Sonic

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Carhop

CarHop (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsGet a lot of hours, $4 an hour salary plus tips, minimum wage during training

ConsLearning everything to make

Great Fall Back

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    McKinney, TX

ProsWill always hire you back

ConsPay
    Benefits
    Hours
    Calls at all times of day
    Reliability of employees

Please, no.

Sonic Employee and Carhop (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsCan be good money carhopping long hours.( The only.reason i've worked for this company this long. I'm a college student and have to pay my bills. Ive been looking for a job with the same compensation for years and have trouble finding one. Too much self respect to work at somewhere like hooters and only had restaraunt experience so couldnt land any other type of job.
    Fast paced
    Meeting lots of different people
    Free drinks (most stores)

ConsYou can read so many other reviews about the hectic environment. and low pay, and I guarantee you all of those are the truth. Yes it varies by franchise, but when it boils down to it its the same company pushing the same values to corporare franchisees.
    But here's the main things:

Number one: management. A few are jems, but the majority are Either lazy, or they are creeps. I always wondered why at various stores I always worked with someone in management who was downright or subtly a creep.(I even worked or helped out at a store from 3 different franchises in the Dallas area and someone was always perverted. Its not uncommon to see managers "joke around" or favor a employee jjst because of their looks.Ive worked at sonic for years, after awhile, you hear all the stories and sexual assault lawsuits and secrets. feasable reason? Tax credit. May not be true, but granted companies can recievetax credits for hiring sex offenders, 'recovering' drug offenders, and those with assault charges on probabtion, it all starts to make a little more sense... I look back at myself when I was 16 working for this company before I knew this and am appalled to even think my daughter could work there.

Number two: breaks. Either they will make you take numerous breaks, to save the low percentage labor corporate mandates for their dollar, or you get none. Sure if you ask for one they can't deny it, but when you're the only manager, or the only carhop, get ready to wait 3 hours before being able to use the restroom without "customers waiting". Same concept with food, most stores don't even allow outside food, so you must eat sonic food (interesting this is a rule since employees must pay for the food.) And your food will go cold or stale long before you get a chance to eat it. As a woman not being able to use the restroom when needed can be horrible during certain days of the month..

Weather: its alright if you work on the inside, but carhopping, the weather can be horrible
     Corporate makes employees wear a certain kind of jacket (which you pay for) which are cotton threaded, thin, and cheap. So you must layer up, but regardless your fingers and toes will always be cold wearing skates. If its windy, you're freezing, subject the windburn and likely to lose your money as your trying to juggle change for multiple orders with 25 mph winds.you'll be sick a lot. and the heat? All stores i've worked at had cheap air conditioning units which couldnt handle cooling the building with the doors openkng and closing as orders got taken out. General managers couldnt afford to update them, and corporate wouldnt. They break often, and temperatures can reach high 80s inside, and 100 outside, plus the heat of cars. Heat stroke isn't uncommon here. when I was a teenager I fainted once from the heat, and the manager put me in the walkin freezer and went back to make drinks...

Anyway, it does very by franchise across the us. Some are probably better. But please be wary.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. Realize the mighty dollar isn't as important as someone's health or innocence.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Training

CarHop (Current Employee)
    Fort Worth, TX

ProsTips are always good

Interaction with customers

ConsTraining is AWFUL. I worked there for two weeks and only knew how to make drinks. One day the assistant manager gave me some cash and told me to start car hopping. I had NO idea what I was doing. I didn't have an apron to put my money in so I had to use my pocket. I was told I would be trained on how to give back change ( I was not) and how to use the computer.

Many of my co workers and MANAGERS would drink on the job and it was deemed as acceptable. I get that it is a fast food joint, but still.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to training your associates or you will be losing a lot of money.

Fun and Engaging

CarHop (Former Employee)
    Sachse, TX

Prosfun, mostly good tips (especially summer and happy hour)

Conscan get stressful, if it's really slow and you dont get tips, you still have to clock out @ minimum wage and you loose money

Advice to Senior Managementknow your employees' strengths and weaknesses

Good place to learn if you want to be in restaurant business!

Crew (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood place to learn if you want to be in restaurant business!

ConsBad place to be if you want to be in restaurant business! There is no room for creativity.

The experience of the dis arey in concept is a great experience to learn to deal with stress!!!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Allen, TX

ProsThere is always a place to clock in and pick up that check

ConsRelly just never ever had a negative moment at sonic.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring how you are hiring your gonna get the same results.

I was a car hop

Car Hop (Former Employee)
    Lantana, TX

ProsI loved working at sonic because of tips

ConsSmelling like tater tots after work

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Terrible

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Denton, TX

ProsEasy work and free food, cute carhops

ConsThe management and supervisors are incompetent and do not run an effective business, the employees are theives as well so watch your belongings and the money in the drawer! No chance of promotion beyond the assistant manager position, and from what I have witnessed that position is very short lived.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together

Good to get tips but not fun

CarHop (Former Employee)
    Little Elm, TX

ProsTips were good and the hours were flexible

ConsPoor work environment because of lower quality employees

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in higher quality workers

Worked for Sonic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sonic reviews and ratings in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sonic CEO Cliff Hudson. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Sonic employees.