Sony Online Entertainment

Sony Online Entertainment Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley

John Smedley

Pros:
  • "At least it's a fairly stable job that allows you to enjoy living in San Diego"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Typically the hours don't crunch very much and the day-to-day work/life balance is even"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is too far removed from the actual development process to understand its huge flaws"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Senior management had no idea who you work (workflow) or some of the abuse you put up with dealing with customers"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great company to work for and great mentors

Environment Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as an intern for less than a year

ProsAs an intern, it is a very friendly environment to experience the life of a game artist. The people you work for and with are fun to be around and you can tell they love what they do. It is an all around creative environment where any kind of game artist can be inspired and learn important industry skills.

ConsHardly any cons. Sometimes the break room was out of a particular kind of tea or coffee, but this is bad only if you're picky.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Whatever it is it seems to be working.

A creative and exciting place to work without being micro managed.

Security (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCreativity, opionions, and just being yourself is encouraged. Feel like writing an idea on one of the white walls or the white boards all over the building feel free to. Its a very laid back and stress free environment.

ConsThey like to do what I call, "Test drive before they buy" so they like to contract you out first before deciding if they want to bring you on full-time or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very happy with management and the communication they have with their employee's.

The EQ2 team is great to work with

EverQuest II Game QA (Former Employee)

ProsFun atmosphere
Great people
Quality games
The contract company they use offers great benefits

ConsBetter planning could lead to less OT
Some money issues causing cuts in some of the QOL things like breakfast and OT dinners

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter planning and time gained from pushing back deadlines should be used for polish rather than cramming in more features.

Overall, a great experience.

Artist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe bottom line for upper management is to make good games, retain people over the long haul and provide them with a good way to make a living. They try to make it a fun place to work, and encourage life balance. Yes, making money is important to them, but money is a means to an end. They are loyal to employees as much as practicality will allow. They don't lay people off unless they have to.

ConsThe company has been struggling over the last few years. The games are often too confusing and complex for the general public. The last couple of games were very expensive and did not do as well as expected. They haven't found a way to make a good profit under the new free-to-play business model. Company morale is currently low.

Awesome culture, but at a cost

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than a year

ProsVery laid back. Dress-code, environment, work hours, etc.

ConsStruggling company, light on salaries, bonuses, raises, company events, etc.

Working hard to ship award winning games and satisfy our dedicated fans

Senior Artist (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat compensation and benefits, great co-workers, great games, and great fans.

ConsSome times crunch is excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on the work life balance and long term goals.

A Great Place to Work

Multimedia Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReally great place to work with managers who understand the family to work balance needs of employees. Plus they make video games!

ConsIn my time there they had 3 layoffs. I was caught in the third one in 2011. I don't think there has been one since then.

Pleasant

Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment part-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a fun environment - nice break room, more coffee than you can handle, and as SOE is all about video games, things are generally more relaxed unless there's a crunch fast approaching. The people I work with are great and I am enjoying what I'm doing for the time being.

ConsSOE is all about video games - if you come here looking to eventually leave for other Computer Science sectors, you might be hard-pressed to find experience here that is applicable.

Good environment to work in

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment

ProsCertainly a sense of family that comes from the top down

ConsSometimes that family environment led to employees outstaying their welcome

Sony treats its employees really well, but something seems to hold back the company from making big hits.

Senior Environment Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSalary and benefits are all really good at Sony. The work environments are relaxed and they generally treat their artists with a lot of respect. They send the whole company to movies every once in a while and have random fun employee events. They supply good food when there are mandatory crunch hours.

ConsThere are mandatory late/weekend hours sometimes, but that's the case with pretty much any game company. They typically reward well for this though, with nice bonuses & supplying dinner or random treats. There's a bit of a bureaucracy and hierarchy there where sometimes respecting hierarchy and order is more important than pointing out problems and solving them - especially if they are big and outside your specific department. So there's a lot of "yes man" mentality where you're just better off if you have problems - mostly keeping them to yourself unless it's something you can actually make a difference with yourself, directly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's something about the structure there that makes lower level employees not want to give honest opinions about the current state of the game. So people will sometimes chatter to themselves about big problems that need to be solved and addressed, but for some reason they don't want to be the ones to point them out. It's a big studio where the fat is trimmed from time to time - and no one wants to be the fat. So no one wants to point out the problems because they don't want to offend anyone that might have a say in whether or not they are "trimmed." I don't mean to be too harsh though - that's just probably a big part of why the recent games havent been as big of hits as they could have been. Aside from that, management treats the employees very well and a lot of people have worked a long time there as a result.

Worked for Sony Online Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sony Online Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sony Online Entertainment CEO John Smedley. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Sony Online Entertainment employees.