Sonic Automotive Reviews

66 reviews filtered by
2.7
Sonic Automotive Chairman and CEO O. Bruton Smith
O. Bruton Smith

Pros
  • Good People, nice facilities, lunch provided on Saturdays (in 5 reviews)

• Decent benefits and discounts a national chains (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • not very personable, long hours, no comraderie (in 6 reviews)

• If you are hourly and can't get your job done in 40 hours they switch you to salary then work you 55 - 60 hours a week for the same money (in 5 reviews)

1. good company to work for

I worked at Sonic Automotive

Pros

help you succeed and will will let you grow in their company. the management will make you feel important

Cons

pay is not so great

2. Good Corporation to work for. Awesome business plan and work ethics towards the auto industry consumer.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastically transparent and easy business model that facilitates the task at hand for the employee.

Cons

Even tough the corporation strives to be a great place to work and shop, it still falls in to the local management hands to put the corporate plan in action and it fails to follow the "new way" of the car business and they tend to fall back on the "old car lot" mentality.
    Too many hours on and very little time off.

Better treatment towards employees creates a more relaxed, more enjoyable work environment that motivates people to do better and care for the company, clients and fellow employees making everyone more productive.
    Positive reinforcement gives more results than a crack of the whip every day.

no room to grow

I worked at Sonic Automotive

Pros

issued a free ipad. helping customers find the car they need

Cons

backstabbers. it was a cutthroat environment

have a better pay plan

5. Great company and vision. Not so great execution.

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Really good training program. Also have awesome benefits and 401k plans. They are still in their early stages so there is tremendous opportunity for growth. Pretty good hours.

Cons

Work-life balance could use some working with. A more stable schedule would be nice, possibly go to a normal shift verses swing shifts.

6. If the company truly cares about their guests they will truly care about you.

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Beautiful facility, genuine concern for all employees and guests, all management on the same page and great leadership from an inspiring GM, Sanjay Prakash.

Cons

Long hours if you want to succeed. No dedication and commitment to excellence? It won't be tolerated for long.

Continue in your dedication to "One Sonic, One Experience" it is a tremendous,lofty goal but if anyone can do it Jeff Smith can. Please continue build up and foster middle management. They take a lot of heat but if they are secure, serene and inspired that will trickle down to us and can only serve to improve and inspire us.

7. eSales Agent

Current Employee - ESales Agent in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - ESales Agent in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Great Pay and usually additional monthly pay incentives

Cons

Hours; days you have to work 10a-7p

stay away from Sonic.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

relaxed environment. decent benefits.it could be a decent place to work if management gets it together

Cons

no room to go up. no promotions on merits. buddy -buddy system in place. mid level management only interested in keeping their jobs. too much corporate BS, not enough hand on. Corporate overloads the stores with fake overheads, and unreachable goals.

promote from within, value your employees and associates.

UN-ORGANIZED, NOT PROFESSIONAL

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

You get to experience how working in the car business really is and how it will change your life.

Cons

Everything is horrible about this job. Managers stress you out, I have a headache everyday I go home. I am salary, but with this stress level I am better off being commission. COLD CALLING JOB.

Get new corporate and management. We are stuck in the past.

No respect for employees time

Former Employee - Marketing in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Great benefits package. Seem to pay better than other companies in the area. For some staff the company issues an iPad and a iPhone which Sonic covers the cost for connectivity.

Cons

Very little regard to employees work life balance. Expected to work literally every weekend in addition to a full work week. There is the expectation that you will be connected at all times including holiday's, vacations, days off ect 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Management needs to address low moral and turnover rate at the company. Time management is a big problem. Meetings rarely start on time and end late.

11. One of the Best opportunities I've ever had

Current Employee - Guest Experience Center Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Center Agent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Very relaxed work environment with a fast-paced flow that'll keep you on your toes and leave you feeling accomplished at the end of the day. No job out there has zero stress but managers/team lead do their best to keep you grounded and the vibes in the workplace rivals any "cool" retail job I've ever had. The room for growth, especially starting on the ground floor, looks very promising. Work hard, play hard, and be diligent in your duties.

Cons

The pay can be slightly better. The company is in the process of launching new systems and ways of disrupting the auto industry. Its all new for every employee from top to bottom. There are things that need to be ironed out like some of the technology. Coaching agents could improve as well. The way I see it is this is just the beginning!

Pay close attention to your agents. Some are slaying it and may need the reassurance that its not going unnoticed. Others are just playing by their own rules and it may hurt the team, not only morale but in the goals we expect to be set.