Soma Intimates Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.7

Laurie Van Brunt

Pros
  • In addition I feel that having a work life balance is a priority (in 10 reviews)

• I had a good time selling merchandise i loved, great employee discount (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, no enforced time for employee reviews, raises (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management (DSM, RSM) apparently doesn't have to adhere to company policies (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

positive

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

work life balance, coworkers, discount,

Cons

pay, competitie atmosphere, no team work

Friendly environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous discount with flexible scheduling. Associates are friendly and welcoming. Bonus incentives for sales depending on how much you sell. Pay is above minimum wage.

Cons

Not a lot of hours are given.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Soma Intimates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company provides good training programs.

Cons

Company does not listen to needs of employees and customers.

Ensure that you make all your sales goals and push hard to exceed goals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Associates

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the ladies I've gotten to know- both in my store and in the others I've helped in. The bonus program is nice, definitely a good add on to the pay. Employee discount is excellent, and is good at our sister brands! Products are good and I would recommend as just a customer. Coaching tools to be a better salesperson while cheesy at times are helpful. Theres also a program to get store leaders into corporate positions if they desire

Cons

Management training is not consistent across the board, I've felt that I had more knowledge or experience than some of my superiors.. The pay and hours at this level are below most other companies as we are considered management but are often cut to avoid paying benefits or higher salaries. In my district moving out of sales leads to an Assistant Mgr or Store Mgr are slim to none.

Honestly take a good look at your Leads. We're hardworking and pick up the slack that Store Mgrs and Asst. Mgrs or associates cant. With the rate of expansion the company is having, promotions from within could be higher, or consider giving your leads higher pay to balance the lack of benefits.

Just OK

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Soma Intimates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very concerned with work life balance

Cons

Does not pay well for any position

They do not like to solve problems, just smooth things over.

Overall a positive experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Soma Intimates part-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a good time selling merchandise i loved, great employee discount

Cons

not enough hours, the management was rude

Fast-growing company under Chico's FAS Brand

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Greenville, SC

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time for more than a year

Pros

-repeat clientele that makes the job rewarding; co-workers are like family

Cons

-although the company is "fast-growing", opportunity for upward mobility levels off

Soma is at the bottom of the totem pole in regards to bonus. They claim the pay is so bad because they want you to "maximize your opportunity for bonus." My advice is that they start off with a better base-pay so that employees who work part-time feel more rewarded for the hard work that is expected of them. As a Sales Lead, the only difference between me and the sales associates is that I had keys to the store with a "fancy title". They do not offer part-time management any additional benefits for being in management. And although I was told there were lots of opportunities for growth, even within the sister brands, I remained in the same position for over a year and a half.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Soma Intimates part-time for less than a year

Pros

Your first discount is 65% off then its 40% off
    Flexible hours only bc they don't want to give any.

Cons

I was told it was a fun non stress sale job and all they did way lie from day one. I was interviewed for a sales lead position and I was told it wasn't approved yet so i took the sales postion job in the mean time. A few day's after starting i found out that the sales lead position was approved from the assistant manager and the other two sale leads when I inquired about it from the manager was told it wasn't approved . I was also told it wasn't a high stress sales job but yet when a customers walks out the door without making a purchase you are asked why didn't they buy anything? Heaven forbid you tell them they were just looking because then its what could you do next time to get them to buy.Guess customers are not allowed to just look they can only come in if they buy. I was asked about two weeks after starting to basically quit my other job ( i had already changed my hours there to work for them during the day bc thats when they needed more help) to be more available for them yet they wouldn't garentee me more hours to quit my other job I was told it depended on how much I sell on how many hrs I get. There are only two thing this company cares about and that is conversions and sales , They don't care how pushy there employees are to customers its about the sale.

Have you'r management team be more honest on what they are looking for or expect out of an employee.
    Employees hired would like to work more then 4 hrs shifts.
    Employees should't be hassled or given an attutude if they would like to return something bc yes employees do return stuff and they should be able to do so at any store not just the one they work at.
    You'r company sells bra's and panty's not cars!

Micromanagement to the Nth degree!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Soma Intimates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My co-workers. The product. Loyal customers who appreciate what you do.

Cons

Where do I begin? Salary shameful, "bonuses" a joke. Sales goals completely unrealistic. Store location (outside mall v. indoor mall) not considered when sales goals are established by upper management. Our Soma is in an outdoor mall in New England. Too hot = no customers. Too cold, snow, sleet, rain, ice = no customers. All of which = chastisement from upper management because you didn't make your day/week/month.

Upper management (DSM, RSM) apparently doesn't have to adhere to company policies. Despite company established protocol, our RSM did it her way. If questioned about this, the attitude was, more or less, "because I said so". I worked every weekend fo 6 months because that's the way the RSM wanted it. Pretty much the same with DSM, who clearly was a puppet for the RSM.

E-mail capture - another thorn in everyone's side. Customers have the right to say "no".

Customer phone calls are intrusive and, ultimately, a waste of time.

Fund raising inappropriate in a retail setting. There should be no goals set for this, nor should there be repercussions from upper management based on what was or wasn't collected. My SM and I (ASM) have actually "donated" just to meet the expectations of upper management and because we just didn't want to hear their demeaning comments ... again.

DSM was hired from the outside, having never worked at Soma; she and the RSM were buddy-buddy.

Not enough time to accomplish management tasks because working to meet sales goals. Micromanagement to the point of telling us what to put in our mobile office, operational binders and file cabinet.

Back off a little! Stop hovering over our shoulders and micromanaging everything we do. Enough with the e-mail capture already! And the phone calls. We weren't hired to market the company and, if we were, we need to get paid a lot more money. If upper management spent half as much time concentrating on ways to reward their employees, rather than nitpicking every little thing, Soma would be a much better place to work.

Best experience/worst experience

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Soma Intimates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was hired by a DM that was passionate about her company. I left a job of 10 years to join soma as a store manager. I knew nothing about the company but soon discovered enthusiasm, passion and excitement. I was told that managers should have an entreprenurial spirit. They allowed me to give our customers amazing personal service, exactly what I believed retail should be. The customers responded by telling friends and family. Our team was proud of what we were doing. Change is inevitable and does occur. I learned different aspects of business from a new DM. She brought a new focus on standards and answered my high level questions about reports. I understood and accepted all that soma asked of it's teams. My team also understood, we were driven by the goals, but never lost focus of our most important goal, Most Amazing Personal Service.
    If you are a retail manager that is service /sales driven this is for you. If you are negative and discouraged by using your skills to stretch and lead (not boss) your team, this is not for you.
    So many great things to learn.

Cons

Recent promotions may have been a bit premature. After three years of compliments from my guests, DMs, peers and employees I was written up by a new DM at her second visit to my store stating that I was creating animosity in my store. This crushed me and my spirit. She also included this in an annual review that was supposed to reflect time worked prior to her taking the position. I could not get a response from hr when I wanted to follow up. When I explained to my DM that I was finding it hard to trust her, I was granted a touch base with my new RM which I spent days preparing for. Once the newly promoted RM called, she started the call by telling me she had about 10 minutes for me. I continued to feel crushed. I was nervous and afraid to speak to anyone when attending a management meeting at our corporate location.

I still believe in soma intimates and chicos fas. I think it can be an Amazing Place to Work, Learn and Grow. I felt the best way to preserve myself and to uphold the values of vibrant spirit and integrity was to move on. I only hope I am rehireable.
    My best advice is follow up on promotions. Canvas the team of the new leader at 3 months and 6 months. Conduct exit interviews with all levels of employees. Save those that love working and love working specifically for your company!

Worked for Soma Intimates? Contribute to the Community!