Sony Electronics

Sony Electronics Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Sony Electronics President & COO Michael Fasulo

Michael Fasulo

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is better than most, and compensation is above industry average"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Great company to work for with great people"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance can be off during peak period which can be most of the time"
    in 11 reviews
  • "There is NO strategic direction or vision offered by senior management"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun and Love it

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Aurora, IL

ProsYou work with great employees and the environment is exciting. Learning new product every now and then made the job enjoyable.
    Lots of benefits

ConsIt can get really competitive with commission

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great.

Good work environment, just suffers in creating an identity and sticking to it

ProsFun place to work. Very loose and inviting. I enjoy getting an inside look at what a big company looks like from the inside.

ConsManagement seems to be a revolving door. Sony suffers from being too big and is slow to react to any new decision, often causing them to be behind other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to be new and different. Times change. The same model doesn't always work.

Decent company that lost touch with the market stream

Premium Service Technician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt's tough to get fired here unless you threaten some one physically or sexually. Everything else seems to go pretty well. The management team are nothing but a bunch of corporate cheerleaders which makes work easy since you will be the one making all the important decisions.

ConsManagement is lazy and not as attentive as management of the past. The corporate perks are are basically nothing (sales items for regular retail value are sometimes cheaper).

Advice to Senior Managementtry being the ones watching the competitors again like in the past. Tell employees of what you see in terms of promos and sales tactics.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good while it lasted

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsCool to be on what was the cutting edge of new technology, good benefits. The people who have survived the cuts are good and talented.

ConsHave just gone through cuts of 1/3 of employees, those remaining are getting titles cut while taking on more work. Future does not look bright.

Work for Sony for many years

ProsPeople I worked with were great and extremely hard working.

ConsThere were a large number of layoffs.

Great place for working

Software Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsContinuous knowledge increase, always there is something to learn on new technology and innovations. Working there allowed me to be on the top of the latest features for electronics devices

ConsThere are not cons at all except the work force reduction for Design and operations group in USA

Good company, horrible management

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Aventura, FL

ProsGreat discounts, good pay with commission and bonus, coworkers are great.

ConsCompany changes too often Sony doesn't know what to do with their company anymore. One day you have a job the next day they change something drastically and you don't have one. Management isn't professional and if they dislike you they will fire you. They laid off more than 10,000 people that work for the company because of a "slight" decision they decided to make.

Advice to Senior ManagementAkio Morita, closing down your outlets is going to affect your company very fast. Sony is a expensive brand, the word "outlet" attracts people to the stores. And when you hire people make sure you know who you're interviewing hiring a manager with mental disabilities that doesnt know how to run a store doesn't look good on the company.

Most Junior Testing Department I've Ever Seen

Software QA Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGetting paid to watch TV was fun
    Some pretty cool co-workers
    Fairly laid back if you had the right position

ConsTesting management was unskilled, and unprofessional. When bad SW caused projects to falter, test was blamed for lax work habits, rather than management who set timelines, or developers who under-delivered.

Employees were encouraged to tattle tale on each other, seriously, this happened.

Used Excel spreadsheets for ALL test documentation, no TFS, no HP, not even DevTrack.

No concept of test planning, or pre-planning period.

Management opening admitted Samsung made better products.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop moving test department between Japan and US. Hire some test leads who understand basic principles of SDLC. Cultivate a test department that fits the Sony name. I've worked at big and small companies testing SW for 8 years and this was a layover between real jobs.

Good company, needs strategic direction

ProsThe work life balance is good and so too are the benefits.

ConsThere needs to be more training especially around cultural sensativity with the parent company.

Company at a crossroads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, smart people, great reputation, good benefits solid company that treats its employees well and is up to date with the latest technology.

ConsDownsizing, morale low, little opportunity for advancement, meager raises in the middle of tremendous change with an uncertain future which may mean further layoffs and loss of their knowledge base.

Worked for Sony Electronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sony Electronics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sony Electronics CEO Michael Fasulo. All 369 reviews posted anonymously by Sony Electronics employees.