Sonoco Products

www.sonoco.com

Sonoco Products Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Sonoco Products – Hartsville – “Sonoco Statue - People Build Businesses”

Sonoco Products – Hartsville – “Sonoco Statue - People Build Businesses”

M. Jack Sanders

Pros
  • Sonoco offers many positives which include opportunities for advancement, access to senior management, and good pay for the area (in 6 reviews)

• Great management, employees are empowered, very open atmosphere, fantastic people, very competitive pay (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town cliques within employee base (in 5 reviews)

• Very disrespectful to upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Total lack of recognition of dedication & effort. Distrust is rampant at all levels. Company lacks direction.

Production Management (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay & benefits, generally safety minded, some good people, plenty of opportunity to get involved

ConsHigh burnout rate, little support for middle management, expect senior leadership to undermine you & deflect blame your direction, low margin business model, punishes bad news & rewards office-politicers

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the leadership in the plants that are struggling to make this happen with bare bones staffing & financing, tough work conditions & maximium hours. Reevaluate some of the low margin business segments you are in & cut them loose.

By far the worst place I have ever worked

Production Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsDemanding job, chance to showcase skills
    Constantly moving, never bored

ConsMicro-management to the extreme
    Weak mid level management

Still doing business in the dark ages.

ProsVery good pay structure.
    Excellent focus on safety.

ConsDoes not embrace technology.
    Poor capital reinvestment.
    They run every business as if it is a paper plant.
    Most politically driven good ole' boy network I've ever been around.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some fundamentally bad decisions made at a very high level.
    Cronyism is rampant in this company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MBA Sourcing Internship

Strategic Sourcing Intern (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent people. Directed training. Meaningful projects.

ConsLocation. Hartsville is a tough place to live as a young professional.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance. Competitive pay. Good career/succession planning for those fit desired profiles.

ConsCompany struggling to catch up with technology advances.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on growing various business sectors and invest in developing customer relationships.

Good place to start a career

Process Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSonoco paper mills are small operations that allow you to get to know the entire process. Great experience for an engineer just starting out. They also invest in training for their employees.

ConsThe Sonoco organization, at both a mill and corporate level, appears to be very dysfunctional. In my experience, most of the management was very two-faced and creating a negative atmosphere. Also, their benefits and salary compensation are below par in comparison to other paper mills.

Old mentality - But very strong and solid company.

Corporate (Current Employee) Hartsville, SC

ProsThe culture is based around people building business. You are both challenged and supported by your peers. Safety is always the number one concern.

ConsHartsville is a small town with very little to do outside of work. The mindset is also old. Technology does not have a Global footprint yet. The opportunities to work abroad are there but are hard to come by. Expat program should be strengthened.

Advice to Senior ManagementSonoco has given alot of money to help revitalize Hartsvillle, but the town also needs the physical support of upper management to participate in town, community & economic development sessions in order to make Hartsville a selling point for visiting customers andnew hires.

Rewarding opportunities

Production Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsSonoco really gives you a great opportunity to be a better leader, they will provide you with a variety of training to set you up for success. Their compensation and benefits packages are very rewarding!

ConsBe prepared to put in some significant hours! Some of the safety policies and procedures are a little over the top. All of their plants are setup with the very minimal salaried staff, you will wear multiple hats.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to recognize those individuals who are building your business.

Sonoco has a great history of rewarding employees and shareholders.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hartsville, SC

ProsThe company has a great team of professionals who continue to make the company a vibrant and financially rewarding place to work.

ConsCorporate headquarters is located in a small town which may limit social activities; it is a great place for families but more challenging for singles.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep providing dividends to shareholders.

Management Trainee Program

ProsStructured yet flexible program to help develop college graduates into operations management type roles.

ConsTraining/exposure is time sensitive. May be in the program a short time with minimal exposure or in the program longer than expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart the day to day operations exposure earlier.

Worked for Sonoco Products? Contribute to the Community!