary

Pros

Really nothing, only pro is well not working here

Cons

Basically the management and all the close door meetings talk about the rumor mill

Change careers

Very disorganized and misleads it's clients.

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great colleagues and teammates. Very good benefits. Decent vacation accruals. A good place learn a lot during a short period of time and then move on.

Cons

Company is very disorganized and lacks vision and decision making ability at the top. As a result the company incurs very high turnover rates internally and performs very poorly when trying to meet SLAs for clients.

In some case employees are asked or encouraged to fabricate answers for clients or auditors.

The culture is one of fear and nepotism emanating from the CEO & COO.

Pay is far below average. $35,000 for an information security analyst.

Work life balance is for the most part horrible. If management sees an opportunity to take advantage they will not hesitate.

Advice to management is a waste of time and effort. Many people have tried to offer constructive input only to be demoted or terminated. Senior Management openly mocks its employees. CEO and COO often throw temper tantrums that would rival the most spoiled 2 year olds.

Aggressive work environment.

Former Employee - Managed Devices Team in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Managed Devices Team in Omaha, NE

I worked at Solutionary full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent people working with you everyday. Opportunity to learn many things since drinking from a fire hose.

Cons

Sweatshop environment. Sales team to sell without back-end support knowledge --huge gap.

Need proper mangers with less micromanagement from executive team. More trust, communication and policies within management levels.

Fast Paced and Still Growing

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with upward mobility. Fast paced, but also a flexible and casual work environment. If you are willing to work hard and put in the time, it is usually recognized.

Cons

Like any company, no one is 100% perfect. They are taking appropriate actions to fix the areas that need improvement.

Continue to focus on the areas of improvement and the resources that will take Solutionary to the next level.

Sales

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Great services for the customer

Cons

Executive Management should listen to capable individuals more closely

Understand you are not always correct in your thinking

Bullying at its best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Solutionary full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about the information security field and work with some of the brightest people you will ever meet.

Cons

Constant bullying all but one of the c-level staff, and refusal to deal with obvious incompetence by most of management.

C-level staff should quit and take their family members with them. It doesn't matter how many employees you coerce into writing good reviews on glassdoor, you need to have a hard dose of reality and realize the company is better off without you. You have a select few sr managers that can make the company great.

Culture of blame

I worked at Solutionary

Pros

Great company for an entry level, new graduate, who is seeking a career in IT Security.

Cons

Unless you can somehow break into the 'inner circle' of trusted upper management, you will most likely be left to rot. You will be expected to work long hours for no apparent reason.

Your number one asset is your people, you should treat them as assets, not simply as a payroll expense. Develop them, trust them, compensate them well, and let them grow.

Great if you are a customer, horrible if you are an employee

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn security. There are varying technologies that can help you build your skillset.

Cons

The original owners (are you reading this NTT?) should have been given their walking papers long ago. Their overwhelming egos are not matched by their skills. They publicly berate the staff, drive away truly competent employees and cover for others who have few talents, unless screeching is considered a talent. It's very sad because there are some awesome people who work there and the service is basically sound

To NTT: Get rid of the original owners, they are the doom of your investment.