Sonoco ThermoSafe Reviews

CEO

1. press packer

Current Employee - Press Line Worker in Pardeeville, WI
    Current Employee - Press Line Worker in Pardeeville, WI

I have been working at Sonoco ThermoSafe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Union job good pay for this area

Cons

Hot in the summer months

Advice to Management

they need to try other hiring agencies besides Remedy

2. Lack of development and opportunities for own advancement

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Montgomeryville, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Montgomeryville, PA

I worked at Sonoco ThermoSafe

Pros

They gave me a basic understanding of an engineering. The people were friendly and helpful whenever I had questions.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover while i was there. Never gave me feedback about my performance. Had to do menial tasks frequently. My development plateaued after the second month, possibly due to the lack of time everyone had or because of my performance.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in co-op development. Give more feedback to interns about performance.

3. You get what you put into it.

Former Intern - Engineer Intern in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Intern - Engineer Intern in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Sonoco ThermoSafe as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on lab and project experience. You're able to work on a project from start to finish. You definitely advance your communication skills since it's a fairly close knit community.

Cons

Performing the same responsibilities day to day. Nothing too exciting happens in the office and it's easy to count down the day.

5. Good

Current Employee - Packaging Engineer
    Current Employee - Packaging Engineer

I have been working at Sonoco ThermoSafe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many people work from home which is excellent if you have a family. Friendly people who will generally help each other.

Cons

Insurance premiums and insurance itself is rather mediocre. Not much in the way of benefits above what any other company of the same size would provide. Sub par 401k matching .50cents/$1 for upto 5% of salary or so.

6. Account manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sonoco ThermoSafe

Pros

Decent salary, insurance , good engineers

Cons

Unstable upper management, lack of continuity

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Make decisions

7. Invest in your employees and trust them to take care of the customers

I worked at Sonoco ThermoSafe full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working with the employees at Thermosafe. In working across the organization you see the dedication and ownership of most employees. Projects are always interesting and allows you to work with others in the organization.

Cons

Senior management seemed to struggle with priorities and making decisions based upon those priorities then sticking with the decision. Priorities would change and only those in the room knew of the changes and no one emailed others of the decisions.

Advice to Management

Communicate priorities to the entire team.
    Be honest with personnel
    Stop playing favorites

8. Limited growth when you excel in your current role

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Sonoco ThermoSafe full-time

Pros

I enjoyed visibility of top tier management and how they appreciated the bottom line workers. They showed concern for safety and overall satisfaction. They were interested in hearing about ways to improve business and over time became more interested in developing teams to implement some changes.

Cons

When interviewed I was told they were looking for someone to grow within the company, but whenever people within my department consider moving into a role the "emotional aspect" of having to find someone to fill the vacant spot was made known before saying congratulations. They tell you you're doing a great job, but don't allow you the opportunity to move into another role to advance your career.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to evaluate their immediate supervisors or managers. Upward communication during the performance review is very one sided. Management needs to know how they can improve as well as the employees. When it comes to the employee review, if the employee hasn't been with the company for a year their review should wait until they've had a full year to be assessed. Invest in your employees so the option is to work from home. Not only for the account managers, but for all the employees. You want quality candidates and for people to stay with the company as loyal employees, but don't offer ways that not only benefits you but them.

9. Was great until I transferred due to their closing the facility.

I worked at Sonoco ThermoSafe

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Employee benefits

Cons

Elimination of older employee, with over 30 years employment at company, instead of attempting to relocate to use expertise elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Have a heart

10. It is a great place to get work experience. The people are great and you learn to work under minimum supervision.

Former Intern - R&D Intern in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Former Intern - R&D Intern in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I worked at Sonoco ThermoSafe as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are generally very helpful. It is a great place to learn how to be proactive. The collaborative culture really encourages taking initiative. The more you apply yourself the more you will get out of the experience.

Cons

It can become repetitive. There are still much room for improvement in terms of how things are done. There isn't very much encouragement to learn more than what is necessary to do the basics of one's job.

Advice to Management

The co-op and internship program should include experience in a broader range of positions. This will help interns to understand the bigger picture better. Weekly feedback to the intern is crucial to helping him/her grow.

RSS Feed </> Embed