Sony Network Entertainment International

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
CEO

Pros
  • The work environment is extremely lax (in 4 reviews)

• Good work-life balance, working hard to get back in business (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of strong vision and decision making makes for challenging projects and nebulous goals (in 3 reviews)

• New middle and senior management has little to no experience in the space (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

work hard....have fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is pioneering. Not quite a startup anymore, rather an organization striving to grow. Not for everyone. People who excel here are ingenious, see around corners, have an “anything is possible” outlook, live for the mission, are cool to work with, possess tons of resilience and are really top in their craft. Personally, have a great boss, great team and super cool work to do. It’s not by any stretch an easy job - but it’s one where I make a difference every day and have fun doing it.

Cons

The org is behind in building out infrastructure and systems. Organizations have a lot of autonomy - but it also results in silos.

Advice to Management

Invest in the process, infrastructure and systems that enable the business to scale faster - long run game. Also find new and creative ways to unify across the aisles.

2. MBA Intern

I worked at Sony Network Entertainment International

Pros

very open environment, innovative, nice people

Cons

seniors do travel a lot and they are aggressively hiring, hopefully more middle management

3. Great company on the cusp of being Excellent

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International full-time

Pros

The products we work on are amazing, innovating, and inspiring The benefits are great Lots of vacation time to decompress from working hard Having all the technology available to complete your work Management encourages initiative and responsibility, you're not just a cog

Cons

Growth opportunities can seem slower, not provided, or not communicated how to achieve. Sometimes someone from outside takes a position in which an internal promotion would have been a better fit. Trickle down of information lacking. There are lots of innovative, exciting things happening and new directions SNEI is moving, but this information sometimes doesn't trickle down. Try to bring those high level meetings back down to the employees.

Advice to Management

Look internally to hire and promote. It is sometimes discouraging to see someone come in from the outside when an internal employee can easily take the position. Make sure to keep us employees focused by providing "big picture" direction which sometimes doesn't trickle down from VP levels.

5. General Work

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International

Pros

Lots of dedicated, talented people at this company.

Cons

Senior Management is transitioning which doesn't settle well with all employees.

6. Great for gamers

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your a gamer like me, you'll enjoy the cause and contribute to the gamer experience. The launch parties are fun.

Cons

Not on par with SalesForce, Cisco or other top valley employers

Advice to Management

Improve benefits

Used to be a good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Network Entertainment International

Pros

The people were good. Discount on Sony products. Occasional in-house happy hours. Ability to watch some movies pre-release. Without question, the company brand name was good.

Cons

Once the Sr Mgmt crew (all formerly from another well known company in the area) came in and took over things started to go downhill. The company used to support Scrum but started doing things that seemed to be very contrary to agile practices. The attitudes of the new "leadership" was very negative, at least towards existing SNE employees. They were better with the ones they brought in from their former company. This caused many to feel they were being adversarial.

Advice to Management

Remember (or figure out in the first place) who got the company to where it is now. Don't treat them so badly; instead, show some respect.

Great People. Horrible Senior Management.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and culture are great. Discounts on most Sony products. Great place to start your career.

Cons

I stay because not all the senior management is bad, but SNEI has some of the worst senior managers ever. Big egos, no direction, no planning, public ridicule, micro micro micro management.

Advice to Management

Weed out the bad senior managers. They are killing morale.

Marketing

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International

Pros

Relaxed environment. People in general are nice. Some people have been working there forever.

Cons

Very slow company. It may take forever to get promoted. Salary is not competitive. HR team is terrible!!!! They ignore your requestes and never reply to your emails.

Politics are ruining the previous energetic atmosphere

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great for the most part, everyone buckles down and gets things shipped when crunch time, and nobody gets on our case when there's a light workload.

Cons

I hadn't heard of a real firing for years, but now it's rampant. Demotions are all the craze these days, the atmosphere from we're getting from the top is that they don't care about us. They fired our scrum masters, I have yet to meet one person who thinks this was a good decision - everyone agrees that it sucks. The bureaucratic nonsense is frustrating - copy everything from one website and place it to another site to show other people who don't like looking at the first site. This new crew is causing gossip where there was very little before, they are scaring everyone away and there is no end in sight, and no positive gain either.

Advice to Management

Listen to us. The people who've been here for years, we *do* care about the company. We used to like what we were doing. Please don't sink this ship. This is not the right atmosphere. Look at your churn, look at previous years churns. Something is *wrong*, and it's not us. We used to be a relatively flat organization, now we're management layer after management layer, I don't even know who to talk to about problems any more. I never used to think "Is that person too high up to bring this issue to?", now I don't know. Stop pretending this problem isn't here. We all know it, you know you know it, we know you're reading this. Here's my one solid piece of advice: Next all hands, have an anonymous question/suggestion box. Acknowledge them ALL. Acknowledge you know it's an issue. We'll all be better off for it.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sony Network Entertainment International full-time

Pros

Sony/Playstation is a globally recognized brand and company provides decent benefits and perks. Although work is usually not interesting, it could be easy ride depending on the project and your skills. Best suited if you just want to collect paycheck or bite your time for another job.

Cons

It's not an ideal place if you want to grow your skills. Management does not\cannot distinguish between mediocre and excellent work. Only concern is CYA at all levels and projects are usually done by overstaffing\hight maintenance to compensate for incompetency. Insecurity, paranoia and favoritism are common. Bunch of mediocre lifers work here, some of them have b.s. their way to management. If you work here, you'll have many unpleasant encounters with them. Major parts of the company are located elsewhere and usually there's not a lot of opportunity to network with them.

Advice to Management

Change to culture that promotes excellence and growth. Get rid of bad apples.

RSS Feed </> Embed