Sonic Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated August 14, 2014

2.9

Sonic Chairman, President, and CEO Cliff Hudson
Cliff Hudson

Pros
  • Fast-paced, can be exciting, minimal wage plus tips if you're a carhop (in 15 reviews)

• Free drinks and slushed and the employee discounts and getting to listen to your music (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage pay for lots of grunt work and demanding customers, however (in 16 reviews)

• as a crew leader you don't have very flexible hours and you have work very long hours (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Carhop

Former Employee - CarHop  in  San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time for more than a year

Pros

High intensity shifts, good customer service

Cons

High turnover rate for employees

Hard job but the tips were nice.

I worked at Sonic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, tips, free food, great customer service experience, learning how to handle disgruntled customers in a calm manner.

Cons

Management had power trips, sexual harassment, the cooks barley spoke English, and a lot of the employees did not really care about their positions so they did not fully do all of their job duties correctly.

n/a

Horrible

Former Employee - Car Hop  in  Manor, TX
    Former Employee - Car Hop in Manor, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time for more than a year

Pros

The amount of tips you recieve

Cons

Outside 24/7, to much for less than 7.25 an hour

Pay better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Happy faces, angry/sad everything else.

I worked at Sonic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved being able to rollerskate! Free food and making daily take-home tips were nice, too. The people who lived around my area were always nice customers as long as they were happy customers. Majority of the co-workers were friendly and easy-going. They also don't drug/alcohol test.. but they probably should for some positions. When management had itself in line (at another location) everything went so smoothly! They are the type of company that will hire almost anybody, especially kids fresh out of (or still in) high school.

Cons

Starting out you only make $4.00/hr unless you skate, then it's $0.50 more, per policy, to encourage carhops to skate. We are by any means not allowed to let customers know that if we do not make up the difference for minimum wage, we can be written up for it and ultimately after 3 times, you can be terminated. I was at one location for roughly 2 years and had over 4 different GM's. VERY high turn over rate. The "insurance" they offer at this franchise wasn't very good for almost $100/person, either. The hours were awful and they only make the schedule for the following week. I quit just as they decided to change hours to 5:30am-MIDNIGHT, due to poor management. If you didn't catch on to it, they would schedule you twice in one day or not even at all. There were also sexual harrassment complaints from other employees that I relayed to upper management that went unheard. If you wanted anything done, you had to contact my store's GM's boss.. the district manager. Majority of the previous employees said that they had no training whatsoever, they just had to catch on. Just ridiculous! Do not even get me started on their sanitary procedures for the food handling. Let's just say that after working there, I will only be buying BOTTLED water and SEALED apple slices from this company, at this location. Forgot to mention, they messed up my last 4 paychecks resulting in me going down to the office and having to physically get it. The pay period is stupid, as well. We didn't get paid "Bi-monthly" it was twice a month, let me explain. The first paycheck (if you had direct deposit and they did set it up correctly) was usually on the 4th or later of the month. How do we pay rent that is due on the 1st?? If you chose a paper check it came 2 business days after those who got direct deposit, so let's say the 6th or so. The second time we would get paid (again, by direct deposit) would be roughly around the 19th/20th.

I think you should value your most important employees the most, the Carhops. They are the ones interacting with customers directly and most often. Even subway has training to be a sandwich artist, so why not to be a Carhop?

Provides a good part time job for students

Former Employee - Car-Hop  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Car-Hop in Austin, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good tips as a carhop is the highest mark for the job. They also offer very flexible hours for college students

Cons

Kids that don't care. Having coworkers that do not care about customer service, cleanliness and punctuality are the most stressful part about a job like this

Don't be afraid to let these spoiled kids find a different job

Working at McDonald's would of been an upgrade

Former Employee - Fountain  in  Hutto, TX
    Former Employee - Fountain in Hutto, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time for less than a year

Pros

The food was made fast

Cons

I saw more bugs than I saw employees wash their hands.

Pay more attention to the buildings cleanliness

Good opportunity for the right kind of person

Current Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sonic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunity to make money and being very hands on in all aspects of running a business.

Cons

The required hours are a grind and there is a high turnover rate among entry level employees.

Its a ok first job.

Former Employee - Cook  in  Buda, TX
    Former Employee - Cook in Buda, TX

I worked at Sonic

Pros

Fast paced environment is ok

Cons

Grease is gross to go home to.

Raise would have been nice.

Smells bad inside, nice people.

I worked at Sonic

Pros

Flexibility, networking, and simple procedures make working at Sonic a nice in between job. I was given a raise as soon as the company policy allowed for one. It wasn't difficult to get days off when needed. The management was generally effective and promoted teamwork. Variety in chores, always something to do or be done. The management did nice things when demands were met. (e.g. an excellent secret shopper report equaled being publicly commended, or a pizza party, among others). The uppers did an excellent job of equally distributing favoritism amongst all employees. An end of the year White Elephant holiday party was a nice touch.

Cons

Fellow employees. Attendance, apathy, and lack of comprehension for basic procedure were hallmarks of the company. High turnover among lower ranking employees. Most shifts called for more employees than needed for the "rush" which was usually and hour to two hour part of said shift. After the "rush" had ended a few employees were sent home. If someone volunteered to go home early then this worked out. If no one wanted to leave then sometimes names were drawn from a hat, or employees were chosen based on how many hours they had worked in that pay period. For the people that needed the hours+tips it was always an upsetting thing to be sent home after a two hour work day.

To put more time and effort into finding intelligent employees. Obviously fast food doesn't require any of the lower ranking employees (e.g. cooks, carhops) to have a formal education. But, paying more and spending more time picking these people would result in less excess of people that have little comprehension of what's going on.

Worked for Sonic? Contribute to the Community!