Sonic Automotive

Updated January 25, 2015
2.9

Sonic Automotive Chairman and CEO O. Bruton Smith
O. Bruton Smith

Pros
  • Good People, nice facilities, lunch provided on Saturdays (in 5 reviews)

• Decent benefits and discounts a national chains (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • not very personable, long hours, no comraderie (in 6 reviews)

• If you are hourly and can't get your job done in 40 hours they switch you to salary then work you 55 - 60 hours a week for the same money (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

If the company truly cares about their guests they will truly care about you.

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Beautiful facility, genuine concern for all employees and guests, all management on the same page and great leadership from an inspiring GM, Sanjay Prakash.

Cons

Long hours if you want to succeed. No dedication and commitment to excellence? It won't be tolerated for long.

Continue in your dedication to "One Sonic, One Experience" it is a tremendous,lofty goal but if anyone can do it Jeff Smith can. Please continue build up and foster middle management. They take a lot of heat but if they are secure, serene and inspired that will trickle down to us and can only serve to improve and inspire us.

eSales Agent

Current Employee - ESales Agent in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - ESales Agent in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Great Pay and usually additional monthly pay incentives

Cons

Hours; days you have to work 10a-7p

One of the Best opportunities I've ever had

Current Employee - Guest Experience Center Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Guest Experience Center Agent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Very relaxed work environment with a fast-paced flow that'll keep you on your toes and leave you feeling accomplished at the end of the day. No job out there has zero stress but managers/team lead do their best to keep you grounded and the vibes in the workplace rivals any "cool" retail job I've ever had. The room for growth, especially starting on the ground floor, looks very promising. Work hard, play hard, and be diligent in your duties.

Cons

The pay can be slightly better. The company is in the process of launching new systems and ways of disrupting the auto industry. Its all new for every employee from top to bottom. There are things that need to be ironed out like some of the technology. Coaching agents could improve as well. The way I see it is this is just the beginning!

Pay close attention to your agents. Some are slaying it and may need the reassurance that its not going unnoticed. Others are just playing by their own rules and it may hurt the team, not only morale but in the goals we expect to be set.

This company gives you the ability to have a vertical upward movement for your career!

Current Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Over a 100 stores nationwide that you can transfer to move up. The company gives amazing benefits for technicians. They give you additional compensation for tenure as well as FRTFT and CSI!

Cons

You have to put in your hours and you have to be driven to try to always FRTFT.

Use you up and spit you out

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Car industry = income potential

Cons

At least at my dealership, managers are allowed to 'manage' in an explosive, emotional, childish and pride driven manner. Car deals are lost over pride, you are asked to do things outside your job with nuclear consequences if you decline. Benefits are being taken away on a daily basis. Little opportunity to move up.

Work WITH your team instead of AGAINST your team.

Sad place to work

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Job is not difficult and for beginners it might be a good place to learn.

Cons

Pay plan is awful. You will make minis on ever deal and the place is completely disorganized.

Automotive - Car Sales - Dealership - New - Pre Owned

I worked at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Good People, nice facilities, lunch provided on Saturdays.

Cons

No work/life balance. Work most holidays and Saturdays.

Submitted my invoice for services rendered and did not receive what was owed.

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Sonic Automotive

Pros

Zero zero zero zero zero

Cons

Unorganized misfits in suits and ties trying to sell that old 80s style of sleazy salesmanship to the honest hard working people in this country.

Became employee of Sonic Automotive when they purchased the dealership where I was employed

Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sonic Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health plan and well kept stores

Cons

Constantly changing pay plans to meet the corporations needs of a pre set percentage going to that departments payroll, favoritism shown to select employees

Listen to the people in the trenches as they are the ones having direct contact with the customers.

Disfunctional

Current Employee - Experience Guide in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, 401k, technologies, true price policy, one sonic one experience makes guest buying experiences easy. The direction Sonic is going is positive as it is trying to change the image of car dealership.

Cons

Disfunctional and bad communications. As an adult and an employee, you are treated like kids and they threatened associates job on a daily basis. There are way to motivate the moral of the experience guide (sales staff) instead of kicking you in the nuts and tell you to go do your job. The current regime of foreigners that is running the dealership do not seem to understand how to motivate sales staff but threat them like a dictator. The beating shall go on until morale improved.

Sales people can walk to any dealerships and get a job so stop the firing threats. Give credits to sales associate that do a good job and make the work place fun. We know what we need to do without reminding us how we get pay on a daily basis. ENOUGH. America's best place to work and shop has a long way to go.