Somnio Solutions, Inc.

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014
3.7

Harold M. Valderas

Having a great time at Somnio!

I have been working at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are hard working, supportive and fun. There seems to be a strong bond amongst the team, even when it's crunch. time. This comes in handy when the demands are high.
    The leadership is open to new ideas and supports the team as much as possible.

Cons

Big clients can be demanding and often request deadlines that are difficult to hit.

Continue to listen to your people, even when you can't solve the problem or if you don't have the answer. You have a great asset in the team and the culture. Continue to support it.

Love this place!

I have been working at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like many of my co-workers, I have worked with several agencies. My experiences have ranged from just ok to terrible work environments. Finally at Somnio, I believe I have found a place where I can be creative and feel like I am part of a real team. Creative management is open and encouraging of the team to think outside the box. The companies management is optimistic and seems to genuinely care about the team. I love our open offices and collaboration spaces. In a nutshell, I am so happy to have found Somnio!

Cons

Very little. There of course are the deadlines and the hectic pace to deliver projects on time but that is just part of being in the agency world. The office is a little out there but that is mitigated by the great work environment.

Keep doing what you are doing.

The sky is the limit for Somnio

I have been working at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone who works here is committed to the growth of Somnio. Super friendly team. They have some young talented individuals that are going to be super stars. Great executives that are focused on expansion.

Cons

No major complaints. This place rocks and it has been a pleasure starting my career here.

Keep evolving the company culture. Keep expanding the portfolio by exploring different industries.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good group of hard working people

I have been working at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice culture. Everyone works hard and is accountable to one another. The compensation is "good" and probably appropriate for an agency of it's size. There are enough social gatherings to keep everyone sane and relaxed.

Cons

Large clients have a way of pushing small agencies around which can make deadlines...fun.

Provide a career path whenever possible since you've got a strong, committed team.

The future is bright for Somnio

I have been working at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of bright, hard working people with an impressive client list. The team has a great understanding of the digital and social world and continues to evolve to respond to client needs. Most everyone has a can do attitude and appreciates the opportunity that is preset.
    It's a great privilege to work with some of the largest companies in the world on a daily basis and our clients truly appreciate what Somnio brings to the table.
    Management is very flexible with regards to hours and time off. They certainly support a positive work life balance.

Cons

Supporting large brands can present challenges. When they say "jump" we have to say "how high."

Like many other agencies, our management has had to respond to challenges within our client base and the economy as a whole. My recommendation is to continue to listen to the team while doing what they know is best for the structure and future of the company. Continue to share the rationale for decisions and continue to make the team as much a part of these decisions as possible.

A great mix of creative, passionate and intelligent people

I have been working at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Somnio is a very open and collaborative workplace with passionate, intelligent, and creative individuals. Every person at Somnio genuinely cares about their job, the people they work with, and does their best work.

Cons

The location may be a drive for some from downtown Austin, but the drive is opposite of traffic and has beautiful scenery. The digital marketing industry is always changing and change is no different at Somnio. Individuals at Somnio have to be comfortable with change and trust the leadership to make sound decisions for the health of the company.

Continue to be transparent with your employees as to why major decisions are made; whether it be financial or business reasoning, building a shared understanding will help the team support these decisions.

Lessons (not) learned

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people were the best part of the job. Clients could be exciting at times. When in dream mode, ideas would flow and possibilities seemed endless. The pay was fair, the vacation time was adequate and the sick leave was ok. Benefits were good at the time.

Cons

The lack of knowledge and know how from the higher ups was almost embarrassing. Sales was king and the rest of us were left to contend with unhappy clients, ridiculous scopes and of course the inevitable short turn time for delivery. The sales team had no prior experience in marketing and advertising and were selling things that were either impossible to build or painted us into a corner with timelines and promises that could not be met. Unfortunately, this was chronic and never remedied. There was no room for growth or personal development unless you were in an inner circle. Inner circle typically consisted of the people that the CEO saw fit to best represent his dream (ok, fair since it's his company), but if you didn't fit the mold you were most likely not going to be a part of his clique. The management team was out of touch or unable to connect with the teams, making it hard to follow their lead. Process was always being rewritten and expectations were most unrealistic when it came to revenue recognition. The environment was tense and any commentary outside of company lines was held against you.

Visit with other companies who do it right and see if you have any chance to course correct. Forget your "perfect" mold and find the best in the people you have. Be real leaders and put your people first from time to time.

Get out of your own way if you want to succeed

I worked at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people have always been the best part of the company. Somnio tends to hire young, fun, intelligent and creative people that contribute to the promising culture.

Cons

The management team presents a facade that they're open to fresh ideas, but the truth is the only opinions they care about are their own. A few people have even been "let go" for disagreeing with the higher ups. Most companies praise a healthy, debated conversation or a fresh take on an old method. Not at Somnio, though, because it truly is their way or the highway.
    The incompetent sales team is given the praise, reward and recognition that should be given to the real people who make the agency successful -- the account service and creative teams.
    The majority of the staff is overworked and underpaid. Working 50-60 hours is the norm for many, but the sales and management team always seem to clock out right at 5 p.m., if not sooner.
    The management team would rather buy unnecessary, fancy gadgets instead of giving their overworked and underpaid employees raises or bonuses.
    Many of the clients are extremely difficult to work with and borderline abusive. Instead of terminating the relationship at the request of the teams who are working with these clients on a daily basis, the management and sales teams would rather further extend the relationships instead.
    Inexperienced, ineffective and inefficient employees are kept around, promoted or put in positions they are vastly unqualified for while more talented individuals are kept in stagnant positions or even let go.
    Layoffs and terminations are handled very poorly. You can never get a straight, secure answer and are left to feel uneasy.

Listen to your employees and follow through on your promises. Somnio was on the verge of becoming a prominent player in this industry, and that was squandered through the mistreatment, disrespect and disregard of your employees.

Keep an eye on Somnnio.

I have been working at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team and positive work environment. Collaborative, trustworthy and hard working team. There are many talented people at the company and management does a good job of providing feedback for improvement. The team seems to respond and appreciate this.

Cons

Young team, but this contributes to the energy and culture. Beautiful office, but it's a bit of a drive. When working with large clients, there is a tendency to be pushed and pulled which can present a challenge from a creative standpoint.

Keep growing the client list and keep listening to the team.

Luck only gets you so far...

I worked at Somnio Solutions, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Somnio always managed to hire amazing people. Of course they never stick around because they know that their talent will be much more appreciated and valued elsewhere.

Cons

Where to begin? I worked at Somnio for close to 3 years. The first year was fun and challenging. It was a small company with immense talent and promising clients. As soon as we started to succeed and make money, things turned south. The executive team let it go to their heads and instead of continuing the hard work and supporting the team, they branched off into their own little group and silo'd themselves off from the people that built their success. To make a long story short, reviews were something you had to beg for, promises on raises and title changes were broken multiple times, layoffs were harsh and handled very poorly, and the leadership team just didn't 'get it' or they did and didn't care...at all. Smoke and mirrors.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. I feel like they don't care what the employees think of them or their practices so why bother?

Worked for Somnio Solutions, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!