Sony Electronics

Updated December 20, 2014
3.3

Sony Electronics President & COO Michael Fasulo
Michael Fasulo

Pros
  • Work life balance is better than most, and compensation is above industry average (in 26 reviews)

• Great product, Great people for the most part(the only reason I haven't quit yet (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be off during peak period which can be most of the time (in 12 reviews)

• The senior management team is absolutely clueless on how to bounce back from one dramatic setback after another (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Had so much potential, too bad its too late

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sony Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the products, loved the experience. Build strong customer relationships and you will be very successful. Some employees at home office were amazing and very helpful whenever you needed there help or had an idea.

Cons

Two things bothered me the most while working at Sony, upper management would be the first. General manager of my location was the worst, very smart and had potential but never utiluzed their abilities. No disciplinary actions for those who violated company policies on a regular basis, played favorites among workers, went against your decisions to make you look bad in front of guests, bent over backwards for the customer but not once for your employees. Very disengaged when tried to build a team moral. No type of transparency, not even amongst fellow managers. No leadership qualities at all. Very hard to take serious. And the second would be the employees they hired, no one wanted to work, just there to collect a check and socialize. No customer service or sales experience. Hurt the location and the conpany in a whole. Being that our bonus was based on a collaborative effort it would upset me to see no one cared quarter after quarter. Employees were hired to fit the trends and not to sale. Big mistake

Rethink the current approach. Its not working

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sony in San Diego (Rancho Bernardo) has some good perks- beautiful gym that is open early and closes late and it's only $20 a month, a cafeteria that can make literally anything you want (kinda pricey and not really subsidized) and the hours are very manageable (typical 9-5). Bonus' and pay was pretty good too.

Cons

The creative services team/Sony Direct is really unorganized. Think twice before accepting a job in this group. A lot of people had been there for 15+ years and only know the sony way of things. They laid off more than half the team earlier this year and it seems like turn over is getting worse and worse. People are leaving left and right. Sony Electronics is doing VERY poorly and they can NEVER make their numbers. The group I worked with was a bunch of people who had very little previous experience that was related to their jobs and they all learned on the job at Sony, which as I mentioned above is not the best way of learning how to do your job! It's very corporate too, not a lot of "fun" things done for team building.

Hire people with more experience.

Not a memorable experience

Former Employee - Applied Research Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Applied Research Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sony Electronics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Location is good which is in Silicon valley

Cons

Except the pros: low salary, not good management etc

Human Resources @ Sony... rough job

Former Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL

I worked at Sony Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Abiity to work with passionate people

Cons

It feels as though you're on a sinking ship where people are undervalued and are commonly stepped on and taken advantage of in the name of "The great SONY god"! almost laughable... This is why the company is sinking... without fist treating your people well bad things follow... corporate Karma!

Recognize your products come from people and when you have unhappy people you'll have unhappy everything

I use to love this company! Now its just a paycheck!

Current Employee - Retail Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Electronics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product, Great people for the most part(the only reason I haven't quit yet!). Discounts are pretty good.

Cons

The retail upper management is poorly run! You can still get written up, even after you have a managers approval to do something!!!!!!! HR is useless! If you go to them with a problem, nothing gets done!( I don't trust anyone in HR either!) It is extremely hard for internal employees to advance into other departments! Unless you know someone in that department, they will never look at your resume' or give you the opportunity for an interview, no matter what your qualifications!

Take care of your employees! Stop making them the scapegoat for your failures! Moral is low, and you point the finger at the people who are working the hardest! Its time for for you to put your big boy pants on, and show us what leadership really is! Also, ADVERTISE your freaking product! We are in the country with the biggest potential, and you don't advertise! And you sit there and wonder why we don't have big sales numbers! Time for you to wake up, or get out of retail!

It is changing

Current Employee - Manager, Business Planning in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Business Planning in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Electronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Treat employees fairly well benefit wise

Cons

the company is going thru tough time for years.

I've had a great experience.

Current Employee - Events in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Events in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a great experience at Sony. I've been lucky to be promoted when many people were being laid off. Over the last 5 years I've asked for a raise 4 times and received one. Tons of innovative and intelligent people to work with, many of them I consider friends.

Cons

Leadership is poor. The company will promote an individual not because they deserve it, but because they have good relationships with upper management. This is why I believe the company has struggled over the years.

I believe with the current layoffs, the company is in a good place to make some extremely necessary changes. Unfortunately a ton of people have lost their jobs, but it was necessary in order to get the business back to a profitable state.

Total success in achieving objectives. Given goals and objectives I am to build sales of Home Theater Products.

Current Employee - Senior Sales/Marketing Specialist in La Quinta, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales/Marketing Specialist in La Quinta, CA

I have been working at Sony Electronics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Aggressive growth company with very credible values. Rewards employees to the fullest. Provides positive direction to achieve objectives and trains employees at a very high level.

Cons

To date I am not at full time. Income very fair for my performance. Excellent culture and life style values. My goal is to become full time and work my way to a higher level of management. Currently I do not see a full time opportunity based upon the company direction it is going with their high dollar products in the home theater market.

Expand product line in the Home Theater market. Establish in home consulting division for home theater prospects and total customer satisfaction over piece meal purchases.

Work Environment

I worked at Sony Electronics as a contractor

Pros

Smart, driven individuals. People were always willing to help out.

Cons

I felt a bit anonymous - with corporate decisions being made in Japan, it seemed no one was setting corporate culture.

Great People!

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Electronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay, great people, good atmosphere. Work life balance is good too

Cons

Focused on the wrong priorities, spending too much money on cubicle walls raising and lowering and painting the walls every 2 years, instead of focusing on innovation.