Solvay

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
3.8

Christian Jourquin

Great people but organization lacking any kind of structure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at Solvay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very smart, high-caliber people are very common which is great to learn and be challenged.
    Solid business, diversified and with good to great prospects.
    Pay is quite competitive and benefits are very good.

Cons

Leadership is usually smart but is often not that interested in their people. Development seems to be more of a word to sound modern than a real HR concern.
    There is no structure at all, this is a matrix organisation with no strategic direction, clear decision processes or binding job descriptions: many high-level managers try to do everyone else's jobs at the expense of efficiency. Insane amount of wasted time, energy and money doing that.
    Very short-term oriented (way more than other companies in the chemical industry). Even with clear data showing the issues, decisions can be taken that are clearly detrimental to medium-term (<1 year) profitability to fit a short-term need. New (often good) tools are always deployed to be abandoned the year after.
    Current goal-setting processes for executives leads to an extremely regional focus: the company as a global entity is irrelevant, only the region counts (leading to wasteful spending and decisions by regional managers striving, understandably and logically, to reach and exceed their objectives).

Clarify and enforce manager's responsibilities and deliverables: stick to what each manager is supposed to do and let employees outside of the manager's area of responsibility do their job.
    Align regional managers' objectives to the global success of the company, the company is too global and integrated to be as successful as it could be with the current regional focus.

Intern

Former Employee - Scientist in Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Bristol, PA

I worked at Solvay as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Safe and friendly work environment.
    Knowledgeable, creative, passionate, and skilled employees

Cons

Repetitive work during the internship

The pas 2 years of been rough, management was not on same page as peers and communication was lacking

I worked at Solvay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The group of people I worked with was awesome. We were one big team. Learned a lot in a short amount of time

Cons

management constantly changing their mind on goals which would led to an uncomfortable environment at times. Not professional in meetings and management was too busy to assist in projects.

Incredible opportunity for young engineers!

Current Employee - Foundations Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Foundations Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Solvay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Foundations program allows you to develop professional skills and technical skills over 5 years to prepare you for a management positions

Cons

Being a $13 billion company it would be helpful if we did more sponsoring to get our name out there.

Good Internship Experience, not much opportunity

Former Employee - Paint Formulation Scientist in Bristol, PA
    Former Employee - Paint Formulation Scientist in Bristol, PA

I worked at Solvay as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of young interns, 7.5 hour days, some lunch meetings

Cons

Slow work environment, senior level employees developed cliques and were quite hostile with eachother

Stop depending on interns so much and hire entry level employees

Overall, Happy

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Solvay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They really want to keep young talent around and it seems they are trying to liven up the environment. I work at the plant and the hours can be long if you're a perfectionist, but mostly I get to enjoy flexible coming in and leaving times. Everyone raves about our retirement plan (matching up to 9%) and it seems like there is a wide range of benefits (that I just don't appreciate yet as a young, independent household). Signing bonus and relocation bonus were great.

Cons

I think the plant is in a perpetual state of being understaffed.. but this sound like a common issue within the chemical industry. However, this presents the opportunity to be exposed to more and there is not too much micromanagement.

Work-life balance is often said to be a focus, but I just don't see any progress in that, yet. There is a large age gap in the people employed there (<10 years and >20 years), so I think it is easy to forget that work isn't the focal point in lives of the other (younger) portion of the company. Lots of opportunity for leadership, as there are not many to compete against for the, but you have to stick with it long-term for guaranteed success.

Great place to work at!!!

Former Employee - Chemical Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Chemical Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Solvay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits and ot is there when needed.

Cons

The people that I worked with didn't value their job and they took their job for granted!!!

Need to put a better training program for their new hires!!!

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - R&D Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - R&D Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Solvay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance through out the organization

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement for entry-level employees

Solvay is a solid company.

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at Solvay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solvay pays well, and has an intelligent and driven work force. It is focused on achieving finical success, in a long term and sustainable way. Because it large, it offers a variety of opportunities for advancement. You will be able to work with a variety of cultures and nationalities.

Cons

Solvay is extremely driven to achieve quarterly and annual results. This can sometimes result in in a great deal of pressure, and a short term focus.
    Solvay is a large European style matrix organization. This can sometimes be frustrating when trying to adapt to changing situations.

The company is very well run, and I am confident that it will be very successful in the long run. If possible, adapting goals to changing situations should be considered. This may prevent short term actions that have unwanted long term consequences. However, the Capital Markets may prevent this.

R&D center

Current Employee - R&D Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - R&D Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Solvay full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great and very smart &top notch company to work for.

Cons

Some people try to change company culture

Keep Solvay core values