Sony Pictures Entertainment

Updated February 25, 2015
3.7

Sony Pictures Entertainment Co-Chairman and CEO Michael M. Lynton
Michael M. Lynton

Pros
  • Has great work life balance programs that help keep employees from getting burned out (in 17 reviews)

• Great work environment, paid internship, great learning opportunities, beautiful studio lot (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of my time there was good although there was no work/life balance in my position (all work) (in 6 reviews)

• Lack of communication in corporate policies or new policies (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

128 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

One of the better major studios to work at in the film industry.

Former Employee - Director in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Centralized location, good employee benefits

Cons

The company has been shrinking consistently over the past few years.

Focus more on career development to ensure talent turnover stays at a minimum.

Great Company!

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment

Pros

A very employee centric company.

Cons

There was a lack of planned training for on the job duties.

Okay Company - GREAT Benefits

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, great employee perks. Great opportunity to learn different aspects of the entertainment industry from the inside. Outstanding people.

Cons

Women generally make less money than men - for the same job. Advancement opportunities are slim and/or non-existent. Very few "minorities" (Blacks, Latinos, Asian Americans) in leadership positions. Very few women in leadership positions.

Fire the IT department that jeopardized 40,000 employees' confidential identities - including mine. Please mentor and promote more ethnic minorities.

Great internship experience

Former Intern - For Domestic Networks, Finance in Culver City, CA
    Former Intern - For Domestic Networks, Finance in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I loved interning here because of its fast paced environment. It really gave me a feel of how "real life" accounting would be like. My managers and people I worked with were amazing! They gave my projects that definitely helped me understand accounting/finance better. They gave me real work, not the typical photocopy, busy work and errands like other internships. It felt like an actual job! Also, had team meetings every week and team lunches every month! VP and Co-CFO were both very humble and easy to talk to!

Cons

Wish the internship started sooner. Since I was just an intern, I didn't get any benefits.

The company as a whole was good. Lots of perks.

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Analyst in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment

Pros

The free shirts, hats, food were good. On the lot was great because of all the restaurants and shops.

Cons

Some of the managers were lacking real motivation skills, difficult to move to another department.

Get real people skills, motivation is key to get real loyalty from emploees

Loved the environment, the people, the area

Current Contractor - Assistant Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - Assistant Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Really loved working on the lot, the work was fun, and the people were really great. Things went fast and fun

Cons

If you're a free-lancer they make you take a week off every 6 weeks, which can really work against you if you're trying to maintain a budget

Loved working here-

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many ex-employees are bashing and bringing legal action against Sony because of the hack. But I'd still be there if I hadn't moved. I loved working at Sony and even tho they did not encrypt our personal records...they took care of us and cared about the employees. Having been a long term staff member my compensation was high, I don't think I'll find another gig like that if I move back. We had a great team and we all loved our jobs...great social environment and sense of community.

Cons

After the layoffs we did have to work way too hard...each of us probably filling the shoes of 2 or 3 people. I can't think of anything that I thought was unfair. We had better amenities before the cost cutting measures over the fast 5 years or so- but personally I don't care about free coke. It may be difficult to overcome the challenges created by the cyber attack, wait and see. And I agree that career paths and promotions are political in nature...not always based on your performance.

Do you really need to slash as much as you have? Don't forget... your biggest asset is your talent...don't let them go, you lose the integrity of a 1st tier studio and become a 2nd tier...be careful. And you better do some kind of study to see if anyone will work with Amy after the past month.

Top heavy, incompetency, corporate culture

Former Employee - Analyst in Culver City, CA

I worked at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Compensation and benefits were decent.
    -Nice campus,Coffee Bean, Yogurt land, etc. (gets old very fast).
    -Weekly movie screenings (gets old very fast).
    -Breaking Bad motor home and Ghost Busters car.

Cons

I highly advise against working here. While working at a fortune 500 company like Sony might seem enticing, save yourself frustration, and look elsewhere.

For those who have only worked at big corporations like this, you may not mind or even notice what I'm talking about. For those out there who have worked at smaller/progressive work places - look the other way, you won't make it past 6 months here.

Cons:
    -Rigid culture - Strong corporate culture, a world that just hasn't caught on. Awkward business casual requirement in non-client facing roles. Felt like I was working in a corporate nightmare back in 1994.
    -Micro-Management and Incompetency - Managers who have no sense of department responsibilities, goals, or vision for growth. Exactly that, 'Managers' not leaders, the type of superiors who FWD emails for others to answer, play on Pinterest and FB all day, take 3 hour lunches, and loudly proclaim when they need to "hop on a call" or "do lunch with someone"
    -Annoying loud singing and blasting of bass by higher ups.
    -Complacent culture, one that doesn't promote or encourage growth, overall lack of drive and ambition.
    -Lack of direction.
    -Internal technology is behind on the times. Lack thereof equipment for employees (old desktop computer and one small monitor).

-Higher ups need training on progressive thinking.
    -Take a step back and slim down management hierarchy.
    -Hire new/fresh talent.
    -Restructure management and do away with Office Space like management style.
    -Provide employees with the resources they need to do their jobs more efficiently.
    -Don't be afraid of change.

Enjoy working at Sony

Current Employee - Vice President Finance in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Finance in Culver City, CA

Pros

Great team and not a lot of typical Hollywood attitude.

Cons

Under staffed and long hours at peak times.

Good Perks, Tough Work/Personal Life Balance.

Current Employee - Project Supervisor in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Project Supervisor in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Sony Pictures Entertainment full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Perks and benefits are better than most businesses, in any field. Historic studio lot. Many opportunities to interact with a variety of departments.

Cons

Compensation is always minimal due to other failing divisions within the Sony conglomerate. "Lays-off" talented and experienced employees for young inexperienced kids with no responsibilities that will work however many hours "requested" in fear of losing their jobs.

Relish and honor your experienced staff. Utilize them as mentors to the next generation of professionals. As a creative entertainment company removing the stuffy corporate environment that has permeated the workplace. Quality production is seriously compromised as the CYA mentality is rampant.

Sony Pictures Entertainment Photos