Sonic (Internet and Phone) Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
20 reviews filtered by
3.6
Dane Jasper

1. Friendly. This job is like a family.

Current Employee - Tech Support
    Current Employee - Tech Support

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers. Free internet (provided you are in range). Great break room. Flexible hours. Good benefits. Pay is lower than average but I ENJOY going to work

Cons

Pay is lower than standard for our field. New things happen without full explanation so sometimes we are left flat footed.

2. Best Place to Work in Northern California

Current Employee - Project Management in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Management in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive Staff and management. There are tons of perks for employees, and it is an environment where you are free to use the skills you have, without tons of micromanagement.

Cons

I haven't really experienced any cons yet, if anything there are many people that want to work here, and have a hard time getting in. Sonic is growing quickly, and all I can say is be patient and try again.

3. Growing, lots of opportunity, innovative company

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone)

Pros

The CEO and the CTO are geniuses. They are also excellent leaders and know how to keep their team motivated.

Cons

Some of the staff is lazy or do not like change, and those people are having a hard time as the company grows.

Advice to Management

Keep applauding the people who are doing great work. It means a lot.

5. Tech Support

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone)

Pros

Great people, get to bring your dog to work, flexible hours.

Cons

favoritism, low pay, burn out easily, bad training.

Advice to Management

1, Train your employees better. Just because something isn't "supported" doesn't mean the customer is going to understand that. We need to right weapons in order to defend ourselves and help our customers the best we can.
    2. For all the lame calls and all the time you get yelled at (often about things that are "unsupported", you don't get paid very well.
    3. There is A LOT of favoritism that happens here. If you don't kiss the behinds of three certain people there, you're not going to go anywhere. You're not going to advance or be able to get the jobs that you apply for unless you're the bosses favorite. It's very unprofessional.

All in all, this is a great company because everyone pretty much is like family. They're great people and super nice and caring. There needs to be some serious overhaul though. It's not fair that you leave your employees so misinformed or sometimes not even informing them at all on some new product or update that we're doing.

6. A great place to work- don't believe the bad comments you read here on Glassdoor- see for yourself

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at Sonic for 5+ years and I would never want to change employers. Sonic takes care of their employees like they are family. Including management. There is an open door policy if you have something bothering you and the management is really concerned not only about your performance at work, but also making sure you are ok at home and on a personal level. They are genuine. The benefits keep getting better and better and offering what the employees have asked for. People need to remember that Sonic started as a start-up company just like all the Silicon Valley companies and they learn as they grow and the more profitable Sonic is, the more they can offer as far as wage and benefits! Sonic is a top employer of Sonoma County and they deserve it. Yes, the parties are wonderful and go over the top to show appreciation to the employees- but its the day to day actions that give management respect at Sonic. They also allow for entry-level personnel to learn new skills and grow, Sonic gives people opportunities.

Cons

I do not have any cons for my employer- people who work at Sonic should have respect for what we are doing and what we stand for. If there is something you are unhappy about, talk to someone about it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing- we respect you!

7. Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Team in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Team in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone)

Pros

The company culture is awesome, employee recognition is big and there is much opportunity for advancement. Smart leadership has resulted in the development of products and services that continues to grab market share. The back end support groups are very well organized to insure every customer comes first with support and service. The telecom industry is currently a hot industry to be in and Sonic is perfectly positioned with a great service model to enjoy future success.

Cons

Sonic only services the California marketplace. If they could reproduce this service model in other states, they would put AT&T out of business.

Advice to Management

Sonic is living proof that being well organized works!!!!!

8. Great coworkers, lousy pay

Former Employee - Operations in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very successful in recruiting young, hungry, talented staff. Great team spirit.

Cons

Salaries for most positions are generally below the 10th percentile for comparable positions in this area. Upper management is very uneven - some are extraordinarily good, others appear to be old buddies of Dane's who no longer perform any kind of useful function for the company. There are limited or no opportunities for advancement in most positions.

9. Work with a growing company doing good things.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Management cares about its employees and takes great care of us.
    - Culture is excellent - we've continuously won awards for being a Best Place to Work in the North Bay.
    - Great career growth opportunities; you're learning something new every day
    - Company values that you'll agree with; it's easy selling customers on this company because we're genuinely doing good things.
    - This company is growing so much....there are new things happening every day.
    - Free coffee and popcorn
    - Dogs everywhere!

Cons

I wish the working space was a little more open; it's cube city here. Also we keep getting new pinball machines which is cool and all, but not great for those who aren't Pinball Wizards.

10. There's nobody quite like Sonic!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- YOU GET TO BE ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS! Only 6 star privacy rating for an ISP by EFF. Net neutrality isn't even up for debate, these guys care about more than profits! "Customer comes first" mentality permeates every facet of the culture. Use your favorite search engine and look up some articles on them. There really aren't many for-profit companies where you can come to work and feel like you're making a difference in the world (or California anyway).

- GREAT PLACE TO LEARN! If you live in the North Bay and you're a young tech professional this is a great place to hone your customer service and tech support skills. They hire junior reps into SysOps & NetOps with little to no experience in that specific field!

- GROWTH, GROWTH, GROWTH! The company is constantly growing and they love to promote internally. Tech saavy & customer first mentality means relative certainty of moving up and increasing your skillset (and pay of course!). They're adding new products and areas of service all the time in Northern AND Southern California.

- EMPATHY & FLEXIBILITY. You're not just a number in a corporate machine. They will provide time off for personal issues and won't just fire you for anything. It should be noted this varies between departments.

- GREAT CUSTOMERS. This is more about the type of customer that Sonic attracts. They didn't even pay a cent for advertising until something like a year ago, they grew solely by word of mouth. You may have to go through the "walk grandma through setting up the emails" stuff on the consumer side, or stay up all night on the operations side, but you'll find that anywhere.

- FRIENDLY COWORKERS. People smile and say hi to each other, and they're always willing to lend you a hand (this is everyone in every department). Managers & Executives don't pull rank or act arrogant; everyone is very down to Earth. Everyone makes mistakes, and as long as you learn from them and pay attention nobody is going to rub your face in it. It's one big team that exists for 2 reasons: Providing people with the internet they deserve & making customers happy.

- BENEFITS. They may not be able to compete with the huge tech companies, but they provide affordable medical insurance and a 401k.

- BRING YOUR DOG TO WORK. I know a lot of people where this is worth a small fortune to them to bring their best friend to work with them. It's also a pretty cool feeling when you walk over to someone's cubicle with a pressing question or issue and get confronted by a happy dog. It can really put things in perspective when you're stressed out about something and get to pet or play with a dog while fixing something!

- PARTIES! Dane throws a killer company party at the end of the year at his own expense (it's different every year). If you work at Sonic, let's just say the end of the year is a very special time for every employee regardless of position. On top of that, monthly company meetings historically involve free food and beer. That's right, if you're of legal drinking age you can take the edge off while finishing up on a Friday with beer and the catered food of the month. It is wine country after all! There's also a very low-key Summer BBQ which I believe is historically more of a family event.

In summary, there's a lot of intangibles that get missed when viewing companies on Glassdoor. Salary isn't the whole story, and anybody that's worked for a huge company and been fired for basically nothing knows that it's not a good feeling. People rarely get let go at this company, and if they do it's because of something extreme. Whether you're looking for a job while going to school, an IT pro looking to branch into a new field, an enterprise salesperson, or even a programmer with years of experience Sonic is worth a look. Did I mention food, beer, parties, and bring your dog to work?

Cons

- Wages are traditionally lower than industry standards for the same job title in larger organizations. As they're growing this may no longer be the case.

- Depending on the department, you may find slightly higher requirements for dress code (ie Enterprise Sales), or extra stuff like 24 hour on-call duty (SysOps, NetOps).

- Management style varies greatly depending upon department. Some departments are rigorous in metrics and performance reviews, others are very hands-off and expect you to handle things properly. This is negative only if that particular style doesn't work for you as an employee.

- Primary consumer product (Fusion) is ADSL2+ which means slower speeds for customers far from a CO. Some customer's get 20Mbps, others get 3Mbps or less. Why would someone choose Sonic over big cable in these cases? 2 guesses, but you'll probably only need 1.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for what's right, don't become too corporate, keep hiring young and less experienced people with potential, and all the other things that define Sonic!

11. Little engine that could

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Sonic (Internet and Phone) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has been around for 20 years and has about 200 employees now. The company is a fraction of the size of it's big competitors. So, it's cool to get to work for the little guy - we're the ones with the great customer service and our customers love us. Culture is really cool: relaxed, dog friendly, pizza on Fridays, pinball machines etc. Staff gets lots of training and co-workers are great about helping out with problems or answer questions. The company seems to be always changing: lots of growth and changes are in the plans for 2015.

Cons

As the company grows it can be hard to make sure that the culture stays intact.

Advice to Management

Some cross-training and more promotion opportunities would be great.

Sonic (Internet and Phone) Photos