Sonic Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.9

Sonic Chairman, President, and CEO Cliff Hudson
Cliff Hudson

Pros
  • Fast-paced, can be exciting, minimal wage plus tips if you're a carhop (in 15 reviews)

• Free drinks and slushed and the employee discounts and getting to listen to your music (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage pay for lots of grunt work and demanding customers, however (in 16 reviews)

• as a crew leader you don't have very flexible hours and you have work very long hours (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good place

Former Employee - Cook  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cook in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Sonic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really great food, Fast service.

Cons

The speakers are hard to hear.

Corporate office - Highly variable depending on the department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Sonic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're in a good department with a good department head, the environment can be fun, fast-paced, and flexible. The salaries and benefits are mostly near industry standards. It's an 'open' environment, so most everyone has a cubicle, including many VPs which leads to a good amount of personal interaction and a collaborative environment.

Cons

The salary and flexibility varies highly depending on the department and supervisor. The lack of consistency in salary, work schedules, flexibility, advancement opportunities, and career paths is frustrating. The company puts a major emphasis on certain departments and allows them to run with little accountability, while other departments are expected to clean up the mess.

Work-life balance and accountability should be made a priority for all employees, not just those of particular departments and positions.

Great people, shaky money

Current Employee - CarHop  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - CarHop in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Sonic part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy Sonic because the people are very fun and nice to work with. They taught me everything really well and the environment is very comfortable. I'm primarily a night carhop, so I usually manage to take home $15 - $25 a night in tips, though that can be more or less depending on the time of day and how slow it gets. After working a month at Sonic I found I had over $600 saved up in tips. This job is really good for kids still in school because the management is very understanding of your schedule, and is open to working with you to get you hours while giving you time for other things. It's also a pretty easy job to get the hang of.

Cons

My first paycheck (one every two weeks) was only $130.88. Considering the job, it was reasonable, but as I'm planning on moving out on my own soon it's a pretty fretful thing. Tips aren't always constant, some nights you'll find yourself with only a few dollars to take home.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been working at Sonic

Pros

The best reasons to work there was open hours and good training.

Cons

Challenges were it was always busy.

Great Learning opportunities.

I have been working at Sonic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have always made great money in the 13 years I have worked with this company.

Cons

As the boss my personal challenge has been balancing home and work.

With dedication and consistency this is a great opportunity from within the company. With great income opportunities.

it was alright

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sonic part-time for more than a year

Pros

it was a okay first job. you just had to be nice to customers

Cons

there were no cons whatsoever.

For a first job, it was not so bad.

Current Employee - Car Hop  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Car Hop in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Sonic part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros to working at Sonic is that it's not like every other Fast food restaurant in town and that you get to bring home tips.

Cons

the cons was all the stuff they expected the car hops to take care of.

Don't give the car hops so many tasks to do.

A lot of work goes under appreciated

Former Employee - Skating Car Hop  in  Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Skating Car Hop in Longmont, CO

I worked at Sonic part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at Sonic is fun, especially if you get to work on roller blades. The environment is fantastic and working where you get to meet a lot of people is always fun.

Cons

When people who are inept are hired into management, it makes working extremely exhausting. Instead of cheering you on, they always find reasons to tear you down.

Be aware of who you're hiring into management and assistant management positions. These individuals need to understand how to respect those working under them instead of treating them like a door mat.

Very fast pace, physically intensive, always on the go. A lot of interaction between customers.

Former Employee - Fountain Worker/Carhop  in  Dripping Springs, TX
    Former Employee - Fountain Worker/Carhop in Dripping Springs, TX

I worked at Sonic part-time for less than a year

Pros

Well, you had a discount on food. Everyone seemed like family. When it would get swamped with customers, someone almost always had your back to help. Decent tips if you work your butt off and take care of your customers. Loved having regular customers who would ask for me when placing their order.

Cons

Always on the go!! You are constantly speed walking or running!! I honestly don't think sonic pays enough for their hard working employees. The food is good, and if you have a great manager and supervisors, then it makes it a little easier to get through the day. But bottom line... a lot of lifting, running, and trying to hurry to make sure the order is placed, made, everything is clean and on time.

I would say..be patient with your new employees who are new to working. I had a great supervisor but my manager pushed me way more than he should have when I had only been there for a week. He would get so mad when he would try to make me learn the switchboard and I would mess up on accident. also, get to know your employees.

Great High School Job

I have been working at Sonic

Pros

Great first job while in high school. If will to move, good opportunities to move up

Cons

Smell like grease after work

Worked for Sonic? Contribute to the Community!