Sony Pictures Entertainment

Sony Pictures Entertainment Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Sony Pictures Entertainment Co-Chairman and CEO Michael M. Lynton

Michael M. Lynton

Pros
  • Great work environment, paid internship, great learning opportunities, beautiful studio lot(in 15 reviews)

• Has great work life balance programs that help keep employees from getting burned out(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of my time there was good although there was no work/life balance in my position (all work)(in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication in corporate policies or new policies(in 4 reviews)

Excellent. I went from temp to assistant to analyst to my dream job in another division of the company

Writer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThere is a wealth of opportunity and a decent amount of interaction between different divisions. There are a lot of perks including screenings, discounts on Sony electronics and good benefits.

ConsIt's easy to be a victim of corporate shifts;downsizing and there are a lot of jobs without opportunity for growth,

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for people to move between divisions of the companies and stop letting outside consultants dictate decisions.

Enjoyed my time time there, sorry to go - yet relived at the same time

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGood pay. Great incentive programs - solar panels and hybrid cars fund matching, emphasis on green programs. Great lunch programs on lot. Someone is doing the right things for employees at Sony.

ConsLike any large company, your work environment is driven by your immediate supervisor(s) - some good, some bad. Different departments are still adversarial towards each other despite the corporate stance of "Sony United". Apparently the old ways are still hard to break.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire Bain for your internal evaluations without expecting a black eye with your employee morale.

A good company to work for in Entertainment Industry

Senior Applications Lead (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGood Work Culture, salary and benefits

ConsToo much internal politics between teams

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally a good place to work.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsSPE has great incentive programs like financial assistance with hybrid cars and solar panel purchases, many green programs, good local lunches on lot.

ConsLike any workplace, your job is directly affected by your supervisor(s). Most of my time there was good although there was no work/life balance in my position (all work).
    Hard to work with other divisions at times, much to the chagrin of their tagline "Sony United".
    I guess some old habits are hard to break.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire Bain & Co. if you do not want your employee morale to take a hit...

Great experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsA great place to learn your job if you're willing to work hard and keep your eyes peeled. The benefits were especially nice. As mentioned elsewhere, a relaxed environment, but not inappropriately so.

ConsTop heavy and stingy with promotions.

Generally very pro-employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosdecent food for employees in the subsidized commissary, nice employee culture, nice facilities, free gym

Consworkload is so heavy its difficult to take vacation time, communication is pretty poor across all lines of business

Great benefits, love being on the lot

Coordinator (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsMany networking opportunities, open communication with executives & open office house with execs, good with recognition on good work

ConsMany workflow changes, can be confusing/cause issues

A great company to work for in the Entertainment Industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSony is one of the larger entertainment companies and this allows great experiences for its employees and interns. All the individuals that work here love what they do.

ConsThe company is so large that you can occasionally feel like just another employee. The intern program occasionally included time consuming tasks that were not specific to our position but required.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if more time was spent networking during the internship meetings.

Great internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsGreat work environment, paid internship, great learning opportunities, beautiful studio lot

ConsDefinitely wish I got to contribute a little more to my department, didn't get a chance to meet with other interns on a personal level.

Machiavellian Nightmare

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, great quality of life, high-profile setting, incredible surroundings, nice perks

ConsWay too many lifers, stagnation, Dilbert-esque situations

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your reports accountable. Stop worrying about your jobs and tenure and start implementing real change. Have courage to make changes and follow Daniel Loeb's advice and remove yourselves from the thumb of Sony Corp to really find out what true innovation is.

Worked for Sony Pictures Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!