Sony DADC Reviews

Updated October 7, 2014
Updated October 7, 2014
2.4

Michael Frey

Pros
  • Great benefits, excellent workforce with a company drive to engage employees (in 5 reviews)

• Great people, Nice atmosphere working on the lot (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes wrong people put in positions to manage people (in 3 reviews)

• Also, often times there is no clear growth plan for employees (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyable experience

I worked at Sony DADC as a contractor

Pros

Great name to have on the resume
    Large network

Cons

Goals were not clear
    Disgruntle employees

Nobody wants to be a temp long-term

I worked at Sony DADC

Pros

Pay is decent for full time employees. Friendly enough atmosphere. Most teams back each other up when needed. Coworkers have friendships outside of work, and groups get together after hours. All in all, it's a great social experience.

Cons

Temps only get contract extensions, and are paid quite low. DADC always puts off hiring until it becomes dire. At that point, 75% of the temps walk or get the axe. Management is extremely disorganized. There is a merge occurring, and nobody seems to know what is happening and where people are going. They're shoving people into desk space and offices like mismatched puzzle pieces.

Hire people...you know they're good. Don't let them slip away.

Was ok right up until they laid everyone off

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony DADC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Look, the pay was fine, the benefits were good - no complaints there. I had a great boss when I started, then he left. We worked on the Sony lot, so that was cool and you would see some random celebs. If you get in the right group then maybe you can have a fun job.

Cons

The great boss left, the company lost interest in what we were doing, our team was cut down, the writing was on the wall..and then I heard the voice of HR saying "We're sorry, we're laying you and the rest of your team off.." So that was a bit of a Con.

I don't even know - I guess don't tell people things are great and that you believe in what they're doing and then lay them all off?

Love the people, management... not so much

Former Employee - Software Developer in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony DADC as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great location being on the Sony Pictures lot, rarely a dull moment going to / from work. There's a bunch of nice locations nearby to eat as well. The people that I worked closely with were awesome and friendly (though there were some animosity with a few people in other departments...).

Cons

First of all, HR is a mess. I had a headache even to get paid. I am calm now but looking back, I was very irritated about all the false promises, lies, and highly political atmosphere. We've always had to tiptoe around people's feelings and those who were successful were the ones who were liked by the right people even though they themselves had a poor performance.

Focus on those who genuinely want to do good work and be open to listen to new ideas. I feel like many issues stem from the fact that resources fall into the wrong hands. Also, be willing to adapt to change.

What i thought to be a good oportunity turned out to be a big joke.

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Sony DADC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get four days off a week, the only good thing i have to say about them.....

Cons

The people that work there act like they are in high school, not a good working environment at all.

they need to train their new people better, and pay attention to what is really going on inside their company , instead of sitting in their big offices all the time.

Company drove continuous improvement day and night

Former Employee - Production Supervisor
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor

I worked at Sony DADC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent workforce with a company drive to engage employees. Company offers mandatory and volunteer training classes to develop the workforce.

Cons

Losing a large percentage of the disc market to the competitors, long term outlook is gloomy for this company

Need to improve communication of improvement projects

Manager

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony DADC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the leaders in Digital Media and technology

Cons

Sometimes unorganized, moral is bad, not a fun place to work

What was once THE place to work. Not so much.

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at Sony DADC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Easy. Not much manual labor.

Cons

Employees are treated like idiots. If you are not buddies with upper management, you are not going anywhere. Too much wasted time with allowing techs to come in to either get their 40 hours or overtime as most of the time they are useless and sit around. If it is not their home shift, they don't care.

Stop bending policy for some. Pay your employees for the job they do. Too many differences in wages from employee to employee for the doing the same work.

Fantastic work/life balance comes at a price

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Sony DADC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company-issued gadgets, very flexible in terms of work/life balance, great ability to work from home when needed (child is sick, appointments, etc), very good management team (for the most part).

Cons

HR team (LA) is severely incompetent. In years with the company HR hasn't done anything correct from a first attempt. They lost my signed offer when I was starting at DADC...never answered e-mails in timely fashion (which meant delays in staffing/interviewing process for my team), never answered a direct question. This HR team definitely carries the torch of gross incompetence. If YOU are joining DADC in LA then monitor every comm with HR and follow up relentlessly and proactively as they are reactive and leave an impression that they don't like to be bothered.

Clean up HR dept

So much promise, so little delivered.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at Sony DADC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting process and technology. Most lower tier employees competent and willing to help support you. Family type atmosphere in most cases with some supervision and almost all hourly workers. Fair pay and decent, but not great, benefits.

Cons

In big time cost cutting mode at present as the industry is past its peak. However, management positions still being created despite cuts of lower tier positions. Advancement opportunities not made clear or even discussed. What advancement there is is via the buddy system in most cases. Too many high level positions now staffed by persons who have not been promoted from within, but instead brought in from the upper echelons of other failed optical media manufacturers because they can be cold, unfeeling "hatchet men". These people have no connection to the company's past or its employees. Micromanagement in many cases. Need I continue?

Eliminate the upper management that has no history with the company. Engage your workforce and look for leadership opportunities from within. You might be surprised with what you have right under your nose.