Sonoco Products

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.2

M. Jack Sanders

Pros
  • Very good pay for employees compared to other companies in the area (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and work enviroment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town cliques within employee base (in 5 reviews)

• Very disrespectful to upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

80 + hours a week with unrealistic expectations. Drove me to the breaking point.

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Franklin, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Franklin, OH

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hourly workforce was great and supportive when working on projects and investigations.

Cons

"manager" didn't understand my role with the organization. Publically threw me under the bus multiple times. Expected to miss children's events with zero notice. Never trusted.

Quit trying to force people to relocate to take a different position. Some people are happy with their location and family life. Work to live, not live to work.

Awful. Simply awful. The kicker is it doesn't have to be this way.

Current Employee - Technician in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Technician in Canton, OH

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is above average. Great if you enjoy a lot of overtime hours. Safety is important to the company.

Cons

In a single word. Management. I have a very hard time believing and trusting just about anything I hear from upper management down to plant level management. Loads of overtime and bosses who seem to enjoy issuing write ups and punishment for minor infractions and some cases no infraction at all other than filling a quota. I regret every day of my life i spend in this place. Yes I know then find a new job. I'm working on it...

Reduce overtime. You're killing us. If safety is so important why am I and my do workers working 7 days a week with 12s peppered in? Hire competent managers and supervisors. Have some sort of system for raises. More transparency. Everything is a big secret that "came from corporate".

Crappy place to work for the most part

Current Employee - Press Operator in Franklin, OH
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Franklin, OH

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. People I work with are pretty friendly, Practice safety and really seem to follow through when you come up with ways to do it better.

Cons

This place has no culture or morality policies. The supervisor's are two faced and there always seems to be some drama going on, mainly started by the supervisors who talk about things they shouldn't be talking about to other employees about other peoples situations. Very disrespectful to upper management.

Start doing your job, deal with things you know are happening.

Underbid, Lie, Stall and in the end never deliver

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity early in your career - but once you have started to learn the difference between wrong (Sonoco way) and right - you will find it is time to move on.

Cons

From day one - Sonoco sets its employees up to fail. They won a contract at a large CPG company by underbidding the competition - knowing full well that they could not deliver on what that contract without hiring additional staff to service this major account. This never happened, so the entire time the management is saying - yes we can deliver X on that schedule, they know it is impossible.

When that rubber meets the road and the client calls them on their inability to deliver on time on budget - those same senior managers take responsibility for the issue and simply hang the lower level employees out to dry

Start being honest with your clients - and spend what it takes to hire enough people to do the job properly.

Stepford wives club

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sonoco has lots of cash and spends capital appropriately. Upper management is very good at financial management.

Cons

Middle management is very insecure based on lots of change and uses politics to position and insulate themselves out of fear. Business skills are not really valued unless you're one of the boys. Hartsville is bad place.

You need to understand what's really happening in your business and how talent is being disenfranchised. Your one size fits all talent assessment model is EEO friendly but not serving you well.

asbestos infested, terrrible place to work

I have been working at Sonoco Products

Pros

long lunchs, lots of breaks

Cons

mangaemant, pay, peoples, work environemnt

wake up

Could be better

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Other hourly employees are great to work with. Pay is ok but only because of overtime. Very little weekend work.

Cons

Supervisors need to be "leaders" instead of "bosses", spend less time on petty write ups and more time being part of a team.
    Techs expected to take after hours calls to troubleshoot faults over the phone (without pay) but will be disciplined and docked pay for being thirty seconds late in the morning. Techs are expected to be "experts" in multiple crafts but pay level doesn't reflect this.
    Company claims to be "family friendly" but expects overtime with little or no notice. Time off for medical reasons or family emergencies is frowned upon.

Get rid of the "occurrence system of points. The few bad employees play the system and good employees get tired of being treated like naughty school children.
    Stop giving plant managers a month's notice of impending corporate visits, giving them time to whitewash the place. Drop in unannounced and find out what's really happening at plant level.

Brown Nose Heaven

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay hours thats it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it

Cons

Management hands down buddy system is in affect here production employee's are losing they're voice cant really speak on things and insuranxe

be fair lose buddy system look out more for people that make your products and stop treating them like children

Manager

I have been working at Sonoco Products

Pros

Flexible place to work as the Operation Manager is not on site all the time and when they are Corporate has them in so many calls and meeting they truly can not focus on managing their staff or plant. Any member of our staff can fly below the radar and get by doing very little with no true accountability for it. If someone is looking for a place to slide by, then they should look into working at the Portland facility.

Cons

Minimal pay for the hours that you put in as a staff. Benefits are middle of the road at best. Leadership at the plant levels, in Portland anyway, are a joke at best. Favoritism, Sexism, Racism are then norm. Old school they say, you bet! One day our team is going one way, the next, in another direction. Just seems like little to no business plan as long as we hit the numbers. Oh and safety it is important but when incidents do occur be ready for pressure to be applied to cover it up or make sure it wasn't work related.

More like advice to Corporate here: get some help into the Portland facility to dig into what is truly going on there. Talk to former employes at both the hourly and salary levels. Do a deep dive as it is not going to be an easy task finding out what is going on and people that will talk. Still willing to give Sonoco a chance, however way too much of the former companies mentality at this facility.

Total lack of recognition of dedication & effort. Distrust is rampant at all levels. Company lacks direction.

Former Employee - Production Management
    Former Employee - Production Management

I worked at Sonoco Products full-time

Pros

Decent pay & benefits, generally safety minded, some good people, plenty of opportunity to get involved

Cons

High burnout rate, little support for middle management, expect senior leadership to undermine you & deflect blame your direction, low margin business model, punishes bad news & rewards office-politicers

Support the leadership in the plants that are struggling to make this happen with bare bones staffing & financing, tough work conditions & maximium hours. Reevaluate some of the low margin business segments you are in & cut them loose.

Sonoco Products Photos