Sonic Solutions Reviews

Sonic Solutions President and CEO Dave Habiger
Dave Habiger

1. Smart people

I worked at Sonic Solutions

Pros

The founders really believed in their employees and mentored them. Some individuals went from customer service roles to upper management.

Cons

At times there was a negative vibe.

Great teams, dwindling market - it's a shame

I worked at Sonic Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart engineers
    Interesting technology
    Great locations and good opportunity, if you ask for it

Cons

Focus on PC is/was ultimately negative
    Growth by acquisition results in duplicated effort, silos
    Senior leadership driven by wall street - inevitably

Advice to Management

Senior management (and the follow on owners) need to break out of markets that are not growing. IP litigation isn't really a growth market either, and it leaves the company with no future. Great if you're private equity, but...

3. Software engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Novato, CA

I worked at Sonic Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sonic solution had a pretty good product Roxio: not expensive and easy to use. The company located in the beautiful Marin county. It is a great place to work.

Cons

Nothing coming from my memory.

5. VEry good place to work at SONIC

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Sonic Solutions

Pros

All positive only
    good work life balance
    good growth

Cons

please let us know inadvance of acuistions

Advice to Management

none

6. Working for Sonic Solutions has been a positive growth experience for me.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at Sonic Solutions

Pros

Sonic has led so many technology innovations which has meant a lot of change at the company. Even in that ever changing technologies market, I felt that sr. management always demonstrated that they care about their employees. I was able to grow my career through promotions and learning opportunities. I feel that my salary was certainly mostly in-line with what I could have earned from other companies, but the opportunities for learning and growth was what kept me at Sonic. Overall, my experience at Sonic has been invaluable in positioning me for success in my future endeavors.

Cons

The only real negative things to say about Sonic are just about things that a company like Sonic didn't really have much control over. The massive efforts and expense to comply with changing Federal reporting regulations, industry-wide technology confusion, and a terrible economy, were all things that Sonic had to combat. I personally feel that they did the best they could have done.

Advice to Management

Thank you for many great years!

7. Very people friendly & supportive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Sonic Solutions

Pros

Very people friendly & supportive

Cons

No proper process in place

8. Very positive, I learned a tremendous amount and got to work on some very interesting projects

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Novato, CA

I worked at Sonic Solutions

Pros

Sonic creates/develops interesting applications and Management was not afraid to take chances and enter new markets. The employee base is largely enthusiastic and passionate about the work. Management is respectful and understanding

Cons

Given the nature of Sonic's businesses, there are hard deadlines that need to be met. The result is long hours at certain times of the year. In recent years there has been a reduction in some of the perks (i.e. 401K matching), but I suppose that's the norm at many companies.

Advice to Management

Continue to make smart business decisions and take risks. When profits rise, make sure you the benefits trickle down to staff.

9. Employees are treated as a herd

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at Sonic Solutions

Pros

You can create a liitle cacoon for yourself and pretty much focus on what you want

Cons

No support for innovation - very limited career growth

Advice to Management

Start having a long term vision

Confusing at best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Sonic Solutions

Pros

The one good thing about Sonic is that there is often a lot going on there - many different areas of business and certainly lots of comings and goings. In addition because there are many many offices around the world there are often opportunities to visit far off exotic locations.

Cons

However the company changes direction on a day to day basis. Things tend to lurch from one extreme to the other and often times this is done without any direction to the employees. This means that what was priority 5 one day should have been priority 1 a week ago, but no one was informed down the line.

Advice to Management

Explain the business model internally and the long term plan

11. Used to be good, not anymore!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Sonic Solutions

Pros

Flexible work hours. I've worked for several companies in the past and Sonic is the best when it comes to providing flexible work hours to its engineers. Work-life balance is very good. Great people to work with. Most of my colleagues are/were bright, smart, and team players. I never saw anyone at Sonic who behaved unprofessionally. Opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies.

Cons

Senior managements are absolutely incompetent. Stock options mess, yeah, I don't blame them for having stock options mess since that used to be the way how tech companies ran in the 90s. But how long did it take for them to cover from that mess? a year? a year and half? unbelievable. Companies like Apple, Broadcom and some other big corps recovered from their stock option scandals in much faster manners. How could a company like Sonic cannot recover within several months? And it is senior managements who are causing employee morale to sink. While they're cutting people left and right, they came up with year end bonus plans for themselves. I mean for what? Achieving a collapse of stock price from $20 to $1?
    Senior managements are always making excuses for their incompetence. If they were competent enough to achieve the goals and the promises made to employess and investors, they would have done that a few years ago. But since sometime they don't even know what they're doing, they are buying companies that don't really make sense for Sonic's future.
    Offshoring to China is causing everyone who still survived many rounds of layoffs to suffer. People know their days are numbered at Sonic. How can a technology company can survive without good engineers? Expecting engineers in China to be as good as engineers in US is just absurd. Most of US engineers are seniors or principals while engineers in China have much less industry experience.

Advice to Management

Please move the entire R&D to China ASAP and done with layoffs. To survive this market, you need to think about selling the company. Otherwise, you'll end up losing more people in the company and selling the company at much lower price.