Sonic

Cliff Hudson

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Carhop

San Marcos, TX

ProsHigh intensity shifts, good customer service

ConsHigh turnover rate for employees

Happy faces, angry/sad everything else.

Austin, TX

ProsI loved being able to rollerskate! Free food and making daily take-home tips were nice, too. The people who lived around my area were always nice customers as long as they were happy customers. Majority of the co-workers were friendly and easy-going. They also don't drug/alcohol test.. but they probably should for some positions. When management had itself in line (at another location) everything went so smoothly! They are the type of company that will hire almost anybody, especially kids fresh out of (or still in) high school.

ConsStarting out you only make $4.00/hr unless you skate, then it's $0.50 more, per policy, to encourage carhops to skate. We are by any means not allowed to let customers know that if we do not make up the difference for minimum wage, we can be written up for it and ultimately after 3 times, you can be terminated. I was at one location for roughly 2 years and had over 4 different GM's. VERY high turn over rate. The "insurance" they offer at this franchise wasn't very good for almost $100/person, either. The hours were awful and they only make the schedule for the following week. I quit just as they decided to change hours to 5:30am-MIDNIGHT, due to poor management. If you didn't catch on to it, they would schedule you twice in one day or not even at all. There were also sexual harrassment complaints from other employees that I relayed to upper management that went unheard. If you wanted anything done, you had to contact my store's GM's boss.. the district manager. Majority of the previous employees said that they had no training whatsoever, they just had to catch on. Just ridiculous! Do not even get me started on their sanitary procedures for the food handling. Let's just say that after working there, I will only be buying BOTTLED water and SEALED apple slices from this company, at this location. Forgot to mention, they messed up my last 4 paychecks resulting in me going down to the office and having to physically get it. The pay period is stupid, as well. We didn't get paid "Bi-monthly" it was twice a month, let me explain. The first paycheck (if you had direct deposit and they did set it up correctly) was usually on the 4th or later of the month. How do we pay rent that is due on the 1st?? If you chose a paper check it came 2 business days after those who got direct deposit, so let's say the 6th or so. The second time we would get paid (again, by direct deposit) would be roughly around the 19th/20th.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you should value your most important employees the most, the Carhops. They are the ones interacting with customers directly and most often. Even subway has training to be a sandwich artist, so why not to be a Carhop?

Provides a good part time job for students

Car-Hop (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGood tips as a carhop is the highest mark for the job. They also offer very flexible hours for college students

ConsKids that don't care. Having coworkers that do not care about customer service, cleanliness and punctuality are the most stressful part about a job like this

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to let these spoiled kids find a different job

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at McDonald's would of been an upgrade

Fountain (Former Employee)
    Hutto, TX

ProsThe food was made fast

ConsI saw more bugs than I saw employees wash their hands.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the buildings cleanliness

Good opportunity for the right kind of person

Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGreat opportunity to make money and being very hands on in all aspects of running a business.

ConsThe required hours are a grind and there is a high turnover rate among entry level employees.

Its a ok first job.

Cook (Former Employee)
    Buda, TX

ProsFast paced environment is ok

ConsGrease is gross to go home to.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise would have been nice.

Smells bad inside, nice people.

Austin, TX

ProsFlexibility, networking, and simple procedures make working at Sonic a nice in between job. I was given a raise as soon as the company policy allowed for one. It wasn't difficult to get days off when needed. The management was generally effective and promoted teamwork. Variety in chores, always something to do or be done. The management did nice things when demands were met. (e.g. an excellent secret shopper report equaled being publicly commended, or a pizza party, among others). The uppers did an excellent job of equally distributing favoritism amongst all employees. An end of the year White Elephant holiday party was a nice touch.

ConsFellow employees. Attendance, apathy, and lack of comprehension for basic procedure were hallmarks of the company. High turnover among lower ranking employees. Most shifts called for more employees than needed for the "rush" which was usually and hour to two hour part of said shift. After the "rush" had ended a few employees were sent home. If someone volunteered to go home early then this worked out. If no one wanted to leave then sometimes names were drawn from a hat, or employees were chosen based on how many hours they had worked in that pay period. For the people that needed the hours+tips it was always an upsetting thing to be sent home after a two hour work day.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo put more time and effort into finding intelligent employees. Obviously fast food doesn't require any of the lower ranking employees (e.g. cooks, carhops) to have a formal education. But, paying more and spending more time picking these people would result in less excess of people that have little comprehension of what's going on.

Worked for Sonic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sonic reviews and ratings in Austin, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sonic CEO Cliff Hudson. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Sonic employees.