Sony Network Entertainment International

www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

Sony Network Entertainment International Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
Sony Network Entertainment International – “Los Angeles Office”

Sony Network Entertainment International – “Los Angeles Office”

Great place to work with exciting products touching millions of users

Senior Manager - Product Management (Current Employee)

ProsOnce in Sony, you will have a hard time leaving, it is hard to beat when the products and services you are in charge of affects millions of people around the globe. Lot of opportunities to grow and at the same time enhance exciting products and services. Great and smart people. International culture and opportunities for working abroad.

ConsBeing part of a huge organization often also unfortunately mean slower in many aspects as there are more stakeholders and customers to consider and keep happy, which can be frustrating. Large old solutions that takes a lot of time to change and keep up to the changing market.

Advice to Senior ManagementSony is falling behind in regards to maternity and paternity leave. Have heard colleagues and friends discussing just that comparing with other tech companies. Sony Mobile have 6 months, would be a nice benefit and aligned with the Japanese culture to offer longer maternity leave.

Great career starter, slow mid-career.

ProsSNEI is a great place to begin your career, and a great senior level environment.

ConsMid-level career development is lacking unless you overly commit to get what you want. This includes going around those you work with and report to, in the end causing rifts in your internal network. It is not uncommon for employees to leave SNEI during their mid level careers and return for senior level positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more resources to train and develop your employees, then keep them by offering competitive salaries and options.

Lots of potential, great brand, but no commitment to team or tech innovation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsA few very talented and passionate co-workers. Day-to-day chaos can lead to growth opportunities, if you can manage to keep your head above water and work past it.

ConsHuge amount of attrition at every level and function. In less than a year, I watched 70% of my team leave. 2 top executives quit outright (giving no notice), leaving their positions unfilled until a year plus after. New middle and senior management has little to no experience in the space. The culture is becoming increasingly conservative, cliquey and less diverse as the parent company struggles financially. Said passionate and skilled workers were burned through, weren't recognized for their efforts, and left. Successful or innovative work is considered threatening and not rewarded. Not-rocking-the-boat is encouraged. Remaining and new employees are necessarily apathetic and mediocre in order to survive. Zero career growth paths. Strategy is often abandoned and teams are randomized due to pet projects and poor operational planning. Groundhog Day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and then stick to a 21st century strategy. Hire diverse talent with relevant experience or promote high-performers from within. Reward measurable results, not blind loyalty or popular perception.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Harboring incompitence

Producer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou don't have to worry about getting fired. They operate like a studio instead of a technology company so it's easy to get up to speed.

ConsGood Ideas never see the light of day and bad Ideas never get killed. Japanese culture instills a process of conscious which is extremely detrimental in a technology company. No one is given decision making power.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to make decisions.

Growth engine for Sony

ProsGet to work closely with the Playstation team to build great products for gamers.
    Digital experience is very fulfilling, especially since we are growing.

ConsSony overall has business units that are challenging and that can affect other divisions

Great company.. more to grow

ProsGreat people to work with. Very interesting job and fun work environment.

ConsCommunication is suffering but the leadership are working on the issue and it has been improving a lot last 12 months or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe improvement plan is working out. Now we have a great leader in SD office and he is very impressive. I think we are heading to right way.

Review for SNEI

ProsGreat place to Intern at.

ConsNot sure if conversion to Full-time will happen.

A place to kill your time but not to develop your career future

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosflexible working hours; every year there is a holiday shutdown between Christmas and New Years day... that's the only pros I can think of...

Constoo many/frequent changes at management level, senior managers/directors come and go, the working experience in the same company is not recognized by itself, incapable mid-senior management team, almost the entire DB department is called Indian team which implies its recruitment might not be a fair play, too many politics at all levels, you have career future here only if your manager likes you personally, work performance has nothing to do with it...salaries of same level engineers from different groups can be a huge difference...over the long term it's a sinking ship...

Advice to Senior Managementstop changing/re-organizing, define the goals clearly, and give more career development chances to the people who actually did the job

Quality Control Specialist

Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. Lots of space to grow

ConsTo start working there you are hire as a contractor

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is ok

Interesting 4 years

Program Specialist (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThere are great health benefits, great relationships, great environment, easy going

ConsThere are lots of groups that don't know what they are doing. There is really no managing skills, over worked, your job title isnt your only job. You feel like you are doing other peoples jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management doesn't seem organized and trickles down the chain. I work on the project management team and i feel like i should be growning evolving. But i have been doing the same think since i started. I've expressed my feelings of grown and the desire to try new projects but there seems to be limitations.

Worked for Sony Network Entertainment International? Contribute to the Community!