Sonic Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.9

Sonic Chairman, President, and CEO Cliff Hudson
Cliff Hudson

Pros
  • Fast-paced, can be exciting, minimal wage plus tips if you're a carhop (in 15 reviews)

• Free drinks and slushed and the employee discounts and getting to listen to your music (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage pay for lots of grunt work and demanding customers, however (in 16 reviews)

• as a crew leader you don't have very flexible hours and you have work very long hours (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy faces, angry/sad everything else.

Former Employee - CarHop  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CarHop in Austin, TX

I worked at Sonic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved being able to rollerskate! Free food and making daily take-home tips were nice, too. The people who lived around my area were always nice customers as long as they were happy customers. Majority of the co-workers were friendly and easy-going. They also don't drug/alcohol test.. but they probably should for some positions. When management had itself in line (at another location) everything went so smoothly! They are the type of company that will hire almost anybody, especially kids fresh out of (or still in) high school.

Cons

Starting out you only make $4.00/hr unless you skate, then it's $0.50 more, per policy, to encourage carhops to skate. We are by any means not allowed to let customers know that if we do not make up the difference for minimum wage, we can be written up for it and ultimately after 3 times, you can be terminated. I was at one location for roughly 2 years and had over 4 different GM's. VERY high turn over rate. The "insurance" they offer at this franchise wasn't very good for almost $100/person, either. The hours were awful and they only make the schedule for the following week. I quit just as they decided to change hours to 5:30am-MIDNIGHT, due to poor management. If you didn't catch on to it, they would schedule you twice in one day or not even at all. There were also sexual harrassment complaints from other employees that I relayed to upper management that went unheard. If you wanted anything done, you had to contact my store's GM's boss.. the district manager. Majority of the previous employees said that they had no training whatsoever, they just had to catch on. Just ridiculous! Do not even get me started on their sanitary procedures for the food handling. Let's just say that after working there, I will only be buying BOTTLED water and SEALED apple slices from this company, at this location. Forgot to mention, they messed up my last 4 paychecks resulting in me going down to the office and having to physically get it. The pay period is stupid, as well. We didn't get paid "Bi-monthly" it was twice a month, let me explain. The first paycheck (if you had direct deposit and they did set it up correctly) was usually on the 4th or later of the month. How do we pay rent that is due on the 1st?? If you chose a paper check it came 2 business days after those who got direct deposit, so let's say the 6th or so. The second time we would get paid (again, by direct deposit) would be roughly around the 19th/20th.

I think you should value your most important employees the most, the Carhops. They are the ones interacting with customers directly and most often. Even subway has training to be a sandwich artist, so why not to be a Carhop?

Fast, Fun, and very learnable.

Current Employee - CarHop  in  Grandview, MO
    Current Employee - CarHop in Grandview, MO

I have been working at Sonic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts
    Great co-workers
    Regular customers tip well
    heck, just the tips

Cons

Rushes
    Understaffing
    Rude customers
    Employee Drama
    Not always getting the same hours every week

Please don't micro-manage everything. We're very capable of doing our jobs without being asked every five seconds.

Great first job for students or young people

Former Employee - CarHop
    Former Employee - CarHop

I worked at Sonic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting, Tips, Develop money handling skills

Cons

Customers can be rude, hard to deal with, and lie to get free things

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sonic ain't a good place to work

I worked at Sonic

Pros

Sonic is not a good place to work, they expect so much for so little, it ain't worth it... Ain't no damn pros at Sonic.

Cons

Racist, and low pay, trying to make 4.25 with some racist people then Sonic is the place for you.

Awful Job for Anyone

Current Employee - CarHop  in  Blue Springs, MO
    Current Employee - CarHop in Blue Springs, MO

I have been working at Sonic part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Bonding w/ other employees
    -Hours flexible (sometimes)
    -A lot of hours (if that's what you're looking for)
    -Sometimes you can have a lot of fun

Cons

-The Managers talk about every single worker behind their back. VERY unprofessional.
    -You're told to "bump and scan" even when the order isn't close to being done.
    -Managers will insult you to no end.
    -Training is very poor; you're basically just thrown into working.
    -High-stress job.
    -Even as a high school student, you're expected to go to school for 8 hours then work for 7. Where's the time for my homework? Or sleep? Because you obviously can't have a decent amount of both.
    -Customers are SO rude. You're told that "if you can't average out $2.50 an hour in tips, that you're just a bad carhop" which is false. Some customers are just jerks and don't tip. No matter how nice you are, it depends entirely on the customer. Some people would walk away with $5.00 at the end of the night, while others got over $40.00 (and those are the stoner employees).
    -Managers will ask you to lie on how many tips you got over the 2-week period so they don't have to pay you more money (unprofessional and not fair).
    -The managers show extreme favoritism, making the work environment awkward between the other carhops.
    -Even if it's completely dead, they refuse to send people home early. Can be a blessing, or a curse. In most cases, a curse.
    -Even when parents say that they don't want their child working past 9:30 on a school night, they'll keep you until almost midnight. It's ridiculously taxing.

Quit acting like 2-year-olds, and do your job. It's not that hard to act civilized.

Hard work is unappreciated

Current Employee - General Manager/Operating Partner
    Current Employee - General Manager/Operating Partner

I have been working at Sonic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Money is nice and they have good insurance package

Cons

You won't do anything but work

Upper Management is very punishing when you fall behind their overly high expectations. Emails from the president of the company are always hateful and negative. Never is there a positive

Fun and Engaging. Opportunity to advance and grow.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Sonic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They encourage an entrepreneurial spirit. Fun and interactive. Great repeat Guests. Owners are great to deal with, they encourage new ideas and suggestions. Competitive Bonus program. Fun competitions franchise and company wide. Advancement opportunities always available.

Cons

It's fast food. If you can handle it, you will love it. Sometimes long hours and a mix of nights and weekends are required to make sure the business is handled correctly. Training program needs to be more easily accessible and given time to complete.

Update equipment, feels like working in the 70's with the computer systems. More help with hiring higher level and skilled management.

Carhop

Current Employee - CarHop  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - CarHop in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sonic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get a lot of hours, $4 an hour salary plus tips, minimum wage during training

Cons

Learning everything to make

Lots of Work - 24 hour a day

Former Employee - Multi Unit Supervisor  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Multi Unit Supervisor in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Sonic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to meet lots of people in your community

Cons

You own the business and may get a call to do anything

Meh.

Former Employee - Cook  in  Harrodsburg, KY
    Former Employee - Cook in Harrodsburg, KY

I worked at Sonic part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job to have part-time. That's about it.

Cons

Only two cooks in the kitchen, when one goes on break and you get slammed with orders, you take the blame for how slow you might be going when trying to manage 20+ orders.

Training needs to be better conducted.

Worked for Sonic? Contribute to the Community!