Solutionary Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Steven A Idelman

Great product, awesome people, confused leadership

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Excellent product, fair comp package, great opportunity for aspiring techies

Cons

Executive management is unable to delegate and release their management team to do their jobs

Advice to Management

Let your people do the work you hired them to do and listen to your people

It didn't usually suck

Former Employee - Information Securuty Analyst
    Former Employee - Information Securuty Analyst

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

It is a collaborative, team environment (at least in the SOC).
    Other positions that aren't SOC can work from home.

Cons

The SOC team works on a web portal. Why can't we work from home?
    The management stresses quality over quantity while telling to both work faster and spend more time on analysis.

Advice to Management

You all need to stop treating the SOC people like dumb children.

Okay but do not plan on staying.

I worked at Solutionary

Pros

Great product! Many of the employees here are good to work among. Growing company which is great to be a part of. If you love the security world then this is the place for you.

Cons

Poor teamwork habits, toxic environment, and way too much micromanaging going on. Management plays favorites. Training documentation is outdated.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your bad seeds!

Toxic Culture

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

The technology and some of the staff are fantastic.

Cons

The cons by far out weigh the pros. The Management Team consists mostly of bullies. While there are a few that are not, they have no voice and cannot promote any change to a highly toxic culture. There is nepotism and favoritism. Both take the forefront and are put before clients and other employees. They work employees to the bone with horrific hours and no appreciation. Operationally they are keeping things together by overworking the staff and a mix of rubber bands and chewing gum. The true issues with the operations are never addressed, if they were they would have to look at the executive who is responsible for them and they will never do that. Instead they point fingers at overworked employees scream and yell at them.

Advice to Management

This is no longer a family owned business quit harassing and berating your employees and leave!

Very disorganized and misleads it's clients.

I have been working at Solutionary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues and teammates. Very good benefits. Decent vacation accruals. A good place learn a lot during a short period of time and then move on.

Cons

Company is very disorganized and lacks vision and decision making ability at the top. As a result the company incurs very high turnover rates internally and performs very poorly when trying to meet SLAs for clients.

In some case employees are asked or encouraged to fabricate answers for clients or auditors.

The culture is one of fear and nepotism emanating from the CEO & COO.

Pay is far below average. $35,000 for an information security analyst.

Work life balance is for the most part horrible. If management sees an opportunity to take advantage they will not hesitate.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is a waste of time and effort. Many people have tried to offer constructive input only to be demoted or terminated. Senior Management openly mocks its employees. CEO and COO often throw temper tantrums that would rival the most spoiled 2 year olds.

No spine required

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Solutionary

Pros

Really nothing, only pro is well not working here

Cons

Basically the management and all the close door meetings talk about the rumor mill

Advice to Management

Change careers

Fast Paced and Fun

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Solutionary is growing explosively as well as being recently acquired by NTT opening even more venues of growth in all product lines. This makes it a very exciting place to work. It is fast paced and the hours can be long, but the opportunity is unlimited. I found the Executive Team to be talented, but also willing to listen to new ideas and support action to implement those ideas.

I have read many of the reviews on here and I think that they show that some of the folks haven't experienced many other companies. This is not a place to go to punch a clock 9-5. I have worked in those environments including a Fortune 500 Financial Company. The difference between those companies and Solutionary is that at Solutionary, you can expand your horizons and take on as much responsibility as you can handle. I think it is that pace that has led to some negative reviews. People often say they want to go to an entrepreneurial company, not realizing what they will find in a company that is growing very quickly. You have to want to thrive in that environment.

Another thing that I thought was a plus in this company is that, in companies that are growing, mistakes are made. You are perfecting process and technology and like anything, it won't always be right the first time. I felt that although, like every company, there was some emotional and heated moments, the Executive Team was very nurturing and forward looking in those times. In a large company, most large outages lead to someone being fired or demoted. I think if folks understood that, they would appreciate the Executive engagement more than they do today.

Folks are given plenty of chances and even allowed to migrate from vertical to vertical to find the spot that best suits them. Solutionary is hiring the person and their talent and will allow that person to grow their skills. We had folks go from IT to Sales and vice versa. Overall I'm not sure what else you could ask for as far as opportunity and advancement.

This company promotes from within with very few outside additions. There have been some external hires lately, but that is to fill skill sets that don't exist in the company currently, so no one is being passed over.

Cons

Of course in smaller companies the hours can be long sometimes as everyone is wearing more than one hat. I say that just shows the opportunity to be promoted. Many of the mid level managers of the company started as entry level personnel and over the years were promoted due to their talent.

I do think that the Executive Team is overly generous in giving folks the benefit of the doubt. That shows how great a family feel there is at the company, but long term that does not build a strong team. As the Peter Principle states, folks can rise to a point, beyond which they are not going to be successful. I think this is a case of hearts in the right place, maybe not getting the needed results.

Again when I hear folks complain about this, they should look in the mirror and see how many times someone has mentored and helped them overcome and obstacle that might have had a different result at another company. We have all needed a second chance or some mentoring in our careers.

Advice to Management

I relocated otherwise I would still be working with the Solutionary Team. I think many of the needed steps are being taken. I do think that continuing to drive process improvement and Key Performance Indicators to formalize some of the work will help. I think that being as objective as possible in reviews and setting SMART goals (simple, measurable, attainable, etc) will help manage folks into the right positions. Maybe a formal mentoring program for managers that are struggling may also help. Overall a great place to work in my opinion. The only negatives really equate to Executives caring about people's success too much so if that is the worst you get, hard to complain.

Aggressive work environment.

Former Employee - Managed Devices Team in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Managed Devices Team in Omaha, NE

I worked at Solutionary full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent people working with you everyday. Opportunity to learn many things since drinking from a fire hose.

Cons

Sweatshop environment. Sales team to sell without back-end support knowledge --huge gap.

Advice to Management

Need proper mangers with less micromanagement from executive team. More trust, communication and policies within management levels.

Sales

I worked at Solutionary full-time

Pros

Great services for the customer

Cons

Executive Management should listen to capable individuals more closely

Advice to Management

Understand you are not always correct in your thinking

Culture of blame

I worked at Solutionary

Pros

Great company for an entry level, new graduate, who is seeking a career in IT Security.

Cons

Unless you can somehow break into the 'inner circle' of trusted upper management, you will most likely be left to rot. You will be expected to work long hours for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

Your number one asset is your people, you should treat them as assets, not simply as a payroll expense. Develop them, trust them, compensate them well, and let them grow.

RSS Feed </> Embed