Sonic

Updated January 9, 2015
2.7

Sonic Chairman, President, and CEO Cliff Hudson
Cliff Hudson

Pros
  • It was a fast-paced environment, but I enjoyed the feel and food of the place (in 20 reviews)

• great customer service experience, with tips you can really make quite a bit of money (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage pay for lots of grunt work and demanding customers, however (in 18 reviews)

• as a crew leader you don't have very flexible hours and you have work very long hours (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

The job sucks but I love my coworkers

Current Employee - Sonic Drive In Emplyee in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Sonic Drive In Emplyee in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Sonic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, team environment, working together, free drinks, great manager

Cons

No free or discounted meals for employees, poor upper management, mean customers, stressful

Fix things that are broken in the stores, and give more benefits to employees who are deserving of it.

CARHOP

Former Employee - Car Hop in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Car Hop in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Sonic

Pros

I got to skate around and hang out with my friends. Pay was good for what you would expect at Sonic. If I worked 10 hours on the weekend, I could expect to make at least 80$ in tips maybe more. There was free food and slushies pretty often.

Cons

Some customers don't tip because they think of it as fast food. If you work as a carhop, you should learn to skate because kids and adults appreciate it and it's more fun for you too.

Pay for workers to get skates.

Good Job for experience

Former Employee - CarHop in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good tips, co-workers very friendly

Cons

some management unorganized, lots of pressure, barely got time off even if requested

Don't try too hard... no one cares

Former Employee - CarHop in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Allen, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good tips at the right location-- highest paying entry level fast food job available. No experience necessary, sometimes preferred. Tips pay well over half of wages. The generous customers are the only good part about this job.

Cons

No sick days, no vacation, no prospect for raises, no overtime for carhops/crew members, no workers comp, no benefits whatsoever until reaching upper management. No compensation for skating-- skaters and walkers paid at same base rate of four dollars/hr. No discount for food, free drinks only while working (which I did not take advantage of; see next paragraph)

Highly stressful work environment, long hours which were quite often extended without any notice. Highly unsanitary conditions- mold throughout the store from the tea and soda nozzles to the slush and ice cream machines. Infrequently cleaned machines, fryer oil more like sludge and very rarely changed. Basic sanitary food handling and storage procedures ignored or never trained (should that raw patty be dripping onto the lettuce??? oh well)

Hard work and dedication not acknowledged or rewarded in any way. After 5+ years with the company as a skating carhop (called into work sick ONCE in all that time), I was let go because I threw my back out and was unable to finish a shift. I was not given any chance to see a doctor for a note. I was told that I could not fill out an accident report because I was not entitled to workers comp. Chiropractic care paid out of pocket- thank god for insurance (not through Sonic, of course).

Throw in the towel!! This company is going downhill quick!

Someone needs to update training requirements, especially those dealing with food prep, handling, and storage. Training videos/quizzes are completed by upper management to cut down on training time-- cooks receive training from other cooks who were never trained properly themselves. Also, with such meager pay for its carhops-- majority coming from customer tips-- management should offer sick days at the very least to prevent crew members from coming in ill, as I was forced to do many times.

I felt un appreciated.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager, Cook in Kaufman, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager, Cook in Kaufman, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I would not recommend this job to you.
    They have no respect for employees.

Cons

If sonic paid better that would be the only con of working there

Don't treat your employees like Crap by calling them monkeys and cursing at them..

Carhop

Current Employee - CarHop in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sonic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get a lot of hours, $4 an hour salary plus tips, minimum wage during training

Cons

Learning everything to make

Great Fall Back

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in McKinney, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Will always hire you back

Cons

Pay
    Benefits
    Hours
    Calls at all times of day
    Reliability of employees

Please, no.

Former Employee - Sonic Employee and Carhop in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sonic Employee and Carhop in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can be good money carhopping long hours.( The only.reason i've worked for this company this long. I'm a college student and have to pay my bills. Ive been looking for a job with the same compensation for years and have trouble finding one. Too much self respect to work at somewhere like hooters and only had restaraunt experience so couldnt land any other type of job.
    Fast paced
    Meeting lots of different people
    Free drinks (most stores)

Cons

You can read so many other reviews about the hectic environment. and low pay, and I guarantee you all of those are the truth. Yes it varies by franchise, but when it boils down to it its the same company pushing the same values to corporare franchisees.
    But here's the main things:

Number one: management. A few are jems, but the majority are Either lazy, or they are creeps. I always wondered why at various stores I always worked with someone in management who was downright or subtly a creep.(I even worked or helped out at a store from 3 different franchises in the Dallas area and someone was always perverted. Its not uncommon to see managers "joke around" or favor a employee jjst because of their looks.Ive worked at sonic for years, after awhile, you hear all the stories and sexual assault lawsuits and secrets. feasable reason? Tax credit. May not be true, but granted companies can recievetax credits for hiring sex offenders, 'recovering' drug offenders, and those with assault charges on probabtion, it all starts to make a little more sense... I look back at myself when I was 16 working for this company before I knew this and am appalled to even think my daughter could work there.

Number two: breaks. Either they will make you take numerous breaks, to save the low percentage labor corporate mandates for their dollar, or you get none. Sure if you ask for one they can't deny it, but when you're the only manager, or the only carhop, get ready to wait 3 hours before being able to use the restroom without "customers waiting". Same concept with food, most stores don't even allow outside food, so you must eat sonic food (interesting this is a rule since employees must pay for the food.) And your food will go cold or stale long before you get a chance to eat it. As a woman not being able to use the restroom when needed can be horrible during certain days of the month..

Weather: its alright if you work on the inside, but carhopping, the weather can be horrible
     Corporate makes employees wear a certain kind of jacket (which you pay for) which are cotton threaded, thin, and cheap. So you must layer up, but regardless your fingers and toes will always be cold wearing skates. If its windy, you're freezing, subject the windburn and likely to lose your money as your trying to juggle change for multiple orders with 25 mph winds.you'll be sick a lot. and the heat? All stores i've worked at had cheap air conditioning units which couldnt handle cooling the building with the doors openkng and closing as orders got taken out. General managers couldnt afford to update them, and corporate wouldnt. They break often, and temperatures can reach high 80s inside, and 100 outside, plus the heat of cars. Heat stroke isn't uncommon here. when I was a teenager I fainted once from the heat, and the manager put me in the walkin freezer and went back to make drinks...

Anyway, it does very by franchise across the us. Some are probably better. But please be wary.

Take care of your employees. Realize the mighty dollar isn't as important as someone's health or innocence.

Horrible Training

Current Employee - CarHop in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sonic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tips are always good

Interaction with customers

Cons

Training is AWFUL. I worked there for two weeks and only knew how to make drinks. One day the assistant manager gave me some cash and told me to start car hopping. I had NO idea what I was doing. I didn't have an apron to put my money in so I had to use my pocket. I was told I would be trained on how to give back change ( I was not) and how to use the computer.

Many of my co workers and MANAGERS would drink on the job and it was deemed as acceptable. I get that it is a fast food joint, but still.

Pay attention to training your associates or you will be losing a lot of money.

Fun and Engaging

Former Employee - CarHop in Sachse, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Sachse, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

fun, mostly good tips (especially summer and happy hour)

Cons

can get stressful, if it's really slow and you dont get tips, you still have to clock out @ minimum wage and you loose money

know your employees' strengths and weaknesses