Sony Online Entertainment

Updated July 25, 2014

2.6

Sony Online Entertainment President John Smedley
John Smedley

Pros
  • It's game development, so that's always a little more fun and laid back than other companies (in 7 reviews)

• At least it's a fairly stable job that allows you to enjoy living in San Diego (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too far removed from the actual development process to understand its huge flaws (in 11 reviews)

• Senior management had no idea who you work (workflow) or some of the abuse you put up with dealing with customers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Employees are NOT NPCs!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at SOE are so creative. Working with the game designers and the artists was quite a kick.

Cons

The team I worked on pretty much ran on long hours, insane deadlines, and incompetent incomprehensible management. The throw the phrase "crunch time" around like it's breakfast cereal, then take off on their own multi-week vacations.

Hire some? Consider replacing most of your directors and all of your VPs with someone who actually knows and/or cares that SOE is a BUSINESS.

Company needs improvement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Prior to the layoffs there was not much crunch time and work/life balance was well rounded.

Cons

At SOE, dialog was focused on results, structural reasons for results, external market reasons for results, any reason for results that did not require an understanding or accountability for what is really going on internally with employees and effective management within the company. There is a lack of emotional intelligence to be honest about what is really going on. SOE has a management issue and it starts by nobody wanting to even talk about it. Because emotional intelligence lacks among top leadership, the problem proliferates at all levels of the organization. There are great people that can’t express themselves, can’t contribute to their potential because questioning the “reality” is not within the company’s culture. Because of this, SOE does not take the risks they need to take to be great, at any level.

Take more responsibility for your actions.

Nobody will appreciate your work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

free coffee; free bagels and donuts on Fridays; every once in a while a free movie theater visit; you can bring your friendly dog

Cons

they hire people only as temps/contractor, unless you are a genius with special skills; they won't ever make you a permanent SOE employee, just so that they won't have to pay for your benefits; you won't make much money, barely enough to be able to make a living; they don't care about quality, more about quantity; everybody there has lost motivation and only wants to leave; regular layoffs make sure that the company is shrinking

care more about your people and you will have employees that will want to do great work to produce successful games; don't beat down everyone's motivation and learn how to appreciate someone

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inexcusably low standards and apathy across the board

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Spotted throughout the company there are actually some really talented, nice people who have learned to just accept the laughably flawed process that Sony Online considers "Game Development". The quality of life of living in San Diego and the fact that all dev teams rarely crunch is pretty nice.

Cons

Sony Online Entertainment is the most bizarre place I've ever worked in my entire life. The standards at SOE are extremely low. I mean LOW. Low as in mind-blowing can not fathom how this company is profitable, how some folks wound up in their positions, and harness such poor effort, quality, and nonsense among the vast majority of their complacent and lethargic employees. If your whole mentality, approach, and general attitude towards making games is "eh, whatever who cares (knowing your work is riddled with bugs, will negatively effect other people/disciplines, and are ok with using broken, buggy, and extremely frustrating and annoying tools, then you will love it at Sony Online Entertainment. It's almost as if they reward mediocrity. If you read more reviews about Sony Online Entertainment, you'll see a pattern of employees past and present complaining about "Upper Management". Well..They're all accurate. The problem with these few people is extremely simple. They're not very good at their jobs. They really want to be; they're just not. When you have people in management positions who simply aren't very good, with subordinates (some of whom) are extremely talented, experienced, and motivated, those subordinates get beat down. Your motivation, creativity, inspiration, drive, passion..Gets BEAT DOWN to the point that you just can't keep spinning your wheels and just give up to the corporate & political world that is Sony Online Entertainment. The further you reach, in attempting to get information about a product or design will result in you being perceived as someone who's a lone wolf or going against the grain and it is EXTREMELY uninspiring to work in this type of atmosphere. It's a real shame that other studios are forced to close their doors who have such healthy game development processes and people, while (somehow) Sony Online hasn't closed due to making completely average (at best) games. Totally mind baffling.

I honestly don't think there is anything I could say that any manager at Sony Online Entertainment would ever actually take into consideration. They're mostly all stubborn know it all's who one way or another suck up to the president, Smed.

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid

Current Employee - Developer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Typically the hours don't crunch very much and the day-to-day work/life balance is even.

Cons

This company is riddled with people who have simply given up, or newbs being trained by beaten down has-been's. It's like a retirement home for developers who once cared about making great games. It is truly uninspiring to work in this atmosphere and it most definitely shows in the games that SOE produces (Even though upper management and Smed say that they're so amazing..yea (cough) sure). You will probably move up in the company if you "play ball" (aka: kiss ass, keep your mouth shut, and don't rock the boat), and in doing so you're basically selling out to a corporate/political force that is very much present. The management is the most incompetent I've ever seen, they allow employees to get away with unacceptably low standards of quality and effort and never take action on anyone or anything even though it's obvious that they should. Most people who work here have families so they are simply not willing to open their mouths, send that email, or ask that question that NEEDS TO BE ASKED/DONE. Everyone has given up and it is NOT the place to be if you are interested in making great games. I didn't feel lucky to work at SOE in any sense and quite frankly felt as though I took many steps backwards in my career.

Fire yourselves.

A flaming hole of suck

Former Employee - Associate Producer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free bottled water... that's about it.

Cons

Nepotism and gross incompetence at the executive and director levels. I worked on multiple projects ordered by the exec team that resulted in negative revenue or 0% conversion. I was also instructed to work on multiple projects that were cancelled suddenly without explanation. Essentially... there is no coherent strategy or direction. Ever.

General inattention to quality by a lot of C-grade employees who make up a disturbing proportion of the workforce. Software bugs in everything - both the games and the websites. If you work here, be prepared to do your own QA on any project.

Processes are a horrible mutation of Agile which don't resemble any industry standard that I'm aware of.

P.S. Working on smoggy Miramar Road will cut your life expectancy by 2 years.

Clean up your infrastructure and fire ineffective people.

Do not work here

Current Employee - QA Tester  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - QA Tester in San Diego, CA

Pros

Free Coffee and Ping Pong Tables

Cons

Terrible pay, excessive overtime, clique like managements. Outdated software development techniques. Life becomes the job, not family friendly.

Listen to your employees and care for their needs. Implement new strategies for success, and forget about what you did in the 90's.

Poor scheduling and oblivious management

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being part of the Sony family comes with some perks. Regular employees are generally talented and professional.

Cons

Completely broken schedule. Very poor awareness of environment by management. Cronyism. Old Boys Club. I've also heard from many of the programmers (what's left of them) that the game code is some of the worst coding they've ever seen and that they are constantly told there isn't any time for improvements. They also for whatever reason decided to break up an already understaffed client team to work on another project.

There isn't much advice to give to management that they haven't already heard. I think there is a general refusal to accept reality here. It has been said before but there is an obvious attachment to certain individuals at the company that anywhere else would be fired for a small fraction of the failures that have happened on their watch. Between the finger pointing when things go wrong, to an obvious lack of understanding in the subject matter that they are supposed to be experts in, it really forces the rest of us to take on their responsibilities while getting paid a fraction of what they do to sit in a closed office doing who knows what. I've watched several people come and go in short time and the reasons for leaving are always bad management and bad planning.

Why SOE still exists is one of life's great mysteries...

Former Employee - 3D Artist I  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - 3D Artist I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefits
    Great Networking Opportunities

Cons

Incompetent Management
    Creatively Stifling Atmosphere
    Laughable Development Cycles
    Terrible Games

Why this company still operates to this day baffles me. SOE was founded on what could honestly be called a fluke. Everquest debuted in 1999 as one of the first 3D MMOs and it gained popularity for being innovative, and one of a kind. Even though it was deeply flawed, lacked any kind of artistic style, or substance it still garnered a massive following and made everyone at SOE insanely rich. I heard stories of employees receiving bonus checks and then returning from lunch in extravagant sports cars. The problem is all the original management operate on the belief that one day SOE will return to those glory days and it's painfully apparent that mentality dictates how every game has been developed since then.

SOE games are not developed to be fun, creative, or rewarding experiences for the player. They are made to drain as much money from them as possible. The diction and vocabulary that dominates meetings is all about sales figures, user retention, exploring new ways to exploit the user, and destroying the competition. They motivate you with the promise of bloated bonuses, royalty checks (which I have never seen in my 5 years), raises, all with the successful launch of a new game. You simply can't motivate creative people in this way. We didn't go into games to make us rich, we did it because there we have an inherent passion to use this amazing medium to develop games that will inspire, enrich, and entertain the player. If you make games with the sole purpose to become rich, you'll neither become rich, or make great games. I believe it's this simple fundamental flaw in SOE's leadership that continues to ruin any potential to make great games.

Another problem are the ways the games are developed. For whatever reason SOE feels the need to re-invent the wheel each and every time never retaining the invaluable lessons learned from prior failures. Because of this games are never developed correctly. I've never seen a game go through a proper pre-production phase, a prototype stage, and once the game reaches a beta level it's never fully tested. It's rushed out the door and launched in a broken, bug ridden state that continually hurt SOE's reputation.

SOE hemorrhages talent. One positive thing about SOE is they hire a lot of artists out of school, and it's a great opportunity for them to gain experience, ship a title or two, and move on. This is unfortunate because I've seen a lot of very talented, passionate people come and go and if SOE could retain more of that talent the environment and quality of the games would improve. The people who remain at SOE have been there a very long time and have grown complacent with receiving their paycheck, releasing sub-par games, and are completely unmotivated to do much else. There are quite a few cliques and it can feel a bit like high school at times which is detrimental to the functionality of a team. The big problem here is that a lot of the management has been home grown, people who worked themselves up from QA, fixing and finding bugs, to managerial positions with responsibilities so beyond their skill set and experience level it baffles the mind. SOE also promotes members of QA to the design team. You have to admire the motivation of someone who worked at Burger King, got a job doing Quality Assurance at SOE, then became a designer. It's a romantic idea, but the fact is these people have absolutely no experience designing games, and when all their knowledge of design comes from poorly designed games, well, you can see there is an obvious problem here.

When I quit SOE Smedley had just implemented a mandatory arrangement where every person on the team had to dedicate work time to taking phone calls as a customer service representative. Yes, I am not joking. SOE had laid off a large part of the work force in 2012, closed a number of studios, and as a result artists, programmers, designers, and everyone else had to take customer service training to answer phone calls and troubleshoot customer problems. I don't know if that is still in effect, but just the fact they decided to do this meant it was time to go.

Gut the management. Find some new blood with a relevant, up to date understanding of the industry and restructure. You're no longer qualified to make decisions at that level and every time you do you're making things monumentally worse. Stop hiring temps, outsourcing, people from QA and properly invest in top tier talent. Finally, listen. Trust the people you bring in from the outside. They have great ideas, and are being paid to share the invaluable experience they've had working for other more successful developers.

Politics, Politics, Politics

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay and good benefits.

Cons

Terrible management and lots of backstabbing between employees. Inexperienced studio management making very poor development decisions and blaming failure on lower employees. Terrible understanding of scheduling and process. Hostile attitudes toward employees wanting to transfer from one SOE office to another.

Honestly, I think the place is so broken they need to be shut down and Sony needs to start over.

Worked for Sony Online Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!