Sonic Automotive

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sonic Automotive Chairman and CEO O. Bruton Smith

O. Bruton Smith

It is good at times other times it sucks!

Accounting (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy direct manager is wonderful and very flexible when needed!

ConsBenefits stink & are expensive, you get lot more work to do and no money, you get a raise every 3-4 years--it's a joke!! They preach that employee satisfaction is number one, does not really feel like it. They have an "anonymous" 800 number to call for complaints but it is not anonymous they always find out who called and when there are numerous complaints about the same person or problem--nothing gets fixed!!

It feels the bigger a-hole or b**ch you are, the further you get in the company!! I work for a few!!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what the employees have to say about a problem and fix the problem or don't ask and pretend to care and let things keep going the way it is

Don't give immature people power!!

Great Income Potential, No home life

Internet Director (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Income POTENTIAL is HUGE if you are a go getter in sales.

ConsThey forget the Sales Team drives their entire operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within.

Look elsewhere..not worth the headache

Manager (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Sonic Automotive full-time for less than a year

ProsGood product lines. 401k benefits were good.

ConsMany, disorganized is an understatement. Red tape, l believe each store is different and the GM plays an important role, my experience was not so good. He really did not want to know the challenges within his store. Lack of teamwork, no support from the GM. Huge disappointment, after much thought about moving to this store...I left after a very short time, it does not need to be so hard to do your job. Think twice about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what is really going on in your stores, perhaps a "secret shopper" type process to see how things are really going, but as a new employee and see how you are treated. Listen to your employees, seemed many were not happy about the direction, etc. but to afraid to say how they really feel. Make sure HR policies are followed, I resigned, but was given no HR separation PW from the company. Strange, especially for a company so large. Hold your GMs accountable for Managers leaving, etc and find out why. It may surprise corporate to find out the entire story.

Promotes it's own people over externals, values loyalty and innovation

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time for more than 10 years

Prosnever satisfied with current business, always looking to improve and innovate

Consconstant state of change, not for the faint-hearted

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the customer-based culture

Bigger is not necessarily better

Service Advisor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time for less than a year

ProsLarge client base, good money making potential

Consnot very personable, long hours, no comraderie

Company has a very good culture for the Automotive Industry.

Finance Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sonic Automotive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell Structured. Company has embraced technology with Apple. Sufficient training.

ConsPay plans don't reward for going above and beyond average sales. But pay good for average sales

Decent Company

Receptionist (Former Employee)

I worked at Sonic Automotive part-time for more than a year

ProsGood people to work with

ConsNo room for growth whatsoever. They only ending position you could really end up in was sales. Long hours and required to work on almost all holidays.

Not a place to work

Title Clerk (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere really weren't any other than lots of overtime to meet ridiculous deadlines

ConsThe whole thing went terribly wrong from the moment they took over my family owned company. No regard for anyone. No training whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want everything done your way (and you do) you'll need to actually train people.

Their corporate policy is good in theory...but never actually practiced

Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Hayward, CA

I worked at Sonic Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are decent, and if you get a good GM hours can be flexible. .

Consatrocious retirement plan, they say they care about their employees but they don't. The minute you start making too much money, they change the pay plan to where you have to sell double the amount to make half the money. When you start selling volume, they complain about profits. When you start making profits, they complain about not enough volume. I've taken training for upper management and have been certified and qualified for a promotion for three years...passed over for 11 promotions because a friend of a corporate friend wanted a job. This company hypes you up with rallies to make you feel like they couldn't do it without you, but in actuality will try squeeze the life out of you, until you get fed up and want to leave on your own. In all honesty, this employees should consider a collective bargaining tool.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssociates first. Without them, you wouldn't have a paycheck yourselves.

I would have to agree with previous posts

Service (Current Employee)
Plymouth, MI

I have been working at Sonic Automotive full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt's hard to find many pros, three weeks vacation and three sick days is nice, some really good people have worked here, but they have pushed them out.

ConsCan't run a dealer from out of state. Need to listen to local employees. Customer service is sacrificed due to there polices. If you are not in the "inner circle" it will be difficult. Inability to understand local markets and adapt to them. Walmart doesn't sell winter coats in Key West and bikinis at the North Pole.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are that unhappy with Michigan, "SELL US" so the rest of us can be saved!

Worked for Sonic Automotive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sonic Automotive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sonic Automotive CEO O. Bruton Smith. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Sonic Automotive employees.