Sonos
www.sonos.com Santa Barbara, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Sonos Reviews

Updated Mar 17, 2014
Sonos – Santa Barbara – “Salsi break room”

John MacFarlane

Innovative but challenging

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Sonos full-time

ProsGreat company, hip innovative atmosphere, cool products (market leader in wifi speakers). Lots of employee perks and amenities, you can choose east coast (Cambridge) or west coast (Santa Barbara) locations.

ConsExperiencing rapid growth pains. Organization is a little unfocused and disorganized, R&Rs and expecations between departments not always clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome departments need a little more strategic vision.

Great place to work

I have been working at Sonos

ProsGreat pay, great perks, great location.

ConsCompetitive, love to cycle through interns

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste the money you spent on interns... HIRE THEM!

Unable to hire Director level staff to save their lives

Senior SQA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent Individual Contributors with whom to work. Some of the best UX, and the technical expertise in networking and sound is impressive.

ConsSenior management has a few over-promoted techies who are ruining the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome on guys.. get your act together for hiring Sr. Directors! Choosing a director from an industry segment (like gaming) with completely different business requirements is folly. Your collection of Directors kept around but 'out to pasture' will eventually be noticed by investors.

Having great experience working here

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Sonos part-time for less than a year

ProsGood culture, growing company, perks are good as per location..Excellent opportunity to learn new things from senior persons.

ConsTill now enjoying working here

Amazing technology, cool brand, high quality product, unethical and ineffective management.

Director of Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked for Sonos during the serious growth years. It was a cool place to work with some great folks always striving to grow the business. The culture at that time was one of hard work, fun working environment and one of great rewards. The products launching at that time were industry changing products that began to shape the audio industry.

ConsOver the past 2 years Sonos has undergone many drastic changes. The culture has shifted to more of a large company full of obstacles. The culture is now one of great mistrust among people internally and has spread to many of the functional areas of the company including; sales, marketing and even product management. It's become a very challenging environment to work in. People's general lack of trust, rumors and generally negative feelings along with the all the changes in management have really taken a toll on morale and the people who have been at Sonos for more than a few months or even 1-2 years. The levels of frustration have risen across disciplines causing many people to question their reasons to continue working at Sonos. Many feel that they need to stay because they need the stock option payout because they have been paid such low base salaries. Overall it's become a very tough culture and difficult place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome advice for management both upper and mid-level management is to work feverishly to fix this culture of mistrust among employees and departments. Management must address; trust, employee morale and they also absolutely have to deliver on their promise to building great products and getting them to market. In addition to the all the internal improvements that need to be made, they also must engage with their customers and the market in a positive and honest way.

Awesome people working together to create an amazing product in a musical environment.

Human Resources (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Sonos as an intern for less than a year

ProsAll employees are enthusiastic about Sonos products. Music is played from every corner. So many learning opportunities. They stress the importance of teamwork. They know the true meaning of "work hard, play hard."

ConsGreat location but building is a little small. Communication with other offices (Cambridge and Hilversum) can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication among managers could improve.

Tries too hard

Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Sonos full-time for more than a year

ProsStart up feel, American company, Santa Barbara head quarters, cool products, focus on music

ConsLack of strong leadership, no performance management, high involuntary turnover breeds culture of fear, CEO tries to apply enginerring logic to leadership, CEO is difficult to work closely with and seems to enjoy that reputation, highly arrogant senior leaders

Advice to Senior ManagementAckowledge what you do not know, Management is not engineering, people are not perfect, challenge each other (including CEO) don't be afraid to fail.

Interesting but flakey company that may not succeed

Platform Engineer (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at Sonos full-time for more than a year

ProsInteresting products very innovative market. If you like music this is a good place to be

ConsCrazy marketing, management issues that will keep it from growing. California mentality in a Boston market.

Advice to Senior ManagementReign in your outliers in management

Growing fast, wear your seatbelt, but it's a fun ride

I have been working at Sonos full-time for less than a year

ProsCool vibe, great products (and discounts), music industry ties and recognition of brand, fun people. Mission driven.

ConsCan't hire fast enough, high growth expectations lead to high pressure

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Low pay and bad management

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at Sonos full-time for less than a year

ProsEmployee discount on Sonos products, great product by the way , as a software engineer I loved working with some of the smartest people around.

ConsBad management, low pay compared to other companies, no social life at Sonos , everyone keeps to themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing people

Worked for Sonos? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sonos reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sonos CEO John MacFarlane. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Sonos employees.